Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Big changes could be in store for student loan borrowers

What I find mind-boggling over claims like those in the article where they assert 3K defaults per day is that it says we are churning out graduates who are too stupid to file the form for a forebearance.  There is NO excuse for a loan to go into default status...none. 

So all these student loans for these snowflakes - who thought paying six figures for a master's degree in Political Marketing Science would get them a six figure income and they find out that assistant fry cooks at Mickey D's make more money then they do - get their loans forgiven. Then what? Another generation of snowflakes get their Ph.D's in Gender Studies and rack up a six figure loan debt that will be forgiven too?

I don't agree with the discharging of student loans. Its just adding to the problem, by saying just go get an education, if you cant pay you can get out of it, 

I am in agreeance with centex, the options for people who have student loan debt are plentiful, forbearance, Income Based Repayment, and certain other programs are out there to assist a borrower no reason for a default, 

I thought I would have qualified through the Public Service Student Loan Forgiveness, but by the time I am eligible I'll have no student loans anyway,  

32 minutes ago, unleashedfury said:

I don't agree with the discharging of student loans. Its just adding to the problem, by saying just go get an education, if you cant pay you can get out of it, 

just like the people who say, I'll go out and start a business and if I can't repay the loans I take out to support it I'll get out of it...

16 hours ago, unleashedfury said:

I thought I would have qualified through the Public Service Student Loan Forgiveness, but by the time I am eligible I'll have no student loans anyway,  

You have read on here and other places about the flaming hoops and alligator infested swamps that borrowers are needed to cross in order to actually receive the PSLF??

29 minutes ago, IndyPoolPlayer said:

You have read on here and other places about the flaming hoops and alligator infested swamps that borrowers are needed to cross in order to actually receive the PSLF??

Oh God Yes, and the way I paid my loans even though I was in IBR I was looking to wipe them out completely, in less than 10 years. so I wouldn't qualify anyway. You need 120 payments made during the time you were working at a public sector job, and in the IBR, essentially you have to be attending school working full time in public sector and making payments during that time to qualify for it, A friend of mine was a pharmacy tech as she went through Pharmacist school and paid her loans throughout thinking she would qualify, Nope. ,

IF and that's a big IF they give it to you.