Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Equifax: Legislative Security Freeze in Place??

8 hours ago, Trapped by Fico said:

Was a freeze on it but was lifted prior to requesting this report (or so I thought)???

Did you do a temporary lift or a permanent removal of the security freeze?

And why lift the freeze? These days with all the data breaches it’s probably better to keep everything frozen unless you’re applying for something. 

12 hours ago, hegemony said:

so sorry to hear about your ID theft.

The OP made NO reference to ID theft and the question asked also did NOT pertain to this issue....

8 hours ago, Rogue said:

The OP made NO reference to ID theft and the question asked also did NOT pertain to this issue....

The original intent of credit freeze legislation was to assist actual victims, not to permit the manipulation of the process in seeking new credit.  Hence what I expect to have been the reasoning behind hege's comment...

10 hours ago, centex said:

The original intent of credit freeze legislation was to assist actual victims, not to permit the manipulation of the process in seeking new credit.  Hence what I expect to have been the reasoning behind hege's comment...

you're so cute when you hegesplain!!  🥰

16 hours ago, centex said:

We all know this, however ID theft in thus far NOT the issue in this thread and you obviously missed the fact Hege was just be a sarcastic jack*** who has posted this same moronic comment hundreds of times which is completely counterproductive to the purpose of CB.....

How could someone not know they had a Security Freeze placed on any major CRA?  Or if one had indeed placed a Security Freeze how could one ask what it was legitimately?  Doesn't make sense to me.

23 hours ago, centex said:

Anybody on CB longer than a week with an IQ >5 pretty much games everything.  Nobody cares about the original intent of anything as long as we can twist it to accomplish what we want.  

2 hours ago, PotO said:

Anybody on CB longer than a week with an IQ >5 pretty much games everything.  Nobody cares about the original intent of anything as long as we can twist it to accomplish what we want.  

The sad thing is that so few people take the time to realize how this adversely impacts actual victims.  Further, the manipulations make it that much more difficult for actual victims to GET the assistance they need as they recover from the actions of criminals. 

The abuse of the system has long-term impacts.  I've offered my own history as a victim and the fact that the lack of meaningful recourse makes it easy for BofA to continue to hold the losses against me even though I was the victim.  Those losses were MBNA ledgers but acquired in the merger with BofA...and despite being more than 15 years ago, they STILL come up in each effort to get a line increase from BofA.  

There are reasons we who are actual victims of identity theft take offense to the manipulations of the process.   Freezes were not designed so that people who screwed up their own credit could play a credit report shell game in seeking new credit. 

3 hours ago, centex said:

The sad thing is that so few people take the time to realize how this adversely impacts actual victims.  Further, the manipulations make it that much more difficult for actual victims to GET the assistance they need as they recover from the actions of criminals. 

The abuse of the system has long-term impacts.  I've offered my own history as a victim and the fact that the lack of meaningful recourse makes it easy for BofA to continue to hold the losses against me even though I was the victim.  Those losses were MBNA ledgers but acquired in the merger with BofA...and despite being more than 15 years ago, they STILL come up in each effort to get a line increase from BofA.  

There are reasons we who are actual victims of identity theft take offense to the manipulations of the process.   Freezes were not designed so that people who screwed up their own credit could play a credit report shell game in seeking new credit. 

I see your point, but security freezes are very useful in preventing fraudulent accounts from being opened by ID thieves. I’d rather be proactive and lock everything down now rather than have to fix a problem afterwards. 
Yes, people manipulating the system so that a potential creditor only sees a specific report isn’t what was intended. But that could easily be solved by creditors requiring access to all 3 reports for new accounts. The mortgage industry already has this requirement. 

5 hours ago, DPB said:

Yes, people manipulating the system so that a potential creditor only sees a specific report isn’t what was intended. But that could easily be solved by creditors requiring access to all 3 reports for new accounts. The mortgage industry already has this requirement. 

Lots of luck with that brain fart.  CapOne pulls all three ... except when you lock down one and then they approve you after pulling only two.  If all credit card lenders start pulling three, they are only shooting them selves in the foot -- probably both feet.

Mortgage lenders are a whole different ball game and I seriously doubt anybody here has imagined trying to freeze a credit report to game the mortgage process. 

Nice try, though.  

8 hours ago, centex said:

Cry me a river.  I'll take a pass on your pity party invitation.

People use and abuse freezes to limit CapOne and to "guide" creditors to their most favorable credit reports every day here on CB.  Then we use and abuse other tools to get perfectly valid crap off of credit reports.  What about *B and *D that CBers used and abused  to our advantage?  M$ anybody?

We use and abuse just about everything here in ways for which it was not originally intended. That's the nature of the beast.  Being a whiny little beach over it is pure hypocrisy.  

2 hours ago, PotO said:

Lots of luck with that brain fart.  CapOne pulls all three ... except when you lock down one and then they approve you after pulling only two.  If all credit card lenders start pulling three, they are only shooting them selves in the foot -- probably both feet.

Mortgage lenders are a whole different ball game and I seriously doubt anybody here has imagined trying to freeze a credit report to game the mortgage process. 

Nice try, though.  

I wasn’t suggesting that lenders should do that, just that they could if they really wanted to. The fact that they don’t require a pull of all three reports means they don’t think it’s necessary since it would be easy enough to implement. I was only pointing out that lenders could do it if they really cared. It’s not like the CC companies aren’t aware that this is being done. They obviously don’t care that much about it. Your Cap1 reference proves they don’t care. Otherwise they’d just deny the app for not being able to access the frozen report. 

I’ve never done this since my reports and scores have always been pretty equal between the CRAs. But if I wanted a specific card and had one bad report, I’d do it without feeling any guilt. 

As a victim of ID theft that is having a problem with this exact message despite lifting my regular credit freeze (and confirming it is lifted), I'm unimpressed by the useless BS flying back and forth here.

I've called several times and had limited success with fixing this.  Most Equifax support people are clueless.  It seemed like I was making progress with one call center until they needed to get a "confirmation code", and then they spun their wheels because of a "system update" and asked me to call back in an hour.  My working theory is that there is a separate less-used tag for freezes, possibly as a result of being one of the first people to get a credit freeze under state credit laws.  It looks like I'm going to need to refi with a bank that takes this stupidity into account.

2 hours ago, osnelson said:

As a victim of ID theft that is having a problem with this exact message despite lifting my regular credit freeze (and confirming it is lifted), I'm unimpressed by the useless BS flying back and forth here.

I've called several times and had limited success with fixing this.  Most Equifax support people are clueless.  It seemed like I was making progress with one call center until they needed to get a "confirmation code", and then they spun their wheels because of a "system update" and asked me to call back in an hour.  My working theory is that there is a separate less-used tag for freezes, possibly as a result of being one of the first people to get a credit freeze under state credit laws.  It looks like I'm going to need to refi with a bank that takes this stupidity into account.

welcome to CB!

I guess I missed where anyone said ID theft isn't serious. While :offtopic: here is a thread that might explain some of the bantering you are unimpressed with:

Regarding your particular problem, can YOU pull your EQ report from ACR or a third party like myfico.com? Is the error message for your EQ something about fraud. Does it say something like " information identified as fraudulent by consumer?" Or is it something else?

If you haven't see it, @dredee0recently dealt with something like this. 

Edited by hegemony

4 hours ago, hegemony said:

I guess I missed where anyone said ID theft isn't serious. While :offtopic: here is a thread that might explain some of the bantering you are unimpressed with:

Well, today is Friday.