Sign in to follow this  
swingline

strange credit card application response...

Good Day,

I recently applied for a credit card and received a rejection notice with the reason:

Unable to verify your identity on the front; and on the back it listed:

Your credit Score: 790

Source: Experian    Date: 09/28/2019

I called the bank and asked them why if they felt they could not verify my identity, they thought it was OK to send some "unverified" person my credit score.  They told me it was the law that they had to.  Additionally they told me that I could continue my application if I sent them my driver's license, a recent utility bill and proof of income.

I asked them if they always mixed up their CIP process with determining credit worthiness (since asking for the POI seemed odd at this point) and they said they could do whatever they wanted, and any P&P documenting this as normal was internal to the bank and could not be shared with me.

Could you please tell me if there are any FCRA violations here and/or what you think I should do?

Have a Nice Day,

Swingline

Edited by swingline

I had something similar happen with Amex a few years ago.  It was for a business card and my brother and I are partners. He had just recently moved and was renting a house.  So his address didn't match up to what was in his credit file. 

It was a bit of a PITA having to send utility statements and a copy of the DL, but that is what they asked for.  We got our new Amex cards soon after, FYI.

Is your address from the application one that is on your credit reports?  If not, then there is your answer...part of the whole know-your-customer requirements at the federal level. 

Thanks folks.  Yes, my address is the same.

My concern is if they're saying they can't verify my identity; so why do they think it is OK for them to send my credit score in the denial letter?

Because regulators said they have to. They have to send out an Adverse Action Letter with the reason for all declines. That’s it they are correct they had to send it and they did.

Not the first or last regulation that doesn’t always make sense.

So, to be clear...there was not even a denial here.  They simply told you they wanted more information.  It was your choice to continue or to not continue.  But, given that this was likely Synchrony, it was to your advantage that they didn't want to immediately give you an account.  They and Comenity are the ones most noted for this sort of nonsense...

But the release of a score harms you not one whit even if it was viewed by someone other than you...

This is completely normal. Not strange at all. 

Send them the verification documents and get the card. 

Edited by shifter

17 hours ago, swingline said:

Good Day,

I recently applied for a credit card and received a rejection notice with the reason:

I called the bank and asked them why if they felt they could not verify my identity, they thought it was OK to send some "unverified" person my credit score.  They told me it was the law that they had to.  Additionally they told me that I could continue my application if I sent them my driver's license, a recent utility bill and proof of income.

I asked them if they always mixed up their CIP process with determining credit worthiness (since asking for the POI seemed odd at this point) and they said they could do whatever they wanted, and any P&P documenting this as normal was internal to the bank and could not be shared with me.

Could you please tell me if there are any FCRA violations here and/or what you think I should do?

Have a Nice Day,

Swingline

First to answer your questions.

1.  No FCRA violations at all.

2.  Give them the docs they requested or STFU and move along.

Can't believe you have been on CB over ten years and don't know WTF "Unable to verify identity" encompasses.  Is your given address a residential address?  Credit bureaus warn subscribers when an address is not a residential address.  If there is one single piece of information you gave on your application that is not verifiable when the creditor accesses your credit reports, that also means "Unable to verify identity".  

Beyond address, some have reported issues through the years when they are using cell phones as their primary number.  There ARE advantages to good old twisted pair numbers...

Some good responses, but also a lot of wrong assumptions (Centex/Mr. Mean) and then attacks based on those.

To set the record straight:

#1 This was a denial letter.   They sent me a letter with my correct credit score and told me they couldn't verify my identity and denied me.  I subsequently called them, and the agent told me they'd consider my application if I provided the additional information.  However, that was not invited in the letter which was a hard denial with no options.

#2 This was not Synchrony.

#3 I was subsequently asked for information that had nothing to do with their CIP process, yet the denial was supposedly based on not being able to verify my identity.

#4 I used my house address that I've had for 20 years, and my landline that I've had just as long.

I came here for help and I appreciate the advice.  But the assumptions and attacks were unwarranted. 

Not seeing the attacks, but then again, I don't look at posts through the lens of the bubble-wrap generation.  

32 minutes ago, swingline said:

Some good responses, but also a lot of wrong assumptions (Centex/Mr. Mean) and then attacks based on those.

#1 This was a denial letter.   They sent me a letter with my correct credit score and told me they couldn't verify my identity and denied me.  I subsequently called them, and the agent told me they'd consider my application if I provided the additional information.  However, that was not invited in the letter which was a hard denial with no options.

#3 I was subsequently asked for information that had nothing to do with their CIP process, yet the denial was supposedly based on not being able to verify my identity.

#4 I used my house address that I've had for 20 years, and my landline that I've had just as long.

I came here for help and I appreciate the advice.  But the assumptions and attacks were unwarranted.

Consider the following:

-- Any "assumptions" centex (or others) presented are extended merely in an effort to try and make sense of what you've observed.  Like any assumption, if it turns out that they're not applicable to your situation, you simply reject any conclusions based on the assumption.  No need to take offense at someone suggesting a reason for an outcome, based upon another anecdote with similar outcome.  "Unwarranted" isn't the right call here.

-- re PotO and the perceived attack:   A post by someone whose epithet is "Mr. Mean" is unlikely to deliver up a bouquet with their input.  For lack of a better term, it's his "shtick".

Yeah, I drew offense at his first couple of replies to my posts.  But it didn't take too long before I found that in reading his replies to me and others that if I extract the "attitude" from the reply, what remains tends to be some of the most spot on observations by anyone on this board.  If you've been blindsided as I was at first, I get it.  All I can advise is to "put your ego in check" and grasp the kernel of his posts.  You'll be wiser for it (and, like any observation or advice, if it doesn't fit your situation, disregard it and move on).

-- re #1:  Yes, a "denial letter" is a denial letter.  But any denial letter can be based on reasoning that leaves room for reconsideration.  "Cannot verify identity" is perhaps the most bold-faced example.  It begs a phone call to see what you can do to resolve the concern.  (Which, of course you did -- that action is a matter of common sense, if you want the card; it doesn't need an "invitation".)

-- re #3:  Does it matter what the requested information/documentation has to do with, as long as it's not unreasonable to provide (as in, it jeopardizes your security, or some other concern -- not simply that you don't understand why they want it).  And, if for some reason you feel providing the information puts you at risk in some fashion, tell them this and ask if there an alternative.  Bottom line, you're the one that wants the account.  Walking away isn't likely going to benefit you; of course, you're within your right to do so (just understand that you're the one making that call, not the lender).

OP, in your read of the FCRA, what possible violation could there be? How much have you been damaged?

7 hours ago, swingline said:

Jethro, you have no case.  There's no FCRA violation.  Nada. Zilch.  

All it takes is one single little mismatch and they can call your identity into question.  Maybe they don't like your IP address.  Perhaps your employer isn't listed on your credit report.  There are literally dozens of reasons why.  Then there's the pesky little issue of many creditors pulling more than just your normal credit report.  There are many supplementary credit reporting entities that provide ID data and all it takes is one little inconsistency. 

I'm going out on a limb here assuming you can actually read, but then we have the fine print at the bottom of every application.  They have the right to request additional data or documentation to verify every single piece of information on the application whether you like it or not.  If it bruises your itty bitty ego, too bad.

But you can sue.  There's not one single lawyer in America with an IQ above 10 that will take your case without a hefty upfront retainer.  First of all, you have no damages other than the big box of Kleenex to dry your eyes and a First Class stamp to mail in the requested documents.  Should you win, there's no guarantee you get awarded legal fees and expenses.  

Yes, there are statutory minimums in FCRA damages.  Unlike, however, with the FDCPA, the FCRA statutory minimums are laughable -- often as low as $100.  If being a whiny little beach is worth $100 for you ... if you need $100 to supplement your food stamp allotment ... then go for it.

Otherwise just STFU and give them the documents they require or just be a man, ignore your itty bitty bruised ego and move on.  

I wasn't looking to have a "case" against anyone.  It just seemed completely against common sense to send me a hard denial on the front of a letter, with the reason that they could not verify my identity, and then give personal details about my credit history on the back.

Now if the front of the letter had said, "we would like additional details in order to further process your application" - OR - if the back of the letter contained no details about my credit report, I wouldn't have raised an eyebrow at either scenario.

This is similar to seeing a credit report when my score is 800+ and then underneath it lists "reasons" why my score isn't higher, and none of them apply.  It's just sloppy.

So I did submit everything they wanted, and they approved the card.  But it still was a weird experience.

Ever since I joined CB and started reading actively, I can go a whole day without may daytime soaps and never feel deprived!!

13 minutes ago, hdporter said:

Ever since I joined CB and started reading actively, I can go a whole day without may daytime soaps and never feel deprived!!

like sand through the hour glass...

8 hours ago, swingline said:

I wasn't looking to have a "case" against anyone.  It just seemed completely against common sense to send me a hard denial on the front of a letter, with the reason that they could not verify my identity, and then give personal details about my credit history on the back.

Now if the front of the letter had said, "we would like additional details in order to further process your application" - OR - if the back of the letter contained no details about my credit report, I wouldn't have raised an eyebrow at either scenario.

This is similar to seeing a credit report when my score is 800+ and then underneath it lists "reasons" why my score isn't higher, and none of them apply.  It's just sloppy.

So I did submit everything they wanted, and they approved the card.  But it still was a weird experience.

You and I have a different concept of "common sense" than credit grantors have. 

The trick is determining whether the credit grantor is being a malicious richardhead or not.  In your case, I don't think they were.  They were just stupid, but not malicious. 

After 13 1/2 years of CB, I've seen a lot.  This is still the best place to go for people in-the-know.  And the benefit to my finances and credit has been priceless.

9 hours ago, swingline said:

After 13 1/2 years of CB, I've seen a lot.  This is still the best place to go for people in-the-know.  And the benefit to my finances and credit has been priceless.

Extremely well stated!

Thanks to CB, I've learned all the ins & outs of keeping my credit pristine and fine-tuned.  I've learned what to seek and what to dump.  Hege has brought me at least $1m in new credit and well over $2k in SUBs.  💲

Mr. Juggs has brought me the biggest prybar ever and a solid banking relationship!  💪

Kat has brought me love and a new-found respect for Discover.  🥰

Plus there are countless others.  **

And all this while remaining a MAB!!  😁

AFAIAC, CB is paradise.  🥳

** I'm not going to specifically mention THE most important one as it makes me depressed when I think of her. 😩

Edited by PotO

On 10/10/2019 at 2:15 PM, swingline said:

Good Day,

Have a Nice Day,

Swingline

If you applied for it, you must have wanted it.  Send the credit analyst what they request and go from that point.

8 hours ago, centex said:

What the hell is a MAB?

Mean A$$hole B'tard.