bigheckinmfer

Is being geo blocked reason enough for a dispute?

A couple years ago I moved overseas for work. I notified all of my banks and none of them mentioned that their sites don't work in certain countries due to security concerns. I found myself geo blocked, racking up international calling fees trying to sort it and unable to make payments until a friend pointed me towards VPNs to spoof my location and log in again. In the process I managed to create seven 30+ day late payments. 

1: Is this grounds for dispute? Before coming here I called AE and Disc.... they told me that there's nothing that they can do. After finding this forum it seems like I went about this all wrong, but I am still looking for some better understanding as to what is and isn't a valid dispute. 

2: Should I be disputing or requesting changes from my CC company or the CRA itself?

Thanks in advance. 

Welcome to Creditboards!

We hope that you find what you're looking for here.

Some helpful tips:

• Your post may not get a reply right away. Don't be discouraged, this is a very busy board. If it falls off of the first page, feel free to reply to your post yourself, with the word *bump* in the text. This will *bump* your post back up to the top of the board.
  • If you haven't yet, take a peek at out Newbies Section. Everything that you need to know is in that forum, for the most part. It's a lot of reading, we know, but this credit stuff can have a steep learning curve. In no time, you'll be posting like the pros!
  • If you find that someone is discourteous to you, use the REPORT button at the top right of every post - that will ensure that a moderator or admin looks at the post and decides if it is against the TOS.
  • Off -topic posts should go in the General Forum.

Again, welcome to the CreditBoards family!

CB Admin: LKH, Pam, radi8, :angel:breeze:angel: & MarvBear

welcome to CB!

From what you describe I don't think there are grounds for an FCRA based dispute but you may want to try good will letters with the lenders in question.

Are you saying you didn't arranged for regular payments, like auto min. payments? I've used amex's app in over a dozen countries including a few with sketchy security issues and it worked fine. Did you try to app or just the website?

14 hours ago, bigheckinmfer said:

A couple years ago I moved overseas for work. I notified all of my banks and none of them mentioned that their sites don't work in certain countries due to security concerns. I found myself geo blocked, racking up international calling fees trying to sort it and unable to make payments until a friend pointed me towards VPNs to spoof my location and log in again. In the process I managed to create seven 30+ day late payments. 

1: Is this grounds for dispute? Before coming here I called AE and Disc.... they told me that there's nothing that they can do. After finding this forum it seems like I went about this all wrong, but I am still looking for some better understanding as to what is and isn't a valid dispute. 

2: Should I be disputing or requesting changes from my CC company or the CRA itself?

Thanks in advance. 

While I do not think you would prevail in a dispute, there may be a way to put pressure on them.

There are the odd two or three lenders who geoblock certain overseas IP space.  One of the prime offenders, believe it or not, is Navy FCU.  Although I never had issues paying on time, it was a pain in the rear accessing the site to check balances and conduct transfers.  Paying international direct dial rates to call and do transfers over the phone was expensive.  I finally subscribed to a VPN and problems were solved.  But I was still pissed.  Trying to talk with Navy at the time was an exercise in futility.

So I went to The Top.  A nice conversation with a certain chairman of a certain Armed Forces Committee and the sh!tnami began.  "That 25% of our nation's military personnel lose effective access to Navy Federal Credit Union simply because they are deployed or otherwise stationed outside of the CONUS defies logic and is unacceptable.  It must not continue."

I got a nice call from Navy's then CEO and we had a productive discussion.  He explained how geofencing was a security necessity, but now Navy pays for my VPN subscription every year and any time I incur charges calling them I am reimbursed.  Should any issues arise, they will help solve them to my satisfaction.  

Moral of the story:  Find a BFS*.  It could work for you.  

* Big Fooking Stick  

14 hours ago, hegemony said:

Are you saying you didn't arranged for regular payments, like auto min. payments? I've used amex's app in over a dozen countries including a few with sketchy security issues and it worked fine. Did you try to app or just the website?

With AE using the browser I was not allowed to log in from that IP without text confirmation. As I lived there I forfeited my US number and got a thai one when I moved, I wasn't able to do a text verification and it would not allow an email one. Even when calling, they couldn't get me logged in. AE was the biggest pain. In the end I had to have my mom write them checks for me, and I would Pay Pal her money. 

The others were hard geo blocked. We're talking a local CU, Penny Mac, a furniture store and Discover. Cap one, Chase and Citi didn't seem to care. Only the CU was blocked while in Europe, but as I lived in SE Asia I imagine that the security concerns were higher.

10 hours ago, bigheckinmfer said:

With AE using the browser I was not allowed to log in from that IP without text confirmation. As I lived there I forfeited my US number and got a thai one when I moved, I wasn't able to do a text verification and it would not allow an email one. Even when calling, they couldn't get me logged in. AE was the biggest pain. In the end I had to have my mom write them checks for me, and I would Pay Pal her money. 

The others were hard geo blocked. We're talking a local CU, Penny Mac, a furniture store and Discover. Cap one, Chase and Citi didn't seem to care. Only the CU was blocked while in Europe, but as I lived in SE Asia I imagine that the security concerns were higher.

Yeah, the biggest pain in the butt is when they insist on two-factor bullish!t and then insist that it only be a cell phone.  But there is a work-around.  The downside is it costs you $13 a month.

21 hours ago, bigheckinmfer said:

Suggestions for whoever faces this in the future: You can set up Google Voice from the U.S., or have someone else do it for you. It sends the 2FA  text. I have my idea of what I consider a top grade VPN but DYOR.

A financial institution or creditor will occasionally still catch a distant VPN. The act of calling them and indicating you travel and so use VOIP and VPN works every time, they see that as a forthright response. 

You have to be a lawful permanent resident of the U.S, like me, to maintain most accounts. When using no FTF cards abroad try to rotate them every six months you are not in U.S. With banks you would theoretically not want to make a lot of foreign ATM withdraws for more then a year. My experience is they do not look for a problem but I always suggest an extra bank in case one shuts you down.

32 minutes ago, busted2 said:

Suggestions for whoever faces this in the future: You can set up Google Voice from the U.S., or have someone else do it for you. It sends the 2FA  text. I have my idea of what I consider a top grade VPN but DYOR.

A financial institution or creditor will occasionally still catch a distant VPN. The act of calling them and indicating you travel and so use VOIP and VPN works every time, they see that as a forthright response. 

You have to be a lawful permanent resident of the U.S, like me, to maintain most accounts. When using no FTF cards abroad try to rotate them every six months you are not in U.S. With banks you would theoretically not want to make a lot of foreign ATM withdraws for more then a year. My experience is they do not look for a problem but I always suggest an extra bank in case one shuts you down.

Google Voice does not forward internationally.  

5 hours ago, PotO said:

Google Voice does not forward internationally.  

My GV number that will will forward a text or email transcript without regard to geo location. A GV call can also be sent and received internationally via VOIP. Perfectly solves the issue I was responding to or at least my GV does. There are other ways too but that is another subject I guess. ✈️

6 hours ago, busted2 said:

My GV number that will will forward a text or email transcript without regard to geo location. A GV call can also be sent and received internationally via VOIP. Perfectly solves the issue I was responding to or at least my GV does. There are other ways too but that is another subject I guess. ✈️

Ok, you are either lying or you are stupid.

GV does not -- ever -- forward SMS internationally.  It's impossible for you to receive any SMS from GV while overseas unless you log into your GV account and see the message sent to you.  So, to get the 2FA SMS from your bank, you need to be logged into your GV account to see the message.  If in China, you need to first use a VPN (and pray that it actually works) to even log into GV since all Google properties are blocked.  

GV doesn't even forward calls internationally.  You will need to use a "Hangout" to have calls sent via cellular networks.  So, that means if you expect a voice call you need to be either logged in online or use the app on your phone while you have a good WiFi connection.  Even if you do, call quality is crap.  

Then there is the pesky little issue of needing a US phone in the first place to even register for GV.  You will need a trusted friend or relative to let you use their number to register for GV.  

That's even assuming your bank isn't smarter than you are.  Some banks actually know you are not using a VoIP service and not a real cellular number and when that happens they will not even attempt to send you the 2FA SMS.  

A personal attack defines your behavior not mine. I use it constantly overseas and my experiences are absolutely 100% accurate for me overseas with GV.  I will not respond further it just becomes circular with those ego invested in their opinions. Lol.

1 hour ago, busted2 said:

A personal attack defines your behavior not mine. I use it constantly overseas and my experiences are absolutely 100% accurate for me overseas with GV.  I will not respond further it just becomes circular with those ego invested in their opinions. Lol.

GV says you are a liar.  But then throughout your existence on myFUKO you have developed that habit.