Sign in to follow this  
Emperess

I'm angry and scared right now

Posted (edited)

My credit journey has been going very well, until yesterday.  A PayPal Credit Card (Synchrony Bank) was reported to my EX report for being 90-days late, plunging my score down 53 points 😡.  However, after further review, I determined the account is not mine, has never been mine and has never been on any of my reports.  I did an Internet search on the phone number associated with the listing on my report and discovered that people were getting calls from that number regarding a PayPal account they didn't even own.

I do remember getting a hard inquiry from Synchrony/PPC on my EQ back in March that I disputed and EQ never followed up with the dispute.  Then I got busy and it slipped my mind.

I filed a dispute with Experian, and I then contacted Experian and Synchrony's Fraud Dept. to tell them both about the error.  The rep at Synchrony said he would alert the CRA's, and the Experian rep said I would hear something withing 30 days.

This account hasn't hit my TU and EQ reports.  

In the meantime, I'm so afraid of what may become of my newly approved car loan and two new credit cards 😟 while I'm trying to get this fixed.  Will I lose my car now?

It's either a bank mistake or someone F'ed with my identity.  I'm trying to stay calm, but it hasn't been easy at all.

ETA:  I just logged into my Experian account and see that my score has now increased 53 points, back to where it was.  I haven't received an official confirmation from Experian yet, but this is a good sign. 

Edited by Emperess

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Emperess said:

what may become of my newly approved car loan and two new credit cards 

Nothing is going to happen with the car loan unless you stop making payments.

It's possible that your card issuers may CLD one or more of your cards.  If that happens, once you clear this up, let a couple of billing cycles pass and then go back and request CLIs.

Edited by cv91915

3 hours ago, cv91915 said:

Nothing is going to happen with the car loan unless you stop making payments.

It's possible that your card issuers may CLD one or more of your cards.  If that happens, once you clear this up, let a couple of billing cycles pass and then go back and request CLIs.

I just got the car, so my first payment isn't due until November 3rd.

12 minutes ago, Emperess said:

I just got the car, so my first payment isn't due until November 3rd.

Nothing is going to happen with the car loan unless you don't make your payments on time.

3 hours ago, Why Chat said:

I suggest you opt out and get your real credit reports.

https://whychat.me/GUIDEBOOK.html

Go over each and every credit report very carefully. Look for unknown addresses, misspelling of your name, additional SS#s unknown inquiries or any other misinformation. 

Hi Why Chat!

My EX report on Experian's website wouldn't be the same as my actual report?  

I do need to pull all three CRs, though.  I routine usually do so around this time of year. 

I pulled my "real" EX and TU reports via annualcreditreport.com.  For some reason I couldn't get the EQ report unless I mail in a request, so that's what I'll do.

The account has been removed from my EX, resulting in the 53-pt rise back to where it was.  It's not on my TU.  With the exception of a couple misspellings of my last name on my EX (which I'll have corrected), everything else looks good.  

Hope you all are enjoying your weekend!

Posted (edited)

You're going to be OK. This stuff happens. Just make sure you follow up as needed. They may send you a form to verify the account isn't yours. If they don't make sure you write them that the account isn't yours. They have to cover their butts too. Lots of peeps try to get out of paying their actual debts so diligence requires that they investigate. It's usually abundantly clear when a fraudulent account is opened so don't lose sleep over it.

Edited by cashnocredit

3 hours ago, Emperess said:

I pulled my "real" EX and TU reports via annualcreditreport.com. 

Unless you got same day delivery in the mail, you still don't have a paper report. Unless the annual website is giving PDFs of your paper report now? 

17 hours ago, shifter said:

Unless you got same day delivery in the mail, you still don't have a paper report. Unless the annual website is giving PDFs of your paper report now? 

They do give you an option to get it as a PDF.

That doesn't necessarily mean it's the same. It's probably fine for review, but would only trust paper reports mailed directly from the CRA for serious disputing. 

I just got my EX report from the annual site and it didn't give me a PDF, but did contain a lot of the info from a paper report. Useful if you know what to look for.