Forget gas and groceries—streaming services are the new trend in credit card rewards

On 9/7/2019 at 10:27 PM, cv91915 said:

So happy that US Bank eliminated car rentals and bookstores (Amazon) as 5% categories on the Cash+.  Now we get $0.55/month back for Netflix!!!!

As I've noted, I'm cleaning up on USBank Cash+ with 5% on utilities and streaming -- both categories I don't have bonuses for on other cards (as opposed to Amazon 5% on the store card, and 4.5% on car rentals as travel on CSR).

The card was tailor-made as an add-on to my credit portfolio.

On 9/8/2019 at 11:14 PM, hdporter said:

As I've noted, I'm cleaning up on USBank Cash+ with 5% on utilities and streaming -- both categories I don't have bonuses for on other cards (as opposed to Amazon 5% on the store card, and 4.5% on car rentals as travel on CSR).

Thanks for the nudge.

I just went through our utility bill payments for the past 12 months.  I'm currently paying all of these through our checking account (bill pay), obviously for $0 rewards.

Conclusions (after considering potential rewards minus credit card payment fees):

• One of our water/sewer bills is too small to outrun the payment fee, so I'll continue to pay that through bill pay;

• I'm assuming that our California trash bills (paid directly to a private company) wouldn't qualify as utilities, so I'm not including a potential annual net of $9.89 from the total immediately below;

• The remaining utilities (gas, electric and Internet services for both homes plus water/sewer for the Mud Hut)  would have netted us $175.87 at the run rate of the past 12 months.

Of course, there is no way to know if US Bank will continue to offer Utilities and Cable/Internet/Streaming as 5% categories, but it's a small effort to switch these bills over, so I'm going to give it a shot.

This was also a good exercise to look at historical averages per bill so I can update the spreadsheet I maintain that forecasts our expenses for the next 12 months.  I haven't changed those estimates in at least 5 years.

EDIT: Forgot about Netflix... that should get us another $0.55/month.  :lol: 

Edited by cv91915

Too late to add Utilities as a 5% category on the Cash+ this quarter, but I just paid a water/sewer bill that's due on 9/25 with my Bank of America Travel Rewards Visa, which will net:

$196.26 - amount due

2.00 - credit card payment fee

$198.26 - total purchase

$    5.20 - 2.625% rewards on 198.26

(2.00) - credit card payment fee paid

$   3.20

I've been paying this bill via checking/bill pay.

Edited by cv91915

Cash + was a wake-up call for me to with respect to earning cb on utility payments.  In Philly, all 3 major utilities levied sufficient fees on credit card payments that credit card payment wasn't economic.

I had assumed it was the same in Georgia; I've been missing out for 7 years.  My smallest bill, natural gas, does have a $4.95 fee so (like your water) so that continues with billpay.  Water and electric bills levy no fees on cc pmts.  With a 1/3 acre lawn and a pool, I'm reaping nicely on our water bill the 2 quarters I've been with the card.  Our A/C bill is no slouch, either ;)

23 hours ago, cv91915 said:

EDIT: Forgot about Netflix... that should get us another $0.55/month. 

I need to backtrack on this one.

I recently had a 10% back offer at Lowe's (up to $13 back) from Bank of America, so I went into a nearby Lowe's store and bought $130 in Netflix gift cards and loaded those into our account.  

It will be well into 2020 before the next Netflix charge.

I need to backtrack on this one.

I recently had a 10% back offer at Lowe's (up to $13 back) from Bank of America, so I went into a nearby Lowe's store and bought $130 in Netflix gift cards and loaded those into our account.  

It will be well into 2020 before the next Netflix charge.

When did you start watching TV?
On 9/16/2019 at 5:17 AM, cv91915 said:

Thanks for the nudge.

I just went through our utility bill payments for the past 12 months.  I'm currently paying all of these through our checking account (bill pay), obviously for $0 rewards.

Conclusions (after considering potential rewards minus credit card payment fees):

• One of our water/sewer bills is too small to outrun the payment fee, so I'll continue to pay that through bill pay;

• I'm assuming that our California trash bills (paid directly to a private company) wouldn't qualify as utilities, so I'm not including a potential annual net of $9.89 from the total immediately below;

• The remaining utilities (gas, electric and Internet services for both homes plus water/sewer for the Mud Hut)  would have netted us $175.87 at the run rate of the past 12 months.

Of course, there is no way to know if US Bank will continue to offer Utilities and Cable/Internet/Streaming as 5% categories, but it's a small effort to switch these bills over, so I'm going to give it a shot.

This was also a good exercise to look at historical averages per bill so I can update the spreadsheet I maintain that forecasts our expenses for the next 12 months.  I haven't changed those estimates in at least 5 years.

EDIT: Forgot about Netflix... that should get us another $0.55/month.  :lol: 

It looks like SDG&E uses a third-party service for credit card transactions, which doesn't appear to be tied to SDG&E's billing system.  As such, it appears that I can specify any payment amount.

Since Utilities as a 5% category will not be active until 10/1 I'm going to wait before attempting to do this, but if I make one payment that covers the current bill plus the estimated total on the next five statements, I could pay this bill only twice a year and just pay two credit card fees.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/22/2019 at 7:50 AM, cv91915 said:

It looks like SDG&E uses a third-party service for credit card transactions, which doesn't appear to be tied to SDG&E's billing system.  As such, it appears that I can specify any payment amount.

Since Utilities as a 5% category will not be active until 10/1 I'm going to wait before attempting to do this, but if I make one payment that covers the current bill plus the estimated total on the next five statements, I could pay this bill only twice a year and just pay two credit card fees.  

I just paid the September SDG&E bill plus the equivalent of ~6 months of future SDG&E bills on the Cash+ for a single $1.50 credit card fee.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

In addition to this month's two ISP bills, I also just prepaid the Mudland electric and gas bills right up to the $2,000 quarterly 5% category cap.  

The gas company has a $750/payment maximum for the $1.75 credit card fee, so I did the full $750 and then used the remainder of the $2k quarterly cap to prepay the electric bill.

1 hour ago, cv91915 said:

In addition to this month's two ISP bills, I also just prepaid the Mudland electric and gas bills right up to the $2,000 quarterly 5% category cap.  

The gas company has a $750/payment maximum for the $1.75 credit card fee, so I did the full $750 and then used the remainder of the $2k quarterly cap to prepay the electric bill.

Uh ... Prepay???  I really wish my $2k/quarter was "prepaying" something.  However, water/gas/electric, ATT/DirecTV, Netflix/Hulu tap the $2k out in full!

• 1 month later...
On 12/9/2019 at 4:39 PM, cv91915 said:

I'm going to max the 5% purchases again this quarter, but by the time March ends I will have all of our gas and electric bills prepaid through the end of the year, leaving just a slow trickle of eligible charges in the utility and streaming/TV categories for the remainder of the year.

It would be nice if this card had other useful categories.

• 2 months later...

I've done some basic sanity checks in the past, but I just went through my first quarter utility and ISP/streaming rewards in detail to confirm that everything was posting correctly, and almost everything is working as planned.

While the merchant name for our quarterly municipal water/sewer payments is "City of Mudland Utilities," their MCC code says that they are:

GOVERNMENT SERVICES (NOT ELSEWHERE CLASSIFIED)

As such, I paid a 2% credit card fee to get just 1% back on the ~$160 payment I made in March.

I'm going back to paying this bill from our checking account.

Edited by cv91915

With the recent cutoff moratoriums in place. Duke Energy is currently waiving CC fees. When in place the fee was a flat $1.50 regardless off payment amount. I'm currently good until at least August.

Piedmont Natural Gas here has never charged a CC fee. I'm good until at least November.

• 1 month later...
On 9/8/2019 at 8:14 PM, hdporter said:

I am really considering applying for USBank Cash for the 5% utilities. However, I don't have a banking relationship with them and I've read they prefer it. Hmmm, just might try them. 

11 minutes ago, cv91915 said:

You're starting to talk to yourself.

Yeah but I didn't just start. Been having great conversations with myself for a long time. 

Seriously, Bill Matrix is a third party payer with SDG&E and I was curious if you gained rewards paying utilities with USBank Cash. If not, which card did you use. Please, purty please....