Sign in to follow this  
hegemony

An AAwful Cluster: How American Ruined My Trip To Croatia (status challenge failure)

The comments posted to the column pretty much say it all... 

The guy books a mileage run from the heartland to Honolulu on AA, then from Honolulu to Dubrovnik, Croatia on a separate ticket with a One World partner, allowing a 6 hour layover.  The AA flight has an equipment problem that ultimately means he can't make the partner flight and looks to AA to accommodate under their OW policies.

At minimum, I'll say the guy is an incredible optimist.  No doubt the separate ticketing involved a discount that he couldn't get when booking the entire trip under one ticket.  Based upon my limited experience, all bets fly out the window at that point.

Whether AA was on the hook to accommodate seems debatable still ( ... some indication that the technical policy says they should have, but my reading suggests the policy is intended for application when the continuing OW segment is booked on the same ticket). 

What I do know is that if you set yourself up for potentially problematic circumstances, they have a tendency to bear out.

Sign in to follow this  

• Today's Birthdays

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    JerHawk
About Us

Since 2003, creditboards.com has helped thousands of people repair their credit, force abusive collection agents to follow the law, ensure proper reporting by credit reporting agencies, and provided financial education to help avoid the pitfalls that can lead to negative tradelines.

Important Information

Guidelines