Sign in to follow this  
gerray

What cards can I aim for to improve my cash back/rewards performance?

Current outlook:

Discover Card - I use for the quarterly 5% cash-back promotional Categories

Target Red Debit card - 5% off @ Target

Lowes Store card - 5% off @ Lowes

Amazon Store Card - 5% cash back @ Amazon

Apple Card - 3% off Apple purchases - will likely start purchasing my gas with it when the Citi DC promotion ends as I usually buy gas exclusively at Exxon and they accept ApplePay through the ExxonMobile app which results in CC rewards + 5 cents back per gallon for using their app.

Citi Double-Cash - my "default" card - currently on a promotion through 01/20/20 that gives me 2.5% cash back on every transaction.  This card gets most of my monthly activity as I pay my utilities for it (no fee), Netflix, cell phone, cable bill, and gas.  Once the promotion ends, it will revert back to 2% cash back.

I PIF on all cards monthly, and rarely travel or stay in hotels, s my question is - Am I missing any cards that would improve my rewards/savings.

if travel rewards are not something you can benefit from, perhaps figure out of you can cover the AF on the alliant 2.5/3% card with your general spending.

the AF on Amex BCP can be easy to cover with certain spending.

there is also a point to get credit when you can... not when you need it.

9 hours ago, hegemony said:

the AF on Amex BCP can be easy to cover with certain spending.

Agreed. 6% cash back on groceries is a good return. It’s capped at $6k per year at that rate,  so that’s $265 back per year after the AF. It’s essentially 4.4% cash back if you max out the $6k limit. And if you have a family with a large enough grocery bill, your SO could get the card as well and double the total cash back per year. 

Consider a Chase Freedom for an additional 5% rotating category card.

If you have $50,000-100,000 in brokerage/IRA accounts elsewhere, consider moving all or part of them [from Schwab, Fidelity, etc] to Merrill to qualify for 50-75% rewards bonuses on no-fee Bank of America cards, plus a number of investment and banking benefits.

This would get you:

2.25%-2.625% back on all purchases on the Travel Rewards Visa card (can be used against previous "travel" purchases, which is broadly-defined*.  Our HOA payments count as travel, for example).  I use this card for all non-category spending;

4.5%-5.25% on a category of your choice (we chose online shopping) on the Cash Rewards Visa , plus 3-3.5% on warehouse club and grocery purchases.

airlines, hotels, motels, timeshares, trailer parks, motor home and recreational vehicle rentals, campgrounds, car rental agencies, truck and trailer rental, cruise lines, travel agencies, tour operators and real estate agents, operators of passenger trains, buses, taxis, limousines, ferries, boat rentals, parking lots and garages, tolls and bridge fees, tourist attractions and exhibits like art galleries, amusement parks, carnivals, circuses, aquariums, zoos and the like.

2 hours ago, cv91915 said:

4.5%-5.25% on a category of your choice (we chose online shopping) on the Cash Rewards Visa , plus 3-3.5% on warehouse club and grocery purchases.

That card is capped at $2500 spend per quarter for the 3% category spend. But definitely a good card to have if you are able to get the percentage booster. I usually make a single $2500 purchase every 3 months for the $5.25% back and then it goes back into the sock drawer. 

5 hours ago, DPB said:

That card is capped at $2500 spend per quarter for the 3% category spend. But definitely a good card to have if you are able to get the percentage booster. I usually make a single $2500 purchase every 3 months for the $5.25% back and then it goes back into the sock drawer. 

True.  

The 5% category cards are capped even lower at $1,500 / quarter, but that's rarely an issue for us, and I imagine it wouldn't be for most households who use the cards for routine household spending.

51 minutes ago, cv91915 said:

True.  

The 5% category cards are capped even lower at $1,500 / quarter, but that's rarely an issue for us, and I imagine it wouldn't be for most households who use the cards for routine household spending.

problem with the 5% card is many of the categories a useless... such as "movies and cinemas" :lol:

56 minutes ago, hegemony said:

problem with the 5% card is many of the categories a useless... such as "movies and cinemas" :lol:

Or streaming.  Jesus.