Sign in to follow this  
cbt

OC paid, but received a letter from CA - what next?

Hi,

I've read through the WHY CHAT HIPAA guide, and my situation falls outside what is described there.

The short version is:

I have an ongoing billing dispute with a medical provider and insurer; I owe them something, but not as much as they're asking for. I left the balance unpaid because the provider said it would not be referred to a CA while going through the dispute resolution process with the insurer. However, the provider (a large medical group) unexpectedly referred the unpaid balance to a CA.

Yesterday I became aware of the referral to collections from the online records system of the provider. I called the billing office immediately to inquire and they said they could still accept a payment and recall the collection action -- so I paid the outstanding balance with a credit card. I have a ledger from the provider showing the payment and a zero balance.

Between the time of referral to the CA and my payment to the OC, the CA did mail me a letter stating they wanted to collect the debt for the date of service in question. I received the letter today, and that's the first time I came to creditboards to see what to do. No collection action has been reported to the CRAs (yet.)

My question is: how should I proceed?

Ultimately I would like the collection action purged from the records of the CA and for this never to hit the CRAs.

I feel like I need to take some defensive action (a debt validation letter?) with the CA, in case the OC doesn't follow through with their withdrawal of the collection referral. I would think that if I sent the validation letter, the CA could not actually validate the debt since the OC would have to now show them a zero balance -- but I feel like this could also create records with the CA that could come back to bite me in the future.

Your guidance here is appreciated, thanks!

Welcome to Creditboards!

We hope that you find what you're looking for here.

Some helpful tips:

• Your post may not get a reply right away. Don't be discouraged, this is a very busy board. If it falls off of the first page, feel free to reply to your post yourself, with the word *bump* in the text. This will *bump* your post back up to the top of the board.
  • If you haven't yet, take a peek at out Newbies Section. Everything that you need to know is in that forum, for the most part. It's a lot of reading, we know, but this credit stuff can have a steep learning curve. In no time, you'll be posting like the pros!
  • If you find that someone is discourteous to you, use the REPORT button at the top right of every post - that will ensure that a moderator or admin looks at the post and decides if it is against the TOS.
  • Off -topic posts should go in the General Forum.

Again, welcome to the CreditBoards family!

CB Admin: LKH, Pam, radi8, :angel:breeze:angel: & MarvBear

Follow the guides;

https://whychat.me/GUIDEBOOK.html

Check all your reports carefully for errors or unknown entries. Keep hard copies of your reports. Make sure you have hard copies of the paid credit card account to the medical provider.

DO NOT respond to the CA as this will increase the chance that it will be reported as a "paid" collection. 

IF it does hit your reports you will be able to dispute it off more easily if you haven't authenticated the CA's claim by responding to them.

Thanks for the response.

I'll keep all the records in a neat bundle and hope 1) the medical office follows through and 2) I never to need them.