Requesting a fee reversal success rates: Phone, mail or chat?

denco

The last post in this topic was posted 878 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

I recently moved due to a domestic situation that I had to leave. In doing so, the account which I made payments was closed. I set up a new automatic payment as soon as I moved several states away and had internet service. I made the payment with my new account in time to avoid a late fee. However, since the prior payments were made with an account I had to close abruptly, I was charged for this fee.

From what I have read it seems like a returned payment fee is more difficult to get refunded than a late payment fee. Either way, I am still going to request a "courtesy reversal" since this fee was charged across multiple cards and was almost $200. The worst they can say is no and the interest rate is still the same.

My question is in regard to which method should I attempt a reversal? Should I call, write or use the chat option? Does anyone have any advice on which is most successful?

It is all the CC companies I use so it is Discover, Chase and Cap One. Discover has decent phone support but the others have been awful especially Cap One. I will call tomorrow although was curious if success rates differ based on contact attempt method. Thank you.

Found this online also and might go with this:

call and ask politely. "This was a mistake because I forgot to update my bank info timely, not because I was not able to pay. I was hoping that the fee could be removed from my reports in consideration of the long and excellent history we've had with the account."

You're at their mercy. Some will. If they don't then wait a while and send a goodwill letter.

Haven't noticed a change in the interest rates so the worst they can say is no.

It makes no sense to claim it was due to a lack of timely updating if that was not what really happened...they do actually make notes of these conversations. 

You reference a domestic situation.  This could be anything from a bad relationship to a stalker-ex to an abusive situation in the residence.  If there was actual abuse that contributed to this move of substantial distance, then cite that.  You MIGHT even see some manner of sympathy.  Otherwise, it comes across as someone who moved but couldn't be bothered to take care of their business and now wants a favor from the bank.  It is quite disingenuous to see a favor for being a 'longtime and dedicated customer' yet being at the same time someone that didn't care enough about the bank to keep them in the loop about a new address and banking information...

31 minutes ago, centex said:

It makes no sense to claim it was due to a lack of timely updating if that was not what really happened...they do actually make notes of these conversations. 

You reference a domestic situation.  This could be anything from a bad relationship to a stalker-ex to an abusive situation in the residence.  If there was actual abuse that contributed to this move of substantial distance, then cite that.  You MIGHT even see some manner of sympathy.  Otherwise, it comes across as someone who moved but couldn't be bothered to take care of their business and now wants a favor from the bank.  It is quite disingenuous to see a favor for being a 'longtime and dedicated customer' yet being at the same time someone that didn't care enough about the bank to keep them in the loop about a new address and banking information...

Not really with you on this one ... I agree, if there are extenuating circumstances that are more entailed than "a relationship gone bad", it's worth sharing a bit.  However, on first reading I chalked this situation up to "shit happened, I was overwhelmed by circumstances, and I screwed up".

You can call it "not caring enough", but I've let things slip through the proverbial net enough times in my life that I'm in complete empathy.  I'm willing to bet there's a good chance that OP can reach someone at the bank who's sufficiently empathetic to cut a break as well ... assuming that the account history has been clean for the last year.

My experience is that most reputable companies aren't intent on penalty fee income, using such fees primarily as a backstop to reinforce timely payment behavior.  However, as OP notes, while late fees are often an easy reversal, returned payments have a record of being less so, given that they often require a degree of staff intervention.

I'll go out on a limb a predict success with Discover and Chase (but I have no personal experience, so don't shoot me if I'm wrong!).  Cap One is a crap shoot under the best of circumstances.

Update:

Called all 3 companies and was shockingly surprised to have all 5 fees refunded. Gave more detail on the situation and the fees which were between $25 and $28 each depending on the company have been removed.

I will give some background that I have been a customer of each of the companies 10+ years and have not had a fee refunded much if at all during my account history with them. Nothing recent for sure and nothing in at least 5+ years

Really surprised Cap One was agreeable as they have been pretty awful in my experience. Thanks to all.

The last post in this topic was posted 878 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.