Sign in to follow this  
LHMinSF

Santander refusing to send me document that shows reason for "miscellaneous" fees

I unfortunately have a car loan with Santander. It was my only option at the time. This month I noticed a "miscellaneous" fee of $87.87 on my account that they skimmed off my monthly payment. I called their CS and they told me that fee is from a document that I electronically signed over two years ago in 2017 when I opted to "extend" my loan by one month. If I remember correctly I just changed the payment due date. 

The CS rep could not tell me why this amount was charged. She also told me I would be paying this $87.87 fee three more times and she could not tell me when the fees would be taken. 

I asked her to send me the document that I signed. She said she was unable to send it because I electronically signed it. I do have the email they sent from 2017 but I cannot access the link anymore. 

I cannot refinance my loan, as Santander is reporting the account is late, even though on my online account it shows as current. 

Any advice for handling the miscellaneous fee and Santander reporting my account as late would be greatly appreciated. 

If you defer a payment, you still have to pay the interest accrued for the number of days of the deferral.  If the loan was written at a higher interest rate and you deferred for one month, the math sounds about correct to me.  How much is the monthly note?

+1

Santander should have the documentation somewhere.  You might have to send a written letter to get it.  You could also try sending an email referencing the broken link.

Concur with the others that this sounds like interest on a month where you needed some manner of deferment on the contractual obligation. 

Is this related to the same loan that you discussed in the 2017 thread you created about Santander?

4 hours ago, centex said:

Is this related to the same loan that you discussed in the 2017 thread you created about Santander?

Yes, it is.

How much is the payment you needed deferred?  As I re-read the original post, I see that the fee was to be charged a total of four times, which suggests that it is roughly $360.  An amount that small would very likely be in line with the typical five year payment on the vehicles Santander is typically associated with...and a lot of those sorts of lenders take deferred payments and spread them somewhere at the back end of a loan. 

But since you had that loan for two and a half years at the time of the November 2017 thread, it should have been dead and stinking by now if you followed the general guidance to ensure a consumer throws extra money at a subprime loan to kill it as quickly as possible.  This would especially be true if the monthly nut is, as I suspect, only in the $350-400 range. 

The sooner you kill that turd and flush it, the sooner it quits skid-marking your reports...and the sooner you have a clear title and can make changes to your insurance coverages (which saves you additional funds on a monthly/annual basis).