Burgerwars

Apple's Credit Card Push is About Keeping iPhone Users

Posted (edited)

Link: 

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/13/apple-card-promotes-iphone-steers-users-from-android.html

I thought this was much of it, but sorry Apple, even though I applied for the card, I'm still an Android. I used my work Android phone to apply (that I hate), will use bill pay from elsewhere to pay it off, and will be getting a cheap iPad that supports the iOS needed for the Wallet app (maybe used off eBay) to access the account and then remove it from my work phone.

I'm typing this on my Galaxy S10. A cool new phone that replaced my 3 1/2 year old LG. I'll never be an iSheep. Baa.. Baa...

Edited by Burgerwars

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Burgerwars said:

will use bill pay from elsewhere to pay it off, and will be getting a cheap iPad that supports the iOS needed for the Wallet app (maybe used off eBay) to access the account and then remove it from my work phone.

Without the iPhone interface coordination, it will not work skillfully. In addition, how do you carry your iPad (In your pocket?) with you and how to scan it through a network terminal.

It just not feasible. My 2 cent.

Edited by MP80

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, MP80 said:

Without the iPhone interface coordination, it will not work skillfully. In addition, how do you carry your iPad (In your pocket?) with you and how to scan it through a network terminal.

I only plan on doing two things with this account:

1. Using the physical card to buy a pencil once in a while and then immediately paying it off.

2. This will be my first metal card. I'll be dropping it on the table to see how it sounds.

I'll be OK. I won't be carrying an iPad with me.

Edited by Burgerwars

51 minutes ago, Burgerwars said:
1 hour ago, MP80 said:

I only plan on doing two things with this account:

1. Using the physical card to buy a pencil once in a while and then immediately paying it off.

2. This will be my first metal card. I'll be dropping it on the table to see how it sounds.

I'll be OK. I won't be carrying an iPad with me.

With the exception of the iPhone app, no web browser can pay for your bill. There is only one case viable is to call Apple and ask some staff to connect you to Goldman Sachs. I suspect that this alternative route may even be a payment issue.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Burgerwars said:

Link: 

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/13/apple-card-promotes-iphone-steers-users-from-android.html

I thought this was much of it, but sorry Apple, even though I applied for the card, I'm still an Android. I used my work Android phone to apply (that I hate), will use bill pay from elsewhere to pay it off, and will be getting a cheap iPad that supports the iOS needed for the Wallet app (maybe used off eBay) to access the account and then remove it from my work phone.

I'm typing this on my Galaxy S10. A cool new phone that replaced my 3 1/2 year old LG. I'll never be an iSheep. Baa.. Baa...

I think you meant to say, you used your work iPhone to apply (which you hate).

Not sure why some phone owners need to make it a competition.  I have both Android and iPhones and found that I like iPhones better as I like how they work together using Apple's Ecosystem.  I like some things about Android but I'm not knocking one or the other.  Most people get used to what they have been using and have a tough time switching to something that works slightly different.  That's just human nature.  But this is a credit forum, not an iPhone vs Android forum, so...

Give it time.  Google will come out with a Visa card that does the same thing or tries to do the same thing with Android.  

There are some interesting features about the Apple Credit Card that I have not seen on other cards.  The big one is that within the app, you can change your credit card number in real time if your card number has been compromised.  

I have also seen that people with relatively new credit or minimal credit with lower scores are getting approved.  It may only be a $250 or $500 starting line but it gives them a foot in the door while at the same time not getting screwed with high fees the way subprime cards work.  This is going to be big with the younger audience that are new to credit and will potentially be customers for 60 years or more.  Also, the fact that you can message Customer Service within the app for questions about your account is very convenient.  

Edited by direct

There's no reason to give up your Android.

Just buy an iPhone and activate your laser-engraved titanium Apple Card. Get an image for Instagram then sock drawer the iPhone with the card. 

1 hour ago, Bad Doctor Frost said:

If you really wanted a metal card, I'm pretty sure my Amazon Prime is metal. It sure is heavy.

The MasterCard Black Card is better; it weighs 22g. It's the Heavyweight Champ.™

AF is $495 but you can add an AU for just $195. That's 44 grams of cards for just $690!

1 hour ago, Occam said:

The MasterCard Black Card is better; it weighs 22g. It's the Heavyweight Champ.™

AF is $495 but you can add an AU for just $195. That's 44 grams of cards for just $690!

For some reason, and I can't really explain why, I view anything MasterCard as low-class. It's a personal hangup, but having a MasterCard is kinda like driving a Dodge. I looked into that "Luxury" Mastercard and thought it reminded me of something you'd buy at TJ Maxx or Gordman's: flashy just to look flashy.

23 hours ago, MP80 said:

With the exception of the iPhone app, no web browser can pay for your bill. There is only one case viable is to call Apple and ask some staff to connect you to Goldman Sachs. I suspect that this alternative route may even be a payment issue.

You can use it for online payments with just the card data you get from the Wallet.

20 hours ago, Bad Doctor Frost said:

For some reason, and I can't really explain why, I view anything MasterCard as low-class. It's a personal hangup, but having a MasterCard is kinda like driving a Dodge. I looked into that "Luxury" Mastercard and thought it reminded me of something you'd buy at TJ Maxx or Gordman's: flashy just to look flashy.

If MasterCard is a Dodge, Discovery is a rickshaw.  

1 hour ago, Bad Doctor Frost said:

Pipe down, Prius lover. 🤣

As I type this, the dirty foreigner who picked it out is with the next potential owner on a test drive.  Let's not jinx this.

54 minutes ago, cv91915 said:

As I type this, the dirty foreigner who picked it out is with the next potential owner on a test drive.  Let's not jinx this.

Yours forever. The foreigner and the Prius. 

🎵 Happy Together starts playing in background. 🎶

5 minutes ago, Bad Doctor Frost said:

Yours forever. The foreigner and the Prius. 

🎵 Happy Together starts playing in background. 🎶

The flaming red suppository is back in our garage.

8 hours ago, PotO said:

You can use it for online payments with just the card data you get from the Wallet.

Thank!  :wave:

Indeed, for Mr. Warburg, the payment issue has been resolved.