Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

They just told my employee everything about my account??

Last week a collection company reached out about an account in their office. It’s from a year ago when we had an electrician do some work at our business. I really thought we had taken care of it but didn’t hear anything until last week when I was out of town. I told her when I got back in town I will look at everything and get back to her. I came home to a completely flooded basement and I’ve been dealing with that all week. My assistant manager called me and said someone from this collection company called looking for me, I have it on my list to call today (it’s a forever growing list). 

He just text text me and said she called again and told him who the original creditor was, how much, how old the debt is, and then threatened legal action. 

How do I handle this? Yes, I need to pay and when I have five minutes I will look at it and take care of it. But can she tell my employee all of this? He is not on the account in any way. I am embarrassed and pissed.

You reference business, which potentially takes this out of the realm of consumer debt provisions of law.  Is this a personal matter or a business matter? 

If this is business debt, then there are actually larger issues at play than just being embarrassed about a manager being made aware of a corporate financial delinquency that can actually serve to impact employee livelihoods...

44 minutes ago, centex said:

You reference business, which potentially takes this out of the realm of consumer debt provisions of law.  Is this a personal matter or a business matter? 

If this is business debt, then there are actually larger issues at play than just being embarrassed about a manager being made aware of a corporate financial delinquency that can actually serve to impact employee livelihoods...

Business is an LLC and I am the only one listed as owner. I am the personal guarantor on the account.

As for for my employees livelihoods they are fine and secure. This is the only account that has ever gone like this. It was a complete oversight because honestly I do not recall getting the invoice after service (would have come to my house) and life itself has been a very wild ride the last year with several surgeries and such. The money will be paid regardless but I want to know what I should do about her telling an assistant manager everything about the account he is not on. 

Edited by CantEven

The business owes the debt they can call the business and talk to somebody about it.

Why are your panties in a bunch? 

48 minutes ago, shifter said:

The business owes the debt they can call the business and talk to somebody about it.

Why are your panties in a bunch? 

You are the owner it's your problem

20 hours ago, CantEven said:

when I have five minutes I will look at it and take care of it.

It isn't hard to find five minutes if you are creative.

I sometimes pay bills when I'm on an airplane, in the waiting area at the dentist office, or while I'm squeezing one off.

So lets sum this up.  You had someone do work and haven't paid them for over a year.  We'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say it was an oversight/miscommunication and you thought you had settled it up (which in my mind is a bit of a stretch given most companies mail out monthly invoices or at least make several attempts to collect before involving a CA).  You are then contacted and told about this and you say it was an oversight and will take care of it right away, yet you let more time pass, giving the impression you are ignoring the debt.  Now you want to come after the CA for merely doing their job and taking further action when you ignored their initial attempt to deal with you directly.  As others have mentioned it is not consumer debt so the rules are different.  

I refuse to believe you don't have 5 minutes in a day to address this.  Were you somewhere they don't have phone service so you could call and work this out, nor had access to make payment?  Does your company just stop while you're gone or while you were out with medical issues?  What if you were gone and something needed to be addressed ASAP.

Maybe you should look in the mirror if you want to find the root cause of the issue and who to blame rather than trying to pin it on someone else. While doing so look into putting in processes so it doesn't happen again.