Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

17 year old applied for credit card

So my daughter was shopping and she was signing up for some kind of reward card. An employee told her she would get 15% off for applying for a credit card. She was a month shy of 18. She told the salesperson repeatedly that she was only 17 and asked if she would still be approved. They told her "no problem". Well, big surprise, she was denied. I am assuming because of no credit history or not being 18. I haven't opened her mail but I can see that she got a denial.  I called the store (Ann Taylor) the day it happened and I called their customer service department asking them to remove the inquiry. They haven't called me back and it's been almost 3 weeks. She told them how old she was, she gave them her birthday, etc. I know it's her fault, too, but she's a naive kid. WWYD? Suck it up and let her learn this life lesson or push to get the inquiry removed?

I remember when I was 17 in college and a Capital One rep was on campus. I wasn't old enough for a card, nor did I have income and he still insisted I apply. I got a T-shirt for it that day, lol. 

I didn't think about it though back then because I wasn't aware of how it would affect me. Strangely enough, I actually got the credit card. I have ZERO clue how.

I would absolutely climb up the chain on that one.. 

Well, the salesperson doesn't run the credit department. Does she have a job/income? She might have been declined anyway, even if 18.

A credit record with just an inquiry and nothing else isn't the end of the world. She'll eventually get credit elsewhere and the inquiries will get old and fall off. After a year they're not counted on your FICO. I don't think it's worth fighting, but it's your decision.

2 hours ago, Auto_Body_Chick said:

An employee told her she would get 15% off for applying for a credit card.

Did she get the 15% off?

"...she got a denial blessing in disguise."

FTFY

Okay, so I opened the letter and it says she has no credit score, lol.

They were unable to verify her previous credit experience. She also applied for a master card.

UGH!!! Kids.

I intentionally didn't put her as an AU on any of my cards and help her in that way because she doesn't want to listen to anything that we say. I was an AU on my Mom's JC Penney card that was 20 years old when I was only 12 so by the time I was 18 I had great credit and I got every card I applied for. Except no told told me how to manage it and I got myself in BIG trouble. My daughter is a typical teen and does the exact opposite of what her parents think, but if we told her some screwed up way to do something then THAT is the time she would listen. 🙄

So it wasn't an age thing, it's that she has no credit. Should I still try non-PP due to her age?

Hey Hege!! 😋

16 hours ago, Auto_Body_Chick said:

I called the store (Ann Taylor) the day it happened and I called their customer service department asking them to remove the inquiry.

She didn't apply for credit with Ann Taylor, she applied for credit with Comenity.