cashnocredit

Another Reason to Reconsider using Mint amongst others

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2019/08/the-risk-of-weak-online-banking-passwords/

If you bank online and choose weak or re-used passwords, there’s a decent chance your account could be pilfered by cyberthieves — even if your bank offers multi-factor authentication as part of its login process.

The aggregators bypass 2FA and anyone with a weak password or re-uses passwords are at some risk.

1. Always use strong passwords.

2. Never use the same password in multiple places

3. Never use similar passwords.

4. Use 2FA (Two Factor Authentication) if your bank allows it.

I stopped using Mint long ago for security reasons though these should be relatively safe as long as you follow the above rules.

On 8/6/2019 at 5:47 AM, cashnocredit said:

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2019/08/the-risk-of-weak-online-banking-passwords/

If you bank online and choose weak or re-used passwords, there’s a decent chance your account could be pilfered by cyberthieves — even if your bank offers multi-factor authentication as part of its login process.

The aggregators bypass 2FA and anyone with a weak password or re-uses passwords are at some risk.

1. Always use strong passwords.

2. Never use the same password in multiple places

3. Never use similar passwords.

4. Use 2FA (Two Factor Authentication) if your bank allows it.

I stopped using Mint long ago for security reasons though these should be relatively safe as long as you follow the above rules.

Yeah, the Einsteins keep repeating that drivel about never using the same password twice.  It must be nice to be a moron without a life.

I've got around 500 log-ins that I've accumulated over the years.  500 differed passwords?  They can FOAD.  

11 hours ago, PotO said:

Yeah, the Einsteins keep repeating that drivel about never using the same password twice.  It must be nice to be a moron without a life.

I've got around 500 log-ins that I've accumulated over the years.  500 differed passwords?  They can FOAD.  

500 logins? Use a password manager. No need to remember anything.

As for duplicate pw's, they are low risk so long as duplicates don't exist on financial sites. OTOH, just using a password manager makes life simpler and safer. Being lazy, I like that.

One thing that used to be widely recommended was changing your password every 30 days. Complete waste of time and probably causes more ID theft than it prevents. The only time I change passwords is after a trip. I change them on any financial site I visit while traveling and using local wifi w/o a vpn.

8 hours ago, cashnocredit said:

500 logins? Use a password manager. No need to remember anything.

As for duplicate pw's, they are low risk so long as duplicates don't exist on financial sites. OTOH, just using a password manager makes life simpler and safer. Being lazy, I like that.

One thing that used to be widely recommended was changing your password every 30 days. Complete waste of time and probably causes more ID theft than it prevents. The only time I change passwords is after a trip. I change them on any financial site I visit while traveling and using local wifi w/o a vpn.

Got a PW manager.  Great for desktops and iPads, sometimes not so great on iPhones -- especially for bank apps.  

And practically useless when you are on a strange PC and don't have your iPhone handy to look up the PW on the PW manager.  

The whole security circus gets old.  No matter what they come up with, it gets defeated by the bad guys.  It's a never ending race to totally FUBAR.  If I thought it would be any better, they can just implant a chip on the tip of our ... noses.  

Even bank websites have crappy security.  Some will not let you have a PW longer than 13 characters.  Some require a special character like #, but you can't use *.  Some can use *, but not #.  Some can't even use special characters.  Some must begin with a capital letter.  Some will not differentiate between lower case and capital letters. 

Then there is the latest rage -- two factor authentication.  Sending a code via e-mail isn't that terrible, but probably not very secure.  But others you need your cellphone with you and turned on 24 hours a day to get their code.  

As Tiny Tim would say, "Fuk them.  Each and every fukkin' one."

Pot....remember what mama used to say now, even though you just made me pee my britches!.   I use a password manager.  Not affiliated but I like roboform and then I set my browser to auto sync passwords . That way I can go from desktop to laptop to Android phone and android tablets.  The only thing I know bout apple us that a Rome Beauty is my favorite.

Son go brush ya teeth with soap!😀

FWIW, longtime Roboform user here as well.  I have unique pw's for each website ... each uses a common "root" with an extension that is URL-based (not the most secure scheme, but modestly obscure enough that I feel sufficiently safe without being totally dependent upon a pw manager).

However you secure your login credentials, if you use a common username/pw combo across several websites, you're dead meat come the next security breach.

53 minutes ago, hdporter said:

FWIW, longtime Roboform user here as well.  I have unique pw's for each website ... each uses a common "root" with an extension that is URL-based (not the most secure scheme, but modestly obscure enough that I feel sufficiently safe without being totally dependent upon a pw manager).

However you secure your login credentials, if you use a common username/pw combo across several websites, you're dead meat come the next security breach.

More to life than tilting at windmills.

36 minutes ago, PotO said:

More to life than tilting at windmills.

what is the missionary position in arkanass these days?

1 hour ago, hegemony said:

I don't like missionaries.  I'm more fond of 07s (Rear Admiral). 

7 hours ago, hegemony said:

the same as vegass.

6 hours ago, Kat58 said:

the same as vegass.

By the way, sweetie, why not bring your Arkanass to Vegass?  Isn't it time for our 69th honeymoon?

44 minutes ago, PotO said:

By the way, sweetie, why not bring your Arkanass to Vegass?  Isn't it time for our 69th honeymoon?

Yeass