Sign in to follow this  
hegemony

NEW BREACH!!!! (CAPITAL ONE)

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-07-29/capital-one-data-systems-breached-by-seattle-woman-u-s-says?srnd=premium

The largest category of data stolen was supplied by consumers and small businesses when they applied for credit cards from 2005 through early 2019, the bank said. It included personal identification data, including names, addresses, phone numbers and dates of birth, and financial data including self-reported income, credit scores and fragments of transaction history.

how the F does this happen? is crap1 that incompetent? apparently yes...

Another day, another breach. When do I get to collect another $125?

Maybe one good thing is there is nothing left to steal. The bad guys must be stealing the same data over and over. 😕

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, centex said:

Hate the articles that incorrectly attribute criminality by a male and instead claim it was committed by a woman...

When a person named Paige Adele self-identifies as a woman, only the most irresponsible of journalists would dream of submitting an article containing female pronouns before demanding a DNA test.

Especially when the gender of the suspect is every bit as relevant as her his that person's favorite beer.

Edited by Occam

1 hour ago, centex said:

Hate the articles that incorrectly attribute criminality by a male and instead claim it was committed by a woman...

looks as much like a woman as that nutter blonde commentator initials AC or that daytime "hostess" initials WW

LOL...too bad that his own tweets showed that he was, indeed, precisely the sort of person that would take the data.

“She’s somebody that would not do something like that maliciously,” says Diane [one of her roommates]. “She’s not somebody that would take the data and try to sell it or something like that.”

Capital One screen-captured a tweet from Thompson’s Twitter which ... goes on to say, “I wanna distribute those buckets I think first. There are (social security numbers) with full name and (date of birth).”

“She said she did it because she could, that's really it,” says Diane.

She sounds like a complete nutjob, so it's possible all these things are true. Maybe a good candidate for an insanity defense?

I'm probably one of the affected Cap One customers, and I have yet to hear anything directly from them.  Everything I've heard about this comes from this discussion board and news reports. You'd think they would at least send out a mass email by now, with a brief summary of the situation and advising that they will be contacted affected customers directly as they are able to identify them.

From the more detailed news articles I've read, the data on social security numbers and bank account numbers was "tokenized" -- meaning that the numbers were further encrypted or obscured in a manner that the hacker would not have been able to crack. But apparently she was able to decrypt most of the personal identifying info such as dob, addresses, income, etc.

I am one that was effected I really don't know how but all of my accounts keep indicating so.. this ish is crazy!

4 hours ago, Rogue said:

In reality this move was probably a promotion that included a nice bonus!

idiots are often promoted up