Sign in to follow this  
Tigz

What is the use of having a power of attorney.....

....when places won't accept it?  

I have a full Durable Power of Attorney for my husband.   Not one of those online ones, it was created by his lawyer plus all the witnesses, plus his accountant and the bank manager, and fully notarized. (with more witnesses and whatnot). 

This has been the second time I have had an issue with it.  One was with adding a cell phone for my daughter at the cell phone place (they said he had to do it even though I had the POA in my possession.  

Today I went to talk to a car dealership about selling the Vette.  I had a feeling that they would also say that I couldn't sell it even being my husband's Attorney-In-Fact.  They said I could bring the car in to have it appraised, but everything else would have to be through my husband...and that they would fed ex him documents to sign and whatnot.   (I was hoping they would just settle for a phone call and a fax saying I could do it...but no) 

So again I ask....what is the use of having one if people won't accept it?  What if he were laid up in a hospital in a coma?  Or was legally declared an idiot :rofl:  and I had to take over his finances?  

Tigz:   wish I could help you.   But as far as the car biz goes, none of our banks will allow POA deals.  There is evidently way too much fraud involved.

I can understand that.  But it seems to me with a verbal OK, and a fax with his drivers license and signature for proof, there shouldn't be a problem.  

The problem is.  He is now down in Miami (because, of course, he couldn't take care of this before he transferred down there :rolleyes: )
Plus, for some inexplicable reason...he seems to see me as his PA because he doesn't want to be bothered with doing this stuff.  (don't ask why, I don't know...been dealing with it for 18 years now) 
I do the research.  I do the deal on the vehicle (or whatever purchase).  He waltzes in and signs and that is that.  (same with the house)

But that is a gripe for another day.  LOL. 

As long as he picks up the phone tomorrow and signs off when they overnight the stuff, I will be happy.   
I have also researched and know what they should be offering me for it (well, ballpark figure) so I will know if they try to lowball me.  

2 hours ago, Bad Doctor Frost said:

Wait, Vette? Didn't he have a Porsche? Why the downgrade? I'm confused.

Depending on WHICH 'vette and WHICH Porsche, one COULD argue (reasonably) that the Porsche was the downgrade...just sayin' yo!

On 7/29/2019 at 1:18 PM, Bad Doctor Frost said:

Wait, Vette? Didn't he have a Porsche? Why the downgrade? I'm confused.

Got tired of having to drive (or tow <_< ) 150 miles for maintenance/repairs.  

So a couple of years ago he went to the Chevy dealer to look at a TRUCK (used, at that) and drove away with a brand new Stingray.   

Oh, In the end...they did take the power of attorney.  (go figure) 

So now I am waiting on the check.  (after the title clears from the bank)   

I wish it had been totally paid off.  (There was $4k still owed on it) I could have sold it myself and gotten a few $K more.  But truthfully, I didn't want the hassle.  

1 hour ago, Tigz said:

Got tired of having to drive (or tow <_< ) 150 miles for maintenance/repairs.  

So a couple of years ago he went to the Chevy dealer to look at a TRUCK (used, at that) and drove away with a brand new Stingray.   

There were no independent German mechanics nearby? You didn't want a new hobby? 🤣