hegemony

Apple’s Latest Invention: Yes, It’s a Credit Card

29 minutes ago, Burgerwars said:

This is why I got tired of Flyertalk. Nothing but stuff like manufactured spending to earn that extra point or rebate. I have better things to do than go to CVS each day to buy gift cards.

Sheet, you ain't seen nuttin yet, bro.  😄

Every once in a while there's a promotion at Staples where you can buy a $200 GC -- only one! -- without the activation fee.  So, I was at Staples the other day and wondered WTF was going on that there was a long, long line of food-stamp-Neanderthals that extended out to the parking lot.  Come to find out, it was GC Sale Day.

There were at least 50 people in line to buy a $200 Visa GC that saved them $4.95 in activation fee.  They finally set up a special register for those turds.  And you should have heard them go all whiny little biatch at the counter when the cashier told them only one and that one could only be for $200.  What kind of turd goes to all that expense, time and trouble to save $4.95?  Probably all over at FlyerTurd.

One lady comes over to me and asks me if I will help her buy a GC because she can only buy one.  Being the nice guy that I am, I told her, "No".  Just how was she going to pay me?  Cash?  Probably counterfeit.  Food stamps?  No, thank you.  OS?  Yuk!  When I got up to the register to pay for my stuff, I noticed a big stack of GCs that they took away from people trying to buy more than 1.  I asked the cashier if I could buy one of those and she said, "Sure!"  I bought one for myself and the lady in the other line who had just asked me gave me the evil eye.    

12 hours ago, PotO said:

Cycling through almost all of her credit limit on a daily basis ...

Her extra chromosome must be really heavy.

A few posts up in that thread, they admitted that 99% of the spend was manufactured...I don't know about the Apple card but there are a lot of card issuers that seem to have language making it clear they frown upon that sort of action. 

33 minutes ago, centex said:

A few posts up in that thread, they admitted that 99% of the spend was manufactured...I don't know about the Apple card but there are a lot of card issuers that seem to have language making it clear they frown upon that sort of action. 

Most cards worth using for MS have terms that make the activity a violation of the card agreement. I do a decent amount of MS myself, but my approach is far more cautious than most. Cycling your CL a bunch of times is just begging to have your account closed. 

And the Apple Card is not good for MS to begin with. Sure you can use it for the 3% at Walgreens. But there are far better card options, even for Walgreens. But this is a perfect example of the idiots that are on flyertalk. 

M$? My goodness! How many dollars can you earn now? The ship has been sailing for a long time, and it is too late for people to attend the party. It is not like we are at a climax.

30 minutes ago, MP80 said:

M$? My goodness! How many dollars can you earn now? The ship has been sailing for a long time, and it is too late for people to attend the party. It is not like we are at a climax.

There are still plenty of ways to MS. The ship has definitely not sailed. Some methods are dead, but there are always new ones. Anything that currently works well just isn’t talked about publicly. 

But that’s a discussion for a different thread and possibly a different forum. 

9 hours ago, centex said:

Very true.

And then there is common sense.  Some of the M$ methods currently in use border on fraud.  Were I to ever consider fraud, it would be to the tune of several millions of $$ -- and even then.  These people who buy a refundable airplane ticket for $5,000 to "earn" $150 plus 15,000 miles must live a pretty sh!ttee existence.  

2 hours ago, PotO said:

Very true.

And then there is common sense.  Some of the M$ methods currently in use border on fraud.  Were I to ever consider fraud, it would be to the tune of several millions of $$ -- and even then.  These people who buy a refundable airplane ticket for $5,000 to "earn" $150 plus 15,000 miles must live a pretty sh!ttee existence.  

Agreed. There are definitely some aspects of MS that I consider to be over the line. 
And I’ve always said, I’m not against committing fraud but only if I can make enough to move somewhere without extradition and have enough money to live very, very comfortably for the rest of my life. Otherwise, I keep it legal. 

12 hours ago, DPB said:

There are still plenty of ways to MS. The ship has definitely not sailed. Some methods are dead, but there are always new ones. Anything that currently works well just isn’t talked about publicly. 

As I said, this ship has sailed. Sure, it's doable. what is the return on the significant risks? which is not the same as earning $5K to $10K per month. The loophole gradually sealed the hatch.  Some people continue to follow this path, eventually closing three to four credit card accounts or other situations, such as a loss of $70K of line.

7 hours ago, MP80 said:

As I said, this ship has sailed. Sure, it's doable. what is the return on the significant risks? which is not the same as earning $5K to $10K per month. The loophole gradually sealed the hatch.  Some people continue to follow this path, eventually closing three to four credit card accounts or other situations, such as a loss of $70K of line.

I don’t do much on cash back cards. The majority of my MS is on cards that give airline miles and hotel points. Any activity on cash back cards is to cover the little bit of cost associated with the rest of my MS activity. Free luxury vacations are nice.

And $5-10k per month is definitely doable. Some are still doing more. Not in pure cash back, but definitely doable in a combination of miles/points value and cash back. I don’t have a need for that much return. I spend maybe an hour of week on this activity, which yields about $2-3k per month in value.

31 minutes ago, DPB said:

I don’t do much on cash back cards. The majority of my MS is on cards that give airline miles and hotel points. Any activity on cash back cards is to cover the little bit of cost associated with the rest of my MS activity. Free luxury vacations are nice.

And $5-10k per month is definitely doable. Some are still doing more. Not in pure cash back, but definitely doable in a combination of miles/points value and cash back. I don’t have a need for that much return. I spend maybe an hour of week on this activity, which yields about $2-3k per month in value.

I suspect we will read about you in the newspapers after the DEA catches you and you get sentenced to 20 - 25 years for drug dealing.  There's no other reasonable explanation for earning $2k to $10k a month on an hour a week investment.  

4 hours ago, PotO said:

I suspect we will read about you in the newspapers after the DEA catches you and you get sentenced to 20 - 25 years for drug dealing.  There's no other reasonable explanation for earning $2k to $10k a month on an hour a week investment.  

Just to be clear, I’m not earning $2-10k a month. I’m earning points & miles that when cashed in are worth roughly $2-3k per month when comparing the same airline ticket/hotel stay in cash value. Nothing illegal at all in what I’m doing. Does it violate the T&C on some cards? Yes, but not on all. And that isn’t an illegal activity. Also, the card issuer can cancel the card if they decide they don’t want me using the cards how I am. 

Also, the one hour per week I spend doing this is specific to me and the area in which I live. My usual work schedule makes it more convenient for me. I don’t make special trips to stores to MS, as many others do. If I did, the time spent would significantly go up for the same return. Anything over the amount I currently do would require far more time invested, which is something I’m not interested in. 

8 hours ago, DPB said:

Just to be clear, I’m not earning $2-10k a month. I’m earning points & miles that when cashed in are worth roughly $2-3k per month when comparing the same airline ticket/hotel stay in cash value. Nothing illegal at all in what I’m doing. Does it violate the T&C on some cards? Yes, but not on all. And that isn’t an illegal activity. Also, the card issuer can cancel the card if they decide they don’t want me using the cards how I am. 

Also, the one hour per week I spend doing this is specific to me and the area in which I live. My usual work schedule makes it more convenient for me. I don’t make special trips to stores to MS, as many others do. If I did, the time spent would significantly go up for the same return. Anything over the amount I currently do would require far more time invested, which is something I’m not interested in. 

As my friends from Missouri would say ...

Show me.

3 hours ago, PotO said:

As my friends from Missouri would say ...

Show me.

Show you what?

So during the current reporting period, the Apple Card APR in my wallet app was abnormally reduced. (17.99% > 17.74%), while my Discover It Card incrementally climbed from 9.99% > 12.74%. What?!?! Do I need to cringe if PIF?  :lol:

1 hour ago, cv91915 said:

I need to start posting over there.

post about the Upgrade! Visa ... I'd love to read that track wreck over there!

4 hours ago, cv91915 said:

I need to start posting over there.

You could always sand down your card and paint little pink flowers on it.  It would match your jacket. 

Call it the CVapple Card. 

Edited by PotO

15 hours ago, Burgerwars said:

I don't have the patience to sand down my Apple Card for hours to make it shiny metal. Anything I can soak my card in to achieve the same?

Acetone? 

Or, there was the old bowling trick (since outlawed once Durometer checks became a thing on Tour)...a bit of MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) which was stronger than acetone...