How many Americans with $1 million feel wealthy? Fewer than you may think

12 hours ago, hegemony said:

another list; I look forward to @PotO's adroit commentary.  The only third world country on the list is Ireland.

https://www.businessinsider.com/personal-finance/countries-retire-abroad-low-taxes-good-healthcare#15-finland-1

Thank you, @hegemony.  I'll try my best, but I'm afraid not many will share my views on taxation or healthcare.

Health care is something I am not at all worried about.  You see, my health care is free until the end of time thanks to Uncle Sam and the suckers taxpayers that keep him afloat.  My wife is covered, too, forever, but the kids only until they are 26.  After that, they will learn it's either sink or swim.

I'm unconcerned about taxation, also.  There are several perfectly legal tools and tricks that keep my taxation at minimal levels and the already-taxed or tax-free assets that Pharma Ho and I have accumulated will see us through the remainder of our years.  

Regardless, let's look at the 15 countries on the Business Insider list:

1.  Finland.  Screw Finland. I'm not into snowmobiles and reindeer anymore. 

2.  Czech Republic.  If I wanted to live in a corrupt and schizophrenic country, I'd choose Seattle thankyouverymuch.  

3.  Luxembourg, Sweden & Austria.  Sounds viable.  Sweden probably less, however.  Swedes are taxed up the butthole and suffer from weather extremes.  Could be worse though, I suppose.  

4.  Germany.  Shethole.  Been there, done that.  Refugee crisis out of hand.  The country has the highest density of anal retentive freaks and Neanderthals this side of Pluto.  Wages are low and taxes are high.  The only advantage is that you can get a cheap Mercedes and can drive as fast as you want.  

5.  Denmark.  No, thanks.  I'll pass on the world's highest cancer rates.  Besides, I'm not that into faux social justice warriors.  

6.  Canada.  I'll pass on Canuckleheads. Winters aren't nice unless you are in the Chinese Province.  Not interested in 4-month waits to see a doctor.  One in every five Canuckleheads is a nutjob.  I guess the good news is that shrinks are free.  

7.  Australia.  Pretty good.  They've butchered the English language, though, but if it's too difficult to understand them at least everybody speaks Chinese.  

8.  New Zealand.  Maybe good, too.  I hear the crime rate is rather low.  Seems Gollum and the Hobbits are rather easy to get along with.  

9.  Iceland.  No, thanks.  The appeal of living in a grass hut went out of style in third grade. 

10.  Ireland.  More booze hounds per square mile than and other place on the planet. The fact that it's cheap could be a plus if you are a lush.  I'll pass.  

11.  Norway.  The warmest months are July and August with highs of around 65 degrees.  Guess to survive the harsh year-round weather they have the highest alcoholism rate in the world.  Higher than, surprisingly, Ireland.  What do you call a sober Norwegian?  Deceased. 

12.  Netherlands.  17% of the country is below sea level.  Swimming classes are mandatory.  They have a beautiful canal latrine system.  You can take a leak anywhere you'd like.  

13.  Switzerland.  Actually, quite good.  Sure, the Swiss aren't particularly friendly, but I'm not looking for friends.  The whole country shuts down on Sundays, but that's also not a problem.  One good thing is that you can buy cheap old German art. ;)   

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How many Americans with $1 million feel wealthy? Fewer than you may think     Followup question: How many Americans feel you are wealthy if you still have $400 in the bank on payda

Interesting I make 50k save half my salary and live just fine in a large metropolitan area in the midwest.

I'll add I feel like a million because I don't owe anyone a past due debt and can enjoy the simple pleasures of being happily retired.

I suggest anyone who thinks that Finland may be their retirement Mecca first move to the Michigan Upper Peninsula in October for a 6 mo trial residency.  While you won't get a feel for the perpetual polar night of northern Finland, surviving 5 months of winter will, at minimum, thicken your blood.

Interesting fact:  Finns account for 16% of the Michigan "Yoop-er" population.  Michigan mines aggressively recruited Finnish workers in the later 1800's.

On 10/3/2020 at 1:10 AM, PotO said:

Thank you, @hegemony.  I'll try my best, but I'm afraid not many will share my views on taxation or healthcare.

Health care is something I am not at all worried about.  You see, my health care is free until the end of time thanks to Uncle Sam and the suckers taxpayers that keep him afloat.  My wife is covered, too, forever, but the kids only until they are 26.  After that, they will learn it's either sink or swim.

I'm unconcerned about taxation, also.  There are several perfectly legal tools and tricks that keep my taxation at minimal levels and the already-taxed or tax-free assets that Pharma Ho and I have accumulated will see us through the remainder of our years.  

Regardless, let's look at the 15 countries on the Business Insider list:

1.  Finland.  Screw Finland. I'm not into snowmobiles and reindeer anymore. 

2.  Czech Republic.  If I wanted to live in a corrupt and schizophrenic country, I'd choose Seattle thankyouverymuch.  

3.  Luxembourg, Sweden & Austria.  Sounds viable.  Sweden probably less, however.  Swedes are taxed up the butthole and suffer from weather extremes.  Could be worse though, I suppose.  

4.  Germany.  Shethole.  Been there, done that.  Refugee crisis out of hand.  The country has the highest density of anal retentive freaks and Neanderthals this side of Pluto.  Wages are low and taxes are high.  The only advantage is that you can get a cheap Mercedes and can drive as fast as you want.  

5.  Denmark.  No, thanks.  I'll pass on the world's highest cancer rates.  Besides, I'm not that into faux social justice warriors.  

6.  Canada.  I'll pass on Canuckleheads. Winters aren't nice unless you are in the Chinese Province.  Not interested in 4-month waits to see a doctor.  One in every five Canuckleheads is a nutjob.  I guess the good news is that shrinks are free.  

7.  Australia.  Pretty good.  They've butchered the English language, though, but if it's too difficult to understand them at least everybody speaks Chinese.  

8.  New Zealand.  Maybe good, too.  I hear the crime rate is rather low.  Seems Gollum and the Hobbits are rather easy to get along with.  

9.  Iceland.  No, thanks.  The appeal of living in a grass hut went out of style in third grade. 

10.  Ireland.  More booze hounds per square mile than and other place on the planet. The fact that it's cheap could be a plus if you are a lush.  I'll pass.  

11.  Norway.  The warmest months are July and August with highs of around 65 degrees.  Guess to survive the harsh year-round weather they have the highest alcoholism rate in the world.  Higher than, surprisingly, Ireland.  What do you call a sober Norwegian?  Deceased. 

12.  Netherlands.  17% of the country is below sea level.  Swimming classes are mandatory.  They have a beautiful canal latrine system.  You can take a leak anywhere you'd like.  

13.  Switzerland.  Actually, quite good.  Sure, the Swiss aren't particularly friendly, but I'm not looking for friends.  The whole country shuts down on Sundays, but that's also not a problem.  One good thing is that you can buy cheap old German art. ;)   

The only 2 places on this list that I have visited and rather enjoyed were Austria and Australia. I could see myself living and being happy in both Countries.

ETA: In the Bay Area and LA Metro, just about everyone has 1 million dollars, and is about equivalent to $100,000. It's gets you nowhere.

Edited by NorCalR1
cost of living
8 hours ago, hegemony said:

note that having a million and being worth a million are two very different scenarios.

Here on CB there are three scenarios:

1.  Having a million;

2.  Being worth a million; and

3.  Having access to a million.

If you are #1, then you are #2, but not necessarily #3.  If you are #2, you are not necessarily #1 or #3.  If you #3, you may ultimately be both #1 and #2, but then lose #3.

Smart money is on @hegemony being #1, #2 and #3. ;) 

Edited by PotO
  • 4 weeks later...
13 hours ago, hegemony said:

These Countries Have Shorter Residency Requirements for Citizenship & Passports

Singapore I could do; the whole island is a shopping mall and they don't tolerate hillbillies; Thailand might work too as long as I get my record expunged from my trips there in the 1990s.

You'd get really bored in Singapore after a week.  It takes about an hour to drive around the entire country.  You are right about hillbillies, though.  If they see on your passport you are from Arkansas they refuse entry. ;)

I seriously doubt they will ever expunge your record in Thailand.  Your ladyboy pal is probably governor by now, controls all the police and still is out for revenge.  You know perfectly well, buddy, that shyte happens when you get drunk. ;)

14 hours ago, PotO said:

You'd get really bored in Singapore after a week.  It takes about an hour to drive around the entire country.  You are right about hillbillies, though.  If they see on your passport you are from Arkansas they refuse entry. ;)

I seriously doubt they will ever expunge your record in Thailand.  Your ladyboy pal is probably governor by now, controls all the police and still is out for revenge.  You know perfectly well, buddy, that shyte happens when you get drunk. ;)

If I end up in Singapore I'd need to slum in JB every few weeks to remind myself that most of the world doesn't smell like Lysol and chili crab.

12 hours ago, hegemony said:

If I end up in Singapore I'd need to slum in JB every few weeks to remind myself that most of the world doesn't smell like Lysol and chili crab.

Johor Bahru????  😲🤢🤮

Seriously, bro, as bad as Lysol and chili crab is, it beats Eau de Cesspool and roasted goat any day.  The only good thing about Malaysia is China or the sexy Western expats that hang out at Malaysian beach resorts working as PADI scuba instructors.  

2 hours ago, PotO said:

Johor Bahru????  😲🤢🤮

Seriously, bro, as bad as Lysol and chili crab is, it beats Eau de Cesspool and roasted goat any day.  The only good thing about Malaysia is China or the sexy Western expats that hang out at Malaysian beach resorts working as PADI scuba instructors.  

JB is the West Little Rock of SE Asia

14 hours ago, hegemony said:

Canadians.  An exciting day for a Canucklehead is watching moose mate. 

But it is true that you can get "everything you could imagine" in Belize.  Robbed, stabbed to death, drowned, raped & simply disappeared.  Don't worry the cops will take care of any extra coffee you leave behind.  

• 5 weeks later...
On 11/6/2020 at 2:07 PM, hegemony said:

A previous version of this story incorrectly said that Ambergris Caye had a championship golf course and some waterfalls. It does not. The story has been corrected.