swedishhands

What recurring bills do you pay with your credit card??

We are discontinuing use of our debit card as much as possible and using our credit card(s) normal expenses that we always used our Debit Card for and paying off balance at the end of the month.

What monthly recurring bills are you using your credit card to pay?

Is there anyone using their Credit Card to pay their Mortgage Payment?

Based on your experience, what has been the best card to use for normal monthly expenses?

Assuming $2000 per month x 12 months; Cash back cards at 2% earn $480 cash annually.  do they pay monthly or annually?   Using the same amount of money, a Credit Card that pays 1 mile per $1 dollar spent equates to 24,000 miles which is 1000 miles short for most round trip tickets.

Who is using what..... for what?

30 minutes ago, Burgerwars said:

I doubt you can pay your mortgage with a credit card. AT&T and Spectrum cable I pay by credit card.

there are services that charge a fee that you can charge your mortgage to a card and then they mail a check... at least one of them has been known to not be very fast at mailing the checks.

I use my US Bank REI MasterCard to pay my cell phone bill every month -- if I use this card to pay my cell phone bill, they give me free insurance against theft, loss, or breakage of my phone.  It's a better deal than AppleCare.

I use my Citibank Costco Visa for restaurants and travel (3% rebate) and for gasoline (4% rebate) and for groceries and other items at Costco (2% rebate).  Next year I will probably get another card with better travel perks.  Maybe something like AMEX Platinum or Chase Sapphire.  I just got the Citibank Costco Visa this year so I'm going to wait until it's a year old to open another new account.

I've been thinking of setting up auto bill pay on my other utilities with my credit union Visa card.  

Anything that can be. Netflix, Hulu, Verizon are the three that I can think of off the top of my head. Any monthly expense I have on autopay on one of my credit cards. My debit card is locked in my watch case. I even paid off a student loan using one of my credit cards. as they were charging me $3 anyway just for doing a one-time payment. Oddly, they only accepted Discover and MasterCard; not even Visa. 

Concur with the 'anything that can be...' line of thinking. 

Cell phone gets paid by CC as does water and electric for each of the houses.  DISH was getting paid by CC until I DC'ed the service when they refused to negotiate with HBO in good faith to get the services restored for the user-base.  I currently have both Netflix and the HBO streaming services that go to a card.  I also have a storage unit that I put on a card each month. 

Car insurance gets put on the card, although there are two different policies- the XK8 and Miata go on a specialty plan while the other three vehicles are with a traditional carrier noted for some really stupid commercials. 

When I had a note on the Grand Marquis, FoMoCo would permit payments to be made by credit card.  Not sure if that was just a Ford Credit thing or if all lenders in that era were allowing payments that way.  Jaguar does not despite using the same basic backbone that Ford was using...

Nothing ever went on debit...I'm so old-school in that regard that it is literally just an ATM card with no V/MC logo or capability to be used in that fashion.  The bank keeps asking if I want to change, but I won't use it so why get a new card?

2 hours ago, centex said:

Concur with the 'anything that can be...' line of thinking. 

Cell phone gets paid by CC as does water and electric for each of the houses.  DISH was getting paid by CC until I DC'ed the service when they refused to negotiate with HBO in good faith to get the services restored for the user-base.  I currently have both Netflix and the HBO streaming services that go to a card.  I also have a storage unit that I put on a card each month. 

Car insurance gets put on the card, although there are two different policies- the XK8 and Miata go on a specialty plan while the other three vehicles are with a traditional carrier noted for some really stupid commercials. 

When I had a note on the Grand Marquis, FoMoCo would permit payments to be made by credit card.  Not sure if that was just a Ford Credit thing or if all lenders in that era were allowing payments that way.  Jaguar does not despite using the same basic backbone that Ford was using...

Nothing ever went on debit...I'm so old-school in that regard that it is literally just an ATM card with no V/MC logo or capability to be used in that fashion.  The bank keeps asking if I want to change, but I won't use it so why get a new card?

Off Topic: So, a Miata and a Grand Marquis? My image of you in my head is so confused. It just went from Katrina Bennett to Martin Crane 🤣

56 minutes ago, Bad Doctor Frost said:

Off Topic: So, a Miata and a Grand Marquis? My image of you in my head is so confused. It just went from Katrina Bennett to Martin Crane 🤣

Miata/GM and three Jags...used to be four but the ex has one of them now. 

I pay everything I can on a credit card. the only bills not included in this due to inability to directly pay with a card are gas and electrics. I even pay my pr0perty taxes once a year with a card. the county's system only accepts credit over the phone (auto system not a live person so not as good of customer service as subprime discovery).

Netflix, Hulu, and monthly train pass go to a Wells Fargo Propel as it gets 3X points. 

Natural gas, internet, cell phone, storage, other misc. monthly subscriptions go to a 2% cash back. 

Everything else goes to Amex for anywhere from 1.2X-4X points. 

I haven’t used the old debit card ever since I’ve been back in the unsecured game. I had a scare a few years back when my PayPal business debit got compromised for several hundred worth in fraudulent charges. It was linked to my bank checking account. I got lucky with timing. I noticed it early and was able to catch some of the ACH transactions before they went through. Luckily it wasn’t the end of the month when rent was due.