High UTIL on card -Should I get removed as an AU?

DPB

The last post in this topic was posted 931 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

My mom has a Target MC on which I’m an AU. It has a somewhat low CL of $3500, but is my 3rd oldest TL at just over 11 years. She added me after I had to file BK7 in 2011 so I could start to rebuild. 

The card is only supposed to be used for two things:

1- When my mom shops at Target (for the 5% off)

2- When she needs me to buy things for her since she is terrible about paying me back

We agreed that as long as I’m an AU she’d never let it report a balance over $1000.

Well, today I received an alert from myFICO. UTIL is at 89%!!! This isn’t the first time this has happened. I seem to have to have a conversation with her about this once a year or so. This time she apparently “had” to make a purchase and all of her other cards are maxed out - she’s not good at budgeting or self-control. I told her that it severely impacted my FICO score. Her response was that she just got the statement and that she’ll pay it before the due date. Hell, I’d have just paid the roughly $2k to keep the UTIL under 30% if she had told me that she did thisI just can’t seem to make her understand that if a statement generates with a balance over 30% of the limit that it negatively impacts MY scores. 

This is time it dropped my EQ FICO 8 by 29 points. It hasn’t hit the other CRAs yet, but that’s just a matter of time. I was considering apping a Chase card for myself. I was actually on the Chase site trying to decide if I was going to app a personal card or one for my business when the alert popped up on my phone. 

My mom clearly doesn’t care about her credit, even if she takes me down with her. Should I just have myself removed from her card and be done with all of this? Or would it be smarter to have her pay it off (again) and keep the history since it’s already reported for the month?

Edited by DPB

6 hours ago, DPB said:

My mom clearly doesn’t care about her credit, even if she takes me down with her. 

You answered your own question.

Also, generally speaking, money and family don't mix well.

1 hour ago, cv91915 said:

You answered your own question.

Also, generally speaking, money and family don't mix well.

I guess I was just afraid that it would hurt AAoA as I’m only around 5.5 years now. 

But it you’re definitely right about family and money not mixing well. Especially with my family, as that’s the reason I had to declare BK. Although that was caused by a different family member. 

Do I just call the number on the card and instruct them to remove me, or does my mom have to do that? And how long until the negative info is removed from my reports?

Edited by DPB

26 minutes ago, DPB said:

I guess I was just afraid that it would hurt AAoA as I’m only around 5.5 years now. 

But it you’re definitely right about family and money not mixing well. Especially with my family, as that’s the reason I had to declare BK. Although that was caused by a different family member. 

Do I just call the number on the card and instruct them to remove me, or does my mom have to do that? And how long until the negative info is removed from my reports?

Your mother will likely have to call to have you removed.

The account will stay on your reports if you take no action, however AUs are easy to remove with a simple dispute.  

I removed three or four AUs per bureau last year so I could get under 5/24 to pick up a new Chase card.  

25 minutes ago, cv91915 said:

Your mother will likely have to call to have you removed.

The account will stay on your reports if you take no action, however AUs are easy to remove with a simple dispute.  

I removed three or four AUs per bureau last year so I could get under 5/24 to pick up a new Chase card.  

Ok, I’ll have her do that today. 

Is this one of the disputes that I can do online? I’m assuming that I’d just say that it’s not my account once I’ve been removed. 

1 hour ago, DPB said:

Ok, I’ll have her do that today. 

Is this one of the disputes that I can do online? I’m assuming that I’d just say that it’s not my account once I’ve been removed. 

Yes, I did mine online.  I actually created a thread, but I can't seem to find it...  

I don't recall the specifics, but on each bureau there will either a choice something like "not responsible for this account" or you'll have to select "Other" and state something similar (varies by bureau).

They all dropped within a few days of the dispute.  I don't recall if I waited a billing cycle or not, or if that even matters.  Others may weigh in on that.

Edited by cv91915

The last post in this topic was posted 931 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.