Sign in to follow this  
KingHeart

Hertz Car Sales Nightmare

Posted (edited)

Straight to the point I found a Durango I was interested in purchasing from Hertz sales, price was good and low miles. Got a approval from Capital One, that I’ve been sitting on for the past two weeks now. Expecting things to go smoothly since I already have the approval the opposite happen. 

During inspection I notice a deep stretch on the entire drive size that reached to the rear bumper. Salesman said his boss agreed to send it out for repair. Found out the boss has been using the vehicle as a loaner and racked up 2000 additional miles, that’s more then what’s listed on the website. 

Anywho the salesman sent the application to Capital One he comes back and says Capital One wants $1000 down. I walked and said no. He then suggest I let them run it through their bank, I said no. While driving home I called Capital One and asked why did I need to put money down when online it didn’t require a down payment. The rep said she didn’t understand why either and said based on the numbers from the dealer they can “finance the car out” without anything down, just call the dealer and let them know they updated the callback system to reflex that. I called the salesman man and he puts me on hold and comebacks and say Capital One lowered it to $300. I said coo I’m not losing the deal over $300. 

Here is the problem. The dealership is 1 hour away from my home, I asked the salesman can they send the car to the body shop and once it’s done in a few days I’ll come sign the papers and take delivery, he said his boss wouldn’t agree to that, because if it doesn’t sale they’ll send it to auction and they’ll lose money. I immediately got offended considering I drove 1 hour and already had financing in place. So for him to basically say we want a sign deal before they send it out for repair was a insult. I immediately cut him off and said have a nice day. I’m pissed off that I got 3 inquiries from Capital One and 1 from Hertz and nothing to show for it. I can cry right now I’m so pissed. Prior to this I only had 3 inquires on each report. I really liked that car man. Don’t know what to do. I hate car shopping so stressful. Scores 653 639 644 

Edited by KingHeart

wow. you are silly to reward them with a sale. walk away and run away from the Dodge.

FWIW, inquiries don't really matter; certainly not worth as much as your time is worth.

Thanks Heg and CV... So what timeframe is covered for rate shopping as it relate to auto loans that count as one inquiry?  

23 minutes ago, KingHeart said:

Thanks Heg and CV... So what timeframe is covered for rate shopping as it relate to auto loans that count as one inquiry?  

It's in the link I posted.

I would NEVER buy an former rental car as a used car (seeing as you said you are buying from Hertz I am assuming this is the case).  People drive rental cars like absolute sh!t because they don't own them.   They have no incentive to treat them well because it isn't their car, and the companies do just enough to keep them road worthy.

I would run from this offer and go with either a local dealer, or the national ones CV mentioned.

Just remember, if it looks to good to be true, it probably is.

1 hour ago, KingHeart said:

It was the auto navigator approval. No docs required. Only DL and Insurance Marv.

Did you receive your approval packet?  It has all the information you need to take to the dealership.  It also includes the URL with verification codes that the dealership uses to verify your loan is valid for the vehicle being purchased and you have submitted all required documentation for your part.

No... I applied online, received a reference number and told to go pick out a car and the dealer submits the paperwork and I drive off. Too bad that didn’t happen. I believe the dealer tried putting the $1000 to cover the body shop work. 

So actually what you had was a preapproval.  The final numbers would be submitted and formally approved via the dealer interface with Capital One.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, CTSoxFan said:

I would NEVER buy an former rental car as a used car (seeing as you said you are buying from Hertz I am assuming this is the case).  People drive rental cars like absolute sh!t because they don't own them.   They have no incentive to treat them well because it isn't their car, and the companies do just enough to keep them road worthy.

I would run from this offer and go with either a local dealer, or the national ones CV mentioned.

Just remember, if it looks to good to be true, it probably is.

That’s not always true. This vehicle had only 28k miles on it’s and it’s from Texas. It’s only been in services for 1 and 4 months. No accidents and the list price was a steal. Most people who rent cars don’t want claims against their insurance policies or to be responsible for damages. So in fact their more careful with the rental vehicle then their own personal vehicle. 

Edited by KingHeart

regardless of the merits of buying a former rental car and regardless of the terrible reliability of dodge SUVs and trucks, the main problem is that you are not punishing the dealer for treating you like shit. I would have no confidence in anything that dealer is selling based on what you say you experienced.

FWIW, I drive rentals hard and put them away wet. When I see a rental with >20k on it I ask for a different vehicle. 20k is like a lifetime for a rental car. I recently had a rental with 20k on it. I drove 500 miles in a week. If my mileage was average, that means about 30 different driver drove the car. Have you observed the median driver out there? 50% are idiots 50% are dolts and the other 50% are uninsured.

23 minutes ago, hegemony said:

FWIW, I drive rentals hard and put them away wet. When I see a rental with >20k on it I ask for a different vehicle. 20k is like a lifetime for a rental car. I recently had a rental with 20k on it. I drove 500 miles in a week. If my mileage was average, that means about 30 different driver drove the car. Have you observed the median driver out there? 50% are idiots 50% are dolts and the other 50% are uninsured.

This, exactly!

31 minutes ago, KingHeart said:

That’s not always true. This vehicle had only 28k miles on it’s and it’s from Texas. It’s only been in services for 1 and 4 months. No accidents and the list price was a steal. Most people who rent cars don’t want claims against their insurance policies or to be responsible for damages. So in fact their more careful with the rental vehicle then their own personal vehicle. 

How do you know it was never in an accident?  CarFax?  Those reports are notoriously inaccurate (just do a google search).  Because the dealer said so?  Well, based on what you've typed he doesn't exactly strike me as a beacon of integrity.

Just because it is from Texas doesn't mean it wasn't abused.  It could've been driven across dirt oil fields its whole time.

Again I say if it is too good to be true, it probably is.  If you are still dead set on making this purchase, even with all the red flags, I would strongly urge you to get a private party inspection done by a qualified mechanic you can trust. 

For a daily commuter I wouldn't hesitate to buy a former rental car for the right price, as long as I had a reasonably-priced MBI policy in place for the duration of ownership (which would also be true for most any used car).

But I don't actually commute, so maybe my opinion doesn't count.  :P 

Another enthusiastic vote for an independent inspection before buying!

I was merely stating the price point had me sold not to mention the color which was limited in production is a rare find. As I originally stated I decided not to move forward with the purchase. The salesman told me, Hertz take their cars out of services once they have made what they paid the manufacturer for the car. Quote “If we sell a car from this lot, that’s a bonus. If not it goes to auction, we still get paid” his point, I don’t give a shhh if I sell you this car or not. This guy was a real tool

I’m also puzzled why I received a inquiry from COAF on my TransUnion report. What lender is that? Pissed.

Posted (edited)
On 7/2/2019 at 7:19 PM, MarvBear said:

COAF is capital one Auto finance.

OMG I’m stupid. I’m not good with acronyms 

Edited by CTSoxFan
changing to a less offensive term