xdfgf

Upcoming Amex Green revamp

With an upcoming refresh of the American Express Green card there are several rumors swirling about potential improvements. Right now the Green offers 2x points on purchases through the amextravel portal and 1x on everything else for a $95 AF. Yawn. 

The current rumors are suggesting a June/July/August launch bringing with it 4x on "gas" and 3x on "streaming services" with a wild card of free Amazon Prime with membership. Not awful at all if true. I'd be curious to see the caveats that will certainly come with the gas category, and the streaming services seem a little petty since I'm sure even the most die hard cord cutter only spends around 50-75 a month in service fees. As with all the other charge card refreshes I expect to see a bump in the AF to around $149 which leaves this a little underwhelming to me. If it's meant to be an intro to AmEx charge cards then it would seem to entice the everyday folks you need to include everyday expenses for instance, cellular service. Maybe free phone insurance for any service paid with the card, similar to the propel from WF. Just throwing daydreams out here. 

Anything you would want to see with a potential refresh?

Original link:  https://www.doctorofcredit.com/rumor-american-express-to-refresh-green-card-4x-on-gas-3x-on-streaming-more/

My Greenie is D*1995 or it would have been closed years ago.

Even with Amex offers I can barely recoup the cost of the AF ($95 back from Amex offers in 2018; YTD 2019: $0).

In its current form it's a pretty useless card, so if they bump the AF they need to add a lot of value to compensate.

50 minutes ago, cv91915 said:

Even with Amex offers I can barely recoup the cost of the AF ($95 back from Amex offers in 2018; YTD 2019: $0).

In its current form it's a pretty useless card, so if they bump the AF they need to add a lot of value to compensate.

Agreed. I'm really enjoying the amex charge card "lifestyle" (lol) but would be willing to pay another smaller AF for another card that could help flesh out our MR earning. We have a BBP already so we got the 2x locked up, just looking for another larger multiplier for everyday expenses. I'm pretty excited to see what comes out of this, I just hope it's not flying/airline centric. We just aren't big travelers right now, when we get to that point we will look at the platinum or CSR if chase will have me.

55 minutes ago, cv91915 said:

If you get Amazon Prime for free with the card that would offset all but $30 of the AF

3 hours ago, DPB said:

If you get Amazon Prime for free with the card that would offset all but $30 of the AF

IHT44156-BLACK-POST.jpg?1522867259

I already have Platinum and Gold. I would need more than just 4x on fuel, and Amazon Prime to make me consider adding Green to the herd. 

OR.....

Leave green alone, and add some multipliers to Platinum besides restaurant and grocery. Also leave the AF at $550.

If they added some more multipliers to platinum, I'd consider picking it up and skipping the green.

I'm hoping the "streaming services" is a catch all in reality for an entertainment category at 3x or so. Netflix and movie night/theatre etc. I'd be pretty happy with that.

I still do not understand why AMEX treats the Green card as an afterthought. Yes, AMEX makes a lot of money with the Platinum and Gold cards [Centurion is in another class beyond many of us], but not everyone can use air travel perks, luxury hotel perks, discounts at "higher end" retailers, etc. that the Platinum / Gold cards offer. 

Please come out with benefits that work more for those people that do not have an upper third percentile income. 

15 hours ago, insolent1 said:

I still do not understand why AMEX treats the Green card as an afterthought. Yes, AMEX makes a lot of money with the Platinum and Gold cards [Centurion is in another class beyond many of us], but not everyone can use air travel perks, luxury hotel perks, discounts at "higher end" retailers, etc. that the Platinum / Gold cards offer. 

Please come out with benefits that work more for those people that do not have an upper third percentile income. 

I would suspect that their thinking is that 1) they ARE a travel company and 2) their target demographic is the population that travels and dines on a regular basis.  Other spending is just fluff in the grand scheme of things. 

One need not be in the top third in order to extract value from even the Gold card.  As I recall, only the Green was supplied to us when I worked for the State of Texas.   

So just an observation, Rose gold ends on 7/17, prime days are 7/15-16th. If there is a promotion for an amazon card that offers free prime, the day after primeday and the same day another big promotion ends, would be a pretty good day to launch. 

Fwiw

3 hours ago, centex said:

I would suspect that their thinking is that 1) they ARE a travel company and 2) their target demographic is the population that travels and dines on a regular basis.  Other spending is just fluff in the grand scheme of things. 

This.  Plus they have a whole range of cash rewards products for the non-traveler.  Granted it is a credit card vs. a charge card, but works the same if you PIF.

Posted (edited)

New Blue Biz Cash

They killed off the old Blue Biz SimplyCash and released a new card with a flat 2% cash back on the first $50k and then 1% after that. Not real exciting

No new rumors or info on Green refresh. Looking more and more stale by the day....

Edited by xdfgf

35 minutes ago, xdfgf said:

New Blue Biz Cash

They killed off the old Blue Biz SimplyCash and released a new card with a flat 2% cash back on the first $50k and then 1% after that. Not real exciting

No new rumors or info on Green refresh. Looking more and more stale by the day....

I have a Staples spending offer on my Greenie ($10 back on $40).  This is the most excitement I've had with the card in 2019.

On 7/18/2019 at 1:55 PM, cv91915 said:

I have a Staples spending offer on my Greenie ($10 back on $40).  This is the most excitement I've had with the card in 2019.

Stacked that with the extra point per dollar at staples on my BB+, then went through rakuten for an addition 6% in MR.

Amex is pushing 35k mr offers to green card holders right now to upgrade to the gold

60k to upgrade green to platinum

In other news a new round of targeted 100k has gone out from Amex direct, and a new round from Schwab for platinum*

No word on green update still, tick tock tick tock

Anyone got a referral for the $100 new account at schwab you can hook a brother up with? PM me

1 hour ago, xdfgf said:

Stacked that with the extra point per dollar at staples on my BB+, then went through rakuten for an addition 6% in MR.

Amex is pushing 35k mr offers to green card holders right now to upgrade to the gold

60k to upgrade green to platinum

In other news a new round of targeted 100k has gone out from Amex direct, and a new round from Schwab for platinum*

No word on green update still, tick tock tick tock

Anyone got a referral for the $100 new account at schwab you can hook a brother up with? PM me

Just PMed you a Schwab offer...

On 6/24/2019 at 12:06 PM, DPB said:

Maybe, but there's half a dozen cards that include Prime and how many Prime accounts does one need?

3 hours ago, CTSoxFan said:

Just PMed you a Schwab offer...

Thank you so much! Now I just have to wait for 100k schwab plat offer to come along

3 hours ago, shifter said:

Maybe, but there's half a dozen cards that include Prime and how many Prime accounts does one need?

Really? I honestly haven't seen any that offer a free Prime membership.

On 6/24/2019 at 8:27 AM, cv91915 said:

D* is the only reason to have the green card

1 hour ago, DPB said:

Really? I honestly haven't seen any that offer a free Prime membership.

So maybe that was hyperbole, but there was the Amex Blue Cash a while back and I feel like I've been seeing free Prime being offered as a perk by quite a few places. 

12 minutes ago, shifter said:

So maybe that was hyperbole, but there was the Amex Blue Cash a while back and I feel like I've been seeing free Prime being offered as a perk by quite a few places. 

are you thinking shoprunner?

18 minutes ago, shifter said:

I found no cards currently offering free Prime. Not even the actual Amazon Prime cards offered by Amex and Chase. 

So I stand by my previous comment. I’d get a greenie if it came with free Prime membership. I could easily extract more than the remaining $30 of the AF using Amex offers. 

I’d get a greenie if it came with free Prime membership and D*.

A generous SUB would be nice too. And a pony.

On 8/20/2019 at 4:20 PM, Occam said:

And a pony.

OK, you got me!  lol

Green card is no longer listed on the AmEx website. And people have been receiving emails about applying for the new card today. SUB is 35k MR for $1k spend, but no mention of the card benefits yet. Emails may have been a bit premature since clicking the link opens a page saying that the new offer is being prepared and you’ll be notified when it’s ready. 

Sounds like the refresh is underway.