Sign in to follow this  
Sidewinder

Timing purchases to statement cycles

Unprecedented political divisiveness, humanitarian crises at the border, and massive geopolitical uncertainties is ONE thing (OK three things) but the actual reason why global society is unbalanced - here I risk the obvious - is that Brooks 2-inch "Go-To" running shorts are only available in the Asphalt/Jasper color combo at REI https://www.rei.com/product/134152/brooks-go-to-2-split-shorts-mens - not from RoadRunner, not from Running Warehouse, and not even from the website of Brooks Running itself.

In response to this orbit-rattling disparity, I decided I would buy these shorts.

Actually that might have been in response to just a inclination to buy the blamed things.

(I climbed 100 flights of stairs on Sunday, then 75 each on Monday, and Tuesday, thus satisfying my "no new shorts for you until..." proviso).  

Anyway, my CrapitalOne Platinum MasterCard statement closes on the 17th, so I decided to wait till the 18th to make the purchase (see).  That way the bill doesn't appear until late July and I have until August 14th to pay. 

I already have the durn money, but still I think I'm entitled to feel crafty.  (It would reeeally count for something if my cash were sitting in a genuinely worthwhile-interest-bearing checking account, but tain't happening.)

Do you ever play that game?  Wait till day one of a statement cycle in order to give yourself >50 days to pay? :D

9 hours ago, Sidewinder said:

Do you ever play that game?  Wait till day one of a statement cycle in order to give yourself >50 days to pay? :D

I wouldn't call it a game, but absolutely I have waited until the statement cut to make a purchase, especially if it is a large purchase or if I am trying to ensure a 0 balance for the month.

Concur that I wouldn't call it a game, but I have had some non-essential purchases I have placed on hold if I was within a day or two of the statement closing.  Knowing when each closes and how long it tends to take to post is one of the things I have tracked.