Good morning!  I’m trying to get my husband and I’s credit repaired. I started the repair based on information from elsewhere, so I’ve done a few different things and just last week mailed some letters. I received a private message from someone on another board suggesting that I check out WHYCHATS HIPAA method. It sounds like something I want to try but because I’ve already began some of the processes from other’s suggestions I don’t know where I should start. Here’s what I’ve done so far.

Husband’s report

One paid medical collection from 2016 - Paid in full in 2017 to CA- reports on 2 bureaus as such- I’ve currently sent Verification letter to the CRA and what was called a 609 letter to the CA (last week)- I had previously sent 2 Goodwill letters APRIL and MAY

One paid medical collection for $40 also paid to CA in May reports on one bureau as being unpaid. Have included it in letter to CRA for verification, also 609 letter sent to CA

One Paid medical collection for $78 also paid to CA in May reports on 2 bureaus as being unpaid. Have included it in letters to CRA for verification also 609 letter sent to CA

One unpaid non medical collection OC DISHNETWORK for $145, held by a CA, considering trying to pay dish network as this is a recent (within the last year) collection.

My report

One unpaid medical collection for $159 from 2016, Verification requested from CRA received debt validation from CA, not sure where to go from here, as I have sent another round of verification letter to the CRA just last week and this was included on it.

One unpaid medical collection for $302 (or $304 different amounts across the CRA’s) Included in verification letters to CRA, have not received anything directly from CA, not even a bill as far as I’m aware. Did contact original medical provider to try to make payment and they refused to take payment. Also included this in a CRA verification letter last week.

I can copy and paste the verbiage of the letters that I have recently sent if that helps at all. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Welcome to Creditboards!

We hope that you find what you're looking for here.

Some helpful tips:

• Your post may not get a reply right away. Don't be discouraged, this is a very busy board. If it falls off of the first page, feel free to reply to your post yourself, with the word *bump* in the text. This will *bump* your post back up to the top of the board.
  • If you haven't yet, take a peek at out Newbies Section. Everything that you need to know is in that forum, for the most part. It's a lot of reading, we know, but this credit stuff can have a steep learning curve. In no time, you'll be posting like the pros!
  • If you find that someone is discourteous to you, use the REPORT button at the top right of every post - that will ensure that a moderator or admin looks at the post and decides if it is against the TOS.
  • Off -topic posts should go in the General Forum.

Again, welcome to the CreditBoards family!

CB Admin: LKH, Pam, radi8, :angel:breeze:angel: & MarvBear

Deal with ONLY the medical accounts first. DO NOT do anything with any non medical accounts until you have completed the HIPAA program for the medical accounts.

Follow the guides; ( both of you should opt out and try to get old addresses deleted)

https://whychat.me/GUIDEBOOK.html

https://whychat.me/GUIDE HIPAA PROGRAM.html

Send each CRA the initial dispute letter

https://whychat.me/hipaadisp.html

Include ALL medical accounts as they appear on the report you are disputing.

It is possible that one or more of the CRAs will respond with an "already disputed" letter. Ignore it and just wait for the results from all the CRAs

Send the reporting CAs the medical DV for each of the CRA reports they are still on after the results from your initial dispute letter

https://whychat.me/ltrcavalhipaa.html

for accounts showing a balance due

https://whychat.me/ltrcavalhipaa.html#PAID

for accounts showing as paid

Send each CRA the follow up dispute as soon as you have the proof of receipt from the medical DV

https://whychat.me/ltrcavalhipaa.html#DISPUTE

Ok will def hold off on dealing with the non-medical then. 

Yes, I’ve read your guidelines. My main question though is do I need to wait any amount of time before I start your way of doing this, since I sent out the other letters that I was advised to send just last week? Do I need to wait until the investigation is over on those?

Ideally you should wait until you have a response from your previous letters. However, from your initial post you apparently did not actually DISPUTE the accounts with the CRAs but sent some kind of "verification" letters. As I said, you MAY get a response from those CRAs that your new disputes are duplicates, however that would not interfere with the program. It is going to be difficult to get accounts that you paid to CAs off your reports but we will work together to try to clean the mess up. As to starting -- you MUST opt out (both you and your spouse) and do your best to delete old addresses BEFORE sending any new dispute letters out.

Ok. Got it. I’ll work on opting out and addresses and then see where the current letters take me. Here’s the template that I used if that helps at all:

SampleCreditInvestigationDisputeLetter.docx

Date

Your Name

Address

Credit Bureau

Bureau Address

To Whom it May Concern,

I've just reviewed my credit report and have noticed there are several items
on my report that I am requesting that you investigate per my legal rights under the FCRA – Fair Credit Reporting Act:

Chase VISA Acct: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:

This account is listed as being 30 days late. Please verify that this account was indeed late as you report or I demand that you delete all late payments from the account and/or delete the account from my report.

(List one account aspect per account that you wish to have investigated such as late status, account number, date of last activity, balance, opening date etc.  Change the aspects that you investigate with each subsequent letter that you send).

Sears Acct: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:

Please verify account number is as you report or I demand that you delete all late payments from the account and/or delete the account from my report.

(List one account aspect per account that you wish to have investigated such as late status, account number, date of last activity, balance, opening date etc.  Change the aspects that you investigate with each subsequent letter that you send).

Universal Acct: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:

This account is listed as being 30 days late. Please verify that this account was indeed or I demand that you delete all late payments from the account and/or delete the account from my report.

In addition, there are a number of credit accounts which have been inactive for more
than 7 years. As you know, the FCRA states that all credit older than 7 years should be
removed from my report. The following accounts should be removed: (ONLY do this obviously with old NEGATIVE accounts)
Diner's Club Acct: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:
GE Consumer Card Acct: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:
Macy's Acct: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:

I have enclosed a copy of my driver's license, social security card and utility bill as proof of identity, social security number and residence.

Sincerely,

Your FULL Name Social Security Number Date of Birth

Absolutely useless form letter. I doubt it will have any effect on the HIPAA letter program or indeed that you will get anything other than (at best) a form letter response.

So my credit Karma updated this morning and both medical collections have disappeared off my Transunion report and Equifax has a note on the only one that appears on it as being under reinvestigation. This is all after the verification letter that I sent 2ish weeks ago not the hipaa letter. 

I have the hipaa letters all ready to send out but I’m thinking maybe I should wait and see what Equifax turns up for me after the reinvestigation? 

What do you think?

It’s also been suggested to me that since one of them now doesn’t appear on any of my reports, that I should call the CA and settle the debt or else they’ll just put it back on the report. What do you think about that?

Also Equifax sent me an email that the reinvestigation has began. I never even provided them with an email, I find this very weird. 

"settling " the debt with the CA is a VERY BAD idea. It is more than likely that whomever made that suggestion is either a complete idiot or a CA troll. An account once deleted can not be re-inserted legally.

You probably have an account on line with Equifax that provided them with your e-mail address.

Yes you can wait to send out any HIPAA letter until you have the results from Eq.

Make sure you are still opted out.

Make HARD COPIES of your clean reports just in case the disappearance of the accounts is a temporary one due to the nature of your previous "dispute".

One more question. I tried to pull fresh reports over the weekend and I was unable to get them because they said “unavailable due to a dispute in progress”.  Is this normal? What site do you recommend pulling them from if you’ve already used your free annual credit reports? 

I have an Experian credit monitoring subscription, but I know you’ve said in another places not to use 3rd party services for dispute purposes. 

Also the reason they told me to settle the debt is because they will sell the debt to a different agency and that agency will put it back on. 

If you have a recent REAL report with a report ID# you can try to use the "back door" method. This is somewhat complicated and requires you to us a computer other than one that you have used to already log into for any CRA as the "cookies" will automatically prevent you from this type of "secret" access.

Go to the CRA website. Click on "file a new dispute" follow the instructions. This will bring up your current report. Print it out as you probably won't be able to save it. DO NOT FILE A NEW DISPUTE. When you are done exit the website and opt out again as you will have opted back in during this process.

(Whoever told you to settle the debt is mistaken. Once you have successfully disputed an account it can not legally be reinserted even under another CAs name. On the rare occasions when this does occur there is a program for that too.)

https://whychat.me/ltrcraredisp.html

Thanks Whychat! You’re amazing!

So one report has only the non medical collection to convergent CA left for $145. OC is dish network. The CA sent me an original bill from dish network and also another paper that I signed when the installer came years ago,  the account is only in my husbands name but it’s my signature, I’m not on the account at all. 

How would you suggest I handle this account? 

" The CA sent me an original bill from dish network and also another paper that I signed when the installer came years ago, " How many years ago??

If you have completely resolved your medical accounts on any or all CRA reports you can start on your non medical ones. I assume you have opted out and deleted old addresses if you are no longer at the address on the account. 

Use this;

https://whychat.me/SOL PROGRAM GUIDE.html

The non medical collection is recent, from Jan 2019. The original signature was in 2016. The bill is for unreturned equipment that was def returned, because they sent me prepaid shipping boxes but I now have no proof that I sent them back. 

This is the only negative left on one report. It appears on another report but that report also has a medical that I’m working on so I’m leaving that report alone for now. I just want to get as much done as soon as I can. 

I’ll check out the link. Thanks!

So after sending the initial dispute to the CRA both Equifax and Experian came back that the items were verified. The Equifax collection is medical unpaid, every time I dispute it the amount due raises by $1. Its $306 now, $305 last month. 

The experian is a paid medical medical collection that is listing as an open collection with $0 due. This is listed on TU as well as a closed paid collection, but I’ve yet to get a response from them. 

What do you suggest do now? The one with a balance due, back in May it was suggested to me to contact the original creditor to pay them and have them recall the debt from the CA and they refused to do that. 

Thanks in advance for any direction you can give me!!

Also don’t know if this is important but I’ve never received any sort of anything validation or otherwise from the Equifax medical collection with the $306 balance.

Are you following the HIPAA letter program??

https://whychat.me/GUIDEBOOK.html

https://whychat.me/GUIDE HIPAA PROGRAM.html

If you have opted out, deleted old addresses and sent the initial dispute letter to the CRAs

https://whychat.me/hipaadisp.html

And have not had the medical accounts deleted, then the next step is to send the CAs the appropriate medical DV

https://whychat.me/ltrcavalhipaa.html

for accounts reporting with a balance due

or

https://whychat.me/ltrcavalhipaa.html#PAID

for accounts reporting as paid collections

THEN- as soon as you have proof of receipt, send the CRAs the follow up dispute;

So, I’m following your steps. I just sent the letter to CA and it was returned for no such address and I sent it directly to the address on my report. I’m thinking that now I need to send the printout from usps that’s it’s undeliverable along with some kind of letter to the CRA? Is there some special wording that you would recommend?

Yes use the follow up dispute to the CRAs 

In the sentence regarding your medical DV use this;

I have disputed this unknown medical account with the reporting Collection Agent,( copy of returned envelope enclosed as proof that it was undeliverable ),as per your instructions in your response of xx/xx/xxxx to my dispute of xx/xx/xxxx and could have had no valid response.

Ok. Here’s where I’m at.

I have one medical collection left on Equifax. I’m all the way through the follow up letter to the CRA. CA did not respond at all to the letter I sent to them except to increase my balance due reported to Equifax by $1. 

Equifax essentially ignored my latest letter. I go zero response. 

Whats my next step? Should I proceed to step to pay the original creditor? It’s a dr office so there’s no hippaa compliance office. I’m contacted them months ago and wanted to pay them directly and they refused payment. Any input?

One last thing in my husbands reports is on Experian. A paid collection with an invalid address. I sent the CA letter and it was returned to me. I sent a copy of this returned letter along with the follow up letter to the CRA and received no response to it either. The invalid address is still listed on his report. Any input on what my next step should be with this one?

Ok. I will do that. At what point do I pay the original creditor for the one with a balance due?