Iamawriter

How to prevent collection agency reporting

Received a call from a collection agency about a bill that I "knew" was not mine.  Sent a letter to the CA who sent a copy of the bill.   Turns out the OC was  the local fire department for a first responder call.  I did not get a bill from the fire department.  Contacted the OC who told me they would not pull the file back from the CA but I can send them the payment and they will let the CA know.  Told me that they did not control any info sent to the credit bureaus.  What's the best way to ensure no reporting, or if the CA reports to make sure negative info is removed. Wondering if I should contact the OC again and get a manager instead of a "lead" billing agent.  Thanks!

The BEST way to try and preclude reporting is a very thorough and specific letter disputing the matter.  Generic cut-and-paste tripe tends to ensure the matter reports.  Specificity may not ALWAYS carry the day but it more often than not WILL accomplish the end goal...

After talking to the OC, the bill is mine from a fall I took in Home Depot when  the paramedics were called.    I was not previously aware of a bill.  When you say 'dispute" are you using the term loosely and mean to clearly define how I did not receive a bill from the fire department (the OC says they sent 1 or two invoices) and just now getting a copy of the bill from the CA?      I do not want ANYTHING negative on my report. Thanks in advance for your help.

2 hours ago, Sidewinder said:

"lama writer?"

: \

Tough call, but I'd say smart money is on ...

I am a writer

"A" for effort, though. ;)

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, Sidewinder said:

LAMA WRITER!!!!!!!

There’s a simple method to definitively prove it is “I am a writer,” but do I really have to prove you an idiot in the process?

Edited by PotO

23 hours ago, PotO said:

There’s a simple method to definitively prove it is “I am a writer,” but do I really have to prove you an idiot in the process?

Six years on CreditBoards, and PotO's never met Sidewinder...

22 minutes ago, Sidewinder said:

Six years on CreditBoards, and PotO's never met Sidewinder...

Never met George or Tophy either.