Jump to content

cashnocredit

Coscto CC, application fail

Recommended Posts

After spending a large chunk at Costco, I figured I should just overcome inertia and app for the Costco Visa. Stopped at the customer service counter which had handouts that only mentioned online/phone application. So, when I got home I went to the Costco site and found the surprisingly well hidden, CC application link. That's when the problems began.

 

Filled in the usual nonsense until it got to the member number. Pulled out my card and entered the 10 digits. Application said it was a 12 digit number. Looking closely at the card it appeared the first two digits had been worn away so I guessed and entered 00 since I've been a Costco member for over 3 decades and the leading, visible number was 1. It accepted the number.

 

Then I entered more stuff until it got to the address. No POBs allowed for the address. Ok, so I entered my physical address even though the USPO doesn't deliver to my physical address. Below that it had a check box for an "optional" POB. Great! So I entered my POB number.  Disallowed. Said my POB number had to be 5 digits long so I prefixed my 2 digit POB with 3 zeros.  It didn't like that either. When did POBs have to be 5 digits and why didn't it like mine? Were the 3 leading zeros a problem?  My 9 digit zip-plus code is just the 5 zip digits and 4 digit POB so there are only 2 leading zeros used there.

 

I quit.

 

I'm halfway curious whether applying by phone would work or whether the CSR would just ask the same questions and get the same problems entering the info.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An alternate card option for Costco purchases is BA Cash Rewards:  2% on groceries/wholesale clubs w/ $2500 quarterly purchase cap.

 

Card also has a 3% “name your category”;  we select “online purchase.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, hdporter said:

An alternate card option for Costco purchases is BA Cash Rewards:  2% on groceries/wholesale clubs w/ $2500 quarterly purchase cap.

 

Card also has a 3% “name your category”;  we select “online purchase.

That's one of the cards I've been thinking about for a while since there's a BA branch nearby and I've been thinking of opening a CD there*. Would bump up against the limit sometimes since we often exceed that in a quarter. OTOH, the 3% deal sounds pretty cool and I wasn't aware of it.

 

* I've avoided having anything to do with BofA ever since they suggested I might have made up a teller's scribble on a deposit after they misplaced the deposited check and my checks started bouncing. Found the check in a drawer where they put checks they couldn't figure out how to process. They actually let me rummage around in the drawer to find it. Hard to believe they did that - even back then,  OTOH, that was in the early 70's.

 

But, at this point, it's just an emotional reaction to being accused so I'm trying to get over it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the costco card but I rarely use it anymore.  I use my Chase FU which gets me 2.25% minimum at Costco, CSR for restaurants, and either Freedom 5 or Disco for gas when they are 5%.  Only use Costco gets is for gas when neither Chase nor Disco are 5%.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hdporter said:

An alternate card option for Costco purchases is BA Cash Rewards:  2% on groceries/wholesale clubs w/ $2500 quarterly purchase cap.

 

Card also has a 3% “name your category”;  we select “online purchase.

 

Plus and additional 75% bonus if you have $100k in BoA or ML account, turning it into 5.25%/3.5%.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

except for the 400k jewelry, I have found litte use of my costco membership. I rarely need 80 pounds on chicken breasts and the wine selection has gone downhill.

 

you're better off without the card.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, CTSoxFan said:

 

Plus and additional 75% bonus if you have $100k in BoA or ML account, turning it into 5.25%/3.5%.

Where did you see this? I just looked at the site and don't see anything re a 75% bonus? There is a $200 bonus for spending a certain amount in 3 months. Nothing special about 100K cd other than you get free checking and lower fees on various other items.

 

The other (main) problem is the BofA cash card is shown as a MC and Costco doesn't take MC.

Edited by cashnocredit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, hegemony said:

except for the 400k jewelry, I have found litte use of my costco membership. I rarely need 80 pounds on chicken breasts and the wine selection has gone downhill.

 

you're better off without the card.

I think the 2% cash back limit cuts in at less than 10% of the jewelry cost. Sort of kills the deal.

 

We load up on large bags of frozen peas, string beans, shrimp, etc. as well as assorted booze (JW Blue, Patron TQ, etc). Their Lobster Mac and Cheese is fantastic.  Lucky to get out of there for under $500 every 2 weeks and sometimes hit 1k or more..

 

But I go to Walmart for Spam. They have all the flavors one could want. Must be a lot of PI's shopping there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow 99 problems. :-)

 

Have you not signed up online on costco.com? You can look up your member number there if you did.

 

Reasons I have kept my Costco membership:

 

1. Required for my auto insurance from Ameriprise. Free towing for Executive members.

 

2. Good quality products that are not available elsewhere.

 

3. They treat their employees well and pay decent wages.

 

4. Even a worse Costco location is much better than the best Walmart location.

 

5. People complain about long lines at gas stations. I have found empty or short lines most times I pass by them.

 

6. No customer holding up checkout lines because they are paying by a check. :-)

 

I have the Citi Costco Anywhere card which does not see much use any more other than of Costco or costco.com purchases.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I think the 2% cash back limit cuts in at less than 10% of the jewelry cost. Sort of kills the deal.
 
We load up on large bags of frozen peas, string beans, shrimp, etc. as well as assorted booze (JW Blue, Patron TQ, etc). Their Lobster Mac and Cheese is fantastic.  Lucky to get out of there for under $500 every 2 weeks and sometimes hit 1k or more..
 
But I go to Walmart for Spam. They have all the flavors one could want. Must be a lot of PI's shopping there.


I hear their milk is very good quality and lasts a long time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Where did you see this? I just looked at the site and don't see anything re a 75% bonus? There is a $200 bonus for spending a certain amount in 3 months. Nothing special about 100K cd other than you get free checking and lower fees on various other items.
 
The other (main) problem is the BofA cash card is shown as a MC and Costco doesn't take MC.


https://www.bankofamerica.com/preferred-rewards/

They seemed to have converted it to an Mastercard. I have the older Visa version. You can get one of the World Wildlife or US pride cards which are Visa and have similar rewards.





Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, credit_help said:

Wow 99 problems. 🙂

 

Have you not signed up online on costco.com? You can look up your member number there if you did.

 

Reasons I have kept my Costco membership:

 

1. Required for my auto insurance from Ameriprise. Free towing for Executive members.

 

2. Good quality products that are not available elsewhere.

 

3. They treat their employees well and pay decent wages.

 

4. Even a worse Costco location is much better than the best Walmart location.

 

5. People complain about long lines at gas stations. I have found empty or short lines most times I pass by them.

 

6. No customer holding up checkout lines because they are paying by a check. 🙂

 

I have the Citi Costco Anywhere card which does not see much use any more other than of Costco or costco.com purchases.

 

 

 

Not to mention they extended the warranty on my refrigerator from 2 years to 4  - no additional charge. All for putting it on their Visa card.

 

It is good for some things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, credit_help said:

Wow 99 problems. :-)

 

Have you not signed up online on costco.com? You can look up your member number there if you did.

 

 

Thanks for that! I looked up my membership ID that way and found the leading numbers.

 

So I decided to apply by phone since it didn't like my POB. Very good CSR, who went through all the disclosure stuff. She took the POB w/o a problem unlike the online app but who knows what it does in their system.

 

No instant approval, but also no hard inqs showing up. Got the usual 7-10 days and they will contact if additional info needed. Perhaps it needs to be checked against Costco records. FICOs are 809-811 across the board.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, cashnocredit said:

Thanks for that! I looked up my membership ID that way and found the leading numbers.

 

So I decided to apply by phone since it didn't like my POB. Very good CSR, who went through all the disclosure stuff. She took the POB w/o a problem unlike the online app but who knows what it does in their system.

 

No instant approval, but also no hard inqs showing up. Got the usual 7-10 days and they will contact if additional info needed. Perhaps it needs to be checked against Costco records. FICOs are 809-811 across the board.

I applied online this past March. Got an almost immediate approval, but this was on a weekday. They did hard pulls on EQ and EX. My FICO scores are almost identical to yours. I would expect an approval tomorrow or Monday. I use mine mostly for gasoline, restaurants, and Costco warehouse and Costco online purchases. I had the same POB issue you had -- LOL. I just went with my residential address for the application and changed it to my POB after the first statement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, cashnocredit said:

Thanks for that! I looked up my membership ID that way and found the leading numbers.

 

So I decided to apply by phone since it didn't like my POB. Very good CSR, who went through all the disclosure stuff. She took the POB w/o a problem unlike the online app but who knows what it does in their system.

 

No instant approval, but also no hard inqs showing up. Got the usual 7-10 days and they will contact if additional info needed. Perhaps it needs to be checked against Costco records. FICOs are 809-811 across the board.

Good luck on the app, hope it works out.  I can't remember the last time I applied for a card over the phone (or via mail), but I would bet it is close to 20 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How did you get notification of an approval? I applied a week or so ago but didnt realize my experian was blocked. I had it unblocked and they pulled me.. Did you receive notification via email?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Burdell said:

I applied online this past March. Got an almost immediate approval, but this was on a weekday. They did hard pulls on EQ and EX. My FICO scores are almost identical to yours. I would expect an approval tomorrow or Monday. I use mine mostly for gasoline, restaurants, and Costco warehouse and Costco online purchases. I had the same POB issue you had -- LOL. I just went with my residential address for the application and changed it to my POB after the first statement.

Still no CRA pulls. My guess is that it got sent for some sort of manual review. Probably related to the POB issue and the fact that my residential address is not listed as an actual address in the USPO database. Over half the time ordering something online it won't let me complete the order because it says I have to enter a "legal" street address. They use that to make sure they have a place to mail stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, IvyMgmt said:

How did you get notification of an approval? I applied a week or so ago but didnt realize my experian was blocked. I had it unblocked and they pulled me.. Did you receive notification via email?

I got an email message within about 30 minutes of submitting my online application, and then a follow-up letter in the mail. The credit card actually beat the official approval letter to my mailbox.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cashnocredit said:

Still no CRA pulls. My guess is that it got sent for some sort of manual review. Probably related to the POB issue and the fact that my residential address is not listed as an actual address in the USPO database. Over half the time ordering something online it won't let me complete the order because it says I have to enter a "legal" street address. They use that to make sure they have a place to mail stuff.

I bet you're right.  Do you know if your POB is listed in your credit reports?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Burdell said:

I bet you're right.  Do you know if your POB is listed in your credit reports?

Yes, my POB is the primary address in each of them. But Citi has not yet pulled credit so I'm guessing the physical addy not being in the USPO database of street addresses kicked it for manual review before a pull. So I expect a hard pull Monday.

 

I did get an email confirming the application.

Edited by cashnocredit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks like they changed the wording. It used to be 4% cash back on gas the first  year, and 1% thereafter, which made the card pretty meh for me. Now, however, it says 4% on the first $7000 per year, and 1% thereafter. If that's the case, I may need to pull the trigger. I buy a lot at Costco. Clothes, electronics, food, etc. Buying tires there just once more than pays for the membership.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
It looks like they changed the wording. It used to be 4% cash back on gas the first  year, and 1% thereafter, which made the card pretty meh for me. Now, however, it says 4% on the first $7000 per year, and 1% thereafter. If that's the case, I may need to pull the trigger. I buy a lot at Costco. Clothes, electronics, food, etc. Buying tires there just once more than pays for the membership.


Are tires at Costco cheaper than at Discount Auto?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, credit_help said:

 


Are tires at Costco cheaper than at Discount Auto?

 

If you buy them at the right time, I believe so. I buy Michelin, and if you time it right, you get $70 off the set plus free or one-cent install. Combine that with their free rotations and 5 years of road hazard, I think they're much cheaper. Not having to pay for repairs or patches is so nice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, credit_help said:

 


Are tires at Costco cheaper than at Discount Auto?

I wouldn't let discount tyre check the air pressure in my bicycle tyre.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
If you buy them at the right time, I believe so. I buy Michelin, and if you time it right, you get $70 off the set plus free or one-cent install. Combine that with their free rotations and 5 years of road hazard, I think they're much cheaper. Not having to pay for repairs or patches is so nice.


Thanks Dr. Frost. Some prefer Discount Tire for free tire rotations. I did not have to buy new tires in a long time. If I have to, it will be set of four due to AWD. I will compare Direct Tire, Tire Rack, and Costco.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Today's Birthdays

  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      176,892
    • Most Online
      1,528

    Newest Member
    ZarychFirm
    Joined

About Us

Since 2003, creditboards.com has helped thousands of people repair their credit, force abusive collection agents to follow the law, ensure proper reporting by credit reporting agencies, and provided financial education to help avoid the pitfalls that can lead to negative tradelines.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Guidelines