Sign in to follow this  
Sidewinder

Graphing calculators: TI vs Hewlett Packard

Which one?

Seems like the TI ones are on all the shelves; don't recall seeing an HP one for sale even at electronics stores (the TI ones seem to be for sale even at drugstores : / )

However, HP makes one that has an infrared yes INFRARED port.  I remember when infrared ports on laptops first came out in the 1990's, and on "PalmPilots" (heh) and believing it to be the shiz.  In fact I miss infraredding things from device to device, so that make me want the HP one.

Except I'm not sure what the heck device it would transmit infrared stuff to, or quite what the content would be.  : /

TI are everywhere because that is what the schools have been using forever.  I remember using the TI-82 and 83 in school.  My son uses an 84 plus.  All the textbooks are setup for TI.

The HP are probably just as good.  They could be better.  You just don't hear much about any other brand since TI somehow managed to take over the graphing calculator industry by getting in with the schools.

The IR port is nice if you have something to transfer it to and need that ability.  I guess you could print to an IR printer but what would you need to print from your calculator?  I remember connecting our TI calculators with a cable and transferring stupid games and "study" sheets.

3 hours ago, IndyPoolPlayer said:

The fun part about owning an HP graphing calculator is handing it to someone who doesn't understand RPN and see if they can use it.

I've always loved RPN. Pretty much a thing of the past though.