Sign in to follow this  
hegemony

He wanted out of his timeshares — he never predicted the nightmare ahead

"Branson, Missouri is the only thing that could make me feel sorry for Tony Orlando."

-- I don't recall

2 hours ago, PotO said:

What kind of two-bit, trigger-pumping moron buys a timeshare?  

Some people just deserve to get FITA.

To make it worse, he bought 3 of them!!!  He was a supposed "fraud investigator", yet he couldn't see through the lines of BS these companies pitch (both the TS companies and the offloaders)?

I went to one of these a few years back at the new Hyatt TS in Maui.  Got a beautiful 2 BR condo for 6 nights for under $1k and 10K Hyatt points.  Had to waste 90 minutes listening to their BS.  I will say I can see how they sucker people to sign up for these things as they were trying to be quite persuasive and had their "go-to" lines for any objections you present.

43 minutes ago, CTSoxFan said:

To make it worse, he bought 3 of them!!!  He was a supposed "fraud investigator", yet he couldn't see through the lines of BS these companies pitch (both the TS companies and the offloaders)?

I went to one of these a few years back at the new Hyatt TS in Maui.  Got a beautiful 2 BR condo for 6 nights for under $1k and 10K Hyatt points.  Had to waste 90 minutes listening to their BS.  I will say I can see how they sucker people to sign up for these things as they were trying to be quite persuasive and had their "go-to" lines for any objections you present.

I've been to a dozen of these time share presentations in Vegas and each time the end result is I get the free 24 hr. buffet for myself and 4 others and they get FITA.  

They do try to sucker people in and they can be hard to resist -- they are smooth liars.  But in the end I tell them I need to check with the Mrs.  They usually will say something about if I'm the leader of the house she will follow, but I always tell them ...

"Huh???  Are you fooking crazy????  My wife is Chinese and she is #1 very damned good at math and #2 even better with sharp knives."  

They shut up and leave me with my buffet passes.  

4 hours ago, PotO said:

I've been to a dozen of these time share presentations in Vegas and each time the end result is I get the free 24 hr. buffet for myself and 4 others and they get FITA.  

They do try to sucker people in and they can be hard to resist -- they are smooth liars.  But in the end I tell them I need to check with the Mrs.  They usually will say something about if I'm the leader of the house she will follow, but I always tell them ...

"Huh???  Are you fooking crazy????  My wife is Chinese and she is #1 very damned good at math and #2 even better with sharp knives."  

They shut up and leave me with my buffet passes.  

The one I went to in Maui specifically stated that both me and my wife had to attend (if married), otherwise we wouldn't get credit for attending the presentation and charged back blah, blah, blah.  Not sure what lengths they would go to in order to verify, but would obviously prevent the "check with Mrs. excuse".

It's been awhile since I've sat thru a timeshare presentation. Maybe next time I'm in Myrtle Beach, I'll sit thru one just to FITA. Maybe I can find one offering a free night and leave them some gideons fudge.

On 6/13/2019 at 7:05 AM, cv91915 said:

"Branson, Missouri is the only thing that could make me feel sorry for Tony Orlando."

-- I don't recall

if I never go to Branson it will be too soon.

The timeshares take you, then these timeshare exit companies take you again.

My advice is to not get involved in these things.  If you like to vacation in a specific area, just stay at a hotel when visiting. No worries.

These seminars sucker people in to buy every time. I haven't been to a timeshare sales presentation in a while but went to one at Cal State Northridge on house flipping a few months ago. I couldn't believe how many people lined up at the breaks to give them $1,000 to sign-up for the "opportunity of a lifetime."

On 6/14/2019 at 7:51 AM, CTSoxFan said:

Sat through one for what is now the Elara (was the PH Westgate) in Vegas some years back solely to get the $200-300 in match play chips being offered.  They kept trying to go down the track of "so how often do you come to Las Vegas?" After I said several times a year, they tried to point out how much that must be costing me.  The notion of multiple comped nights (which were plentiful in that pre-2008 era even for poker players) just baffled them...