kevinwill

Vanishing Student Loan?

I am flummoxed by something.....I have a credit score around 650 and rising....but I have an old federal student loan out there, and it's decades old....from the late 1990s....it does not show up on my credit report anymore. I do fear it'll rear its head during the home loan process as my wife and I prepare to purchase a home.  That said, I have had my CAIVRS report pulled twice and the loan does not show up on that either.  So.....am I in the clear?  Has the loan somehow just disappeared?  Well, no, it has not because when I go into the federal student loan database to look up my loan, I can pull it up.  But it does not come up in CAIVRS.  Is it possible the loan just wasn't reported to CAIVRS?  Has anyone heard of this? I am just trying to be proactive and head off a problem, on the other hand if letting sleeping dogs lie is the best, I am  fine with that too.....

Hi @kevinwill  

I found some info about this and posted it on my thread here: 

It looks like there actually is an incentive to rehab and pay those old student loans even if they have “vanished”. If they are rehabbed and reported as a positive tradeline with the original dates, that may add to your credit age and build longer term positive history to your credit reports. Could improve your credit reports and scores.