Melanie1978

Starting over and would like to purchase a new house in new state.

I came here about 15 years ago to get help buying my first home. I fixed my credit and my husband at the time and we got into our first home in Texas. We had issues and eventually divorced. I had the loan modified and managed to keep it, ofcourse the long process of modification left me with a lot of lates. 

I moved to California three years ago due to the better salaries for teachers. My quality of life and finances are MUCH better. I was able to make repairs to the Texas house and am renting it out now. 

I am looking to buy a house in California in the next two years. How will my Texas mortgage affect me? I want to keep it and yes it has equity. I am not interested in selling because it’s my safety net. 

I do not have much credit only about $3,000, a car loan (nearly done) and consolidated student loans. 

Bump

I believe the mortgage payment on the rental home would count against your DTI, and if you've been renting the house out for a while you can use some/most/all of the rent as income.

Verify this with someone else.  :)

CV is correct, the payment will definitely count against your DTI.  From what I recall, and through quick research you are able to use 75% of the rental income towards qualifying for the new home.  This will be based on the actual income (if you have 2 years of history via tax returns) or market value.  It seems that some lenders require the 2 years before it will count.  The best bet is to speak with your mortgage broker or bank upfront and ask, as it seems this can vary.

Thank you to you both. In two years I will have two years of rental income that I will be able to verify and document with tax returns. I will be looking for a broker or bank to speak to in order to get everything in order. 

43 minutes ago, Melanie1978 said:

Thank you to you both. In two years I will have two years of rental income that I will be able to verify and document with tax returns. I will be looking for a broker or bank to speak to in order to get everything in order. 

I've had 100% great experiences with the mortgage companies I've found on Zillow Mortgage Rates.  

3 of the last 4 real estate finance transactions were done with companies I found there.  

Third Federal has an outstanding ARM products and they lend in most states.  That was the 4th of the 4 transactions mentioned above.

Since OP is a teacher in California is there a program like Homes for Teachers or something like that which would put her in a home relatively inexpensively?

On 6/7/2019 at 7:53 PM, Melanie1978 said:

Save like crazy for a down payment and a sizable emergency fund.

Off the top of my head, the last ~12 months have brought us the following joys of home ownership: 

- Furnace repair ($400)

- New refrigerator ($1,200)

- New HVAC system ($10,000)*

- New water heater ($1,300)*

* HVAC system and water heater died about two weeks apart.