hegemony

UnionPay set to issue debit and credit cards in Europe

NO Thanks! I would never trust the ChiComm's with my info....

The state-controlled Chinese firm teamed up with Tribe Payments, a UK-based back-office technology start-up.

This partnership also allows banks to offer branded cards to customers.

China UnionPay has issued more than six billion cards in China.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Rogue said:

NO Thanks! I would never trust the ChiComm's with my info....

The state-controlled Chinese firm teamed up with Tribe Payments, a UK-based back-office technology start-up.

This partnership also allows banks to offer branded cards to customers.

China UnionPay has issued more than six billion cards in China.

Somehow I don't think UnionPay has issued six billion cards in China, unless they're counting every replacement for expired/lost/stolen cards since the beginning.  If it's truly six billion, each man, woman and child in China would be carrying, on average, 4.28 UnionPay cards.  

My U.S. ICBC UnionPay card usually works, but when I tried using it a quick serve restaurant that takes Discover this past weekend where I live (Los Angeles area) their card reader did not accept it after several attempts of inserting the chip and swiping.  It worked fine next store at Starbucks.  I think every time I've inserted the card in the chip reader, the reader has told me to swipe instead.  It always happens so I have swiped first, but that doesn't work until I insert the card in the chip reader, for the reader to first know it can't accept the chip.

Edited by Burgerwars

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Burgerwars said:

Somehow I don't think UnionPay has issued six billion cards in China, unless they're counting every replacement for expired/lost/stolen cards since the beginning.  If it's truly six billion, each man, woman and child in China would be carrying, on average, 4.28 UnionPay cards.  

My U.S. ICBC UnionPay card usually works, but when I tried using it a quick serve restaurant that takes Discover this past weekend where I live (Los Angeles area) their card reader did not accept it after several attempts of inserting the chip and swiping.  It worked fine next store at Starbucks.  I think every time I've inserted the card in the chip reader, the reader has told me to swipe instead.  It always happens so I have swiped first, but that doesn't work until I insert the card in the chip reader, for the reader to first know it can't accept the chip.

I would be exceptionally surprised if anybody above the age of 21 didn't have at least 10 UnionPay cards in China.  

1.   One debit card from bank closest to your home;

2.  Debit card from bank where your company deposits your salary;

3.  At least one -- if not more -- debit cards from accounts at other banks;

4.  UnionPay card for your mortgage account;

5.  UnionPay card for your driver license;

6.  UnionPay card for your medical social insurance benefits;

7.  UnionPay card connected to your mandatory housing fund through your employer;

8.  Two or three credit cards (in my case, 30);

9.  UnionPay card for your property mandatory maintenance account;

... and others.

If anything, 6 billion is a conservative number.

Edited by PotO

1 hour ago, PotO said:

I would be exceptionally surprised if anybody above the age of 21 didn't have at least 10 UnionPay cards in China.  

1.   One debit card from bank closest to your home;

2.  Debit card from bank where your company deposits your salary;

3.  At least one -- if not more -- debit cards from accounts at other banks;

4.  UnionPay card for your mortgage account;

5.  UnionPay card for your driver license;

6.  UnionPay card for your medical social insurance benefits;

7.  UnionPay card connected to your mandatory housing fund through your employer;

8.  Two or three credit cards (in my case, 30);

9.  UnionPay card for your property mandatory maintenance account;

... and others.

If anything, 6 billion is a conservative number.

You have 30 UnionPay credit cards?  That must be the record.

I have a large amount of various MasterCards and Visas, but only one UnionPay.  😕

46 minutes ago, Burgerwars said:

You have 30 UnionPay credit cards?  That must be the record.

I have a large amount of various MasterCards and Visas, but only one UnionPay.  😕

Yeah, 30 issued directly by banks in China.  These are almost all dual branded UnionPay & Visa / MasterCard / American Express / JCB.  Almost each one was an adventure.  While there are probably a few Chinese that have as many, if not more, amongst expats there isn't a single one that even comes remotely close.  

1 UnionPay issued by a Chinese bank in the US.  

8 hours ago, PotO said:

Yeah, 30 issued directly by banks in China.  These are almost all dual branded UnionPay & Visa / MasterCard / American Express / JCB.  Almost each one was an adventure.  While there are probably a few Chinese that have as many, if not more, amongst expats there isn't a single one that even comes remotely close.  

1 UnionPay issued by a Chinese bank in the US.  

I think this calls for a new subcategory.

Assuming even modest limits on most of those cards, you are a CW at a single bank!

2 hours ago, Occam said:

I think this calls for a new subcategory.

Assuming even modest limits on most of those cards, you are a CW at a single bank!

I wish it were at a single bank, but it's across 20 different throughout China.  

But I suppose I am an International CW.  First US and then China.