Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

CAgency hit my credit score 100 points for a debt that is about 2 years old. Help?

So, I am so lost right now. Before this problem, I paid most of my debt off on time and had an 800+ credit score. After this, my credit score is now about 700 points. I'm scared and tired with everything going on in my life.

Basically, I have tried reading through these threads and still am not sure what to do.

The situation is I had a medical procedure done about two years ago and had insurance. I got a bill from the company for about $600 dollars. After 30 days, they sold it to a collections agency. This is when I started noticing I even had the debt.

I contacted my insurance to ask them if this bill was correct. It turned out it was not and they told the collections agency it was wrong and I should be billed $300. They send something to the collection agency and then the collection agency agreed to drop the amount to $300 something. But in the process, they hit my credit score with the 100 pointer mentioned above.

At this point, I have only been in contact with the insurance company. I have NOT called the debt collector or answered phone calls. I asked them repeatedly (via the insurance company) to send me a bill. They can't because they have my old address and won't update it unless I call.  They can only send it to the old address I guess (and may have been doing that for all I know, I do not know and have no way to know that).

Anyways, at this point, all I care about is getting that nasty thing off my credit report. I'm willing to pay anything to make it go away.

What should I do at this point with the above information? I am so stressed I can't think straight anymore. If I missed something on this board, I apologize. I am not thinking straight with all the stress going on in my life.

I would appreciate it if someone can help let me know what exactly I should be doing to make the credit report issue go away and make this all stop and go away. Thank you for any help.

What you are likely experiencing is the "poisoning" of your reports by a JDB (junk debt buyer) who accessed your account information because you were not opted out prior to applying for a mortgage or other loan. 

Follow the guides;

https://whychat.me/GUIDEBOOK.html

https://whychat.me/GUIDE HIPAA PROGRAM.html

Send each CRA the initial dispute letter listing ALL medical accounts as they appear on the report you are disputing.

https://whychat.me/hipaadisp.html

You should NOT under ANY circumstance pay anyone anything unless and until you have completed the program and are able to determine if the collection is valid. Try to get your EOMBs ( explanation of medical benefits) from your insurance Co. for the alleged date of medical service.

Come back to this post for further assistance

MOST medical billing is NOT handled by the professional.  Almost every doctor's office out there now will use an AR service so that they get paid in a timely manner.  This is NOT the same as defaulted debt that gets sold off in the credit card arena.  However, this situation is complicated by the OP having admitted to receiving a bill and doing nothing with it. 

There is precisely no reason not to call to give them a correct address.  The refusal to do so demonstrates to everyone in the equation, to include potential judicial review down the road, that there was not a good-faith effort being advanced to resolve the matter.  It also makes no sense to not have simply gone in to the doctor's office with the correspondence from the insurance carrier and a check for what the insurance carrier says is due.  But then again, I am a firm believer in resolving matters in as expeditious a manner as possible...

"Centex" would be correct IF the account were being handled by the OC's original billing department. However, it is obviously NOT. To contact a CA for a medical account in order to provide them with a correct address is counterproductive. Sometimes being "expeditious" just makes things worse. HASTE MAKES WASTE!!

I do NOT advise you to follow "creditrepair2019" s advise.

It would drastically interfere with the HIPAA program.

Well intended advise from a "newcomer" to this forum should be carefully considered especially if it contradicts advise from more experienced forum members. 

It is easy to check the validity and value of posted advice on this or any other forum on Creditboards by looking to see how many posts they have had.

On 6/5/2019 at 1:21 PM, Why Chat said:

"Centex" would be correct IF the account were being handled by the OC's original billing department. However, it is obviously NOT. To contact a CA for a medical account in order to provide them with a correct address is counterproductive. Sometimes being "expeditious" just makes things worse. HASTE MAKES WASTE!!

I'm not sure what part of the AR process you don't grasp.  VERY FEW medical professionals keep billings in-house after the appointment has occurred and the submission to insurance took place.  After that, it gets farmed out.  The fact that this is common-place does NOT mean the patient who owes a medical bill is dealing with a third-party in the same vein as the ones that collect from defaulted debt. 

I believe in efficient handling and resolution of matters, especially when it comes to the practitioner that I will still have to have an ongoing relationship with for future medical needs.  I cannot fathom engaging in intentional delays in resolving the matter.  But then again, I don't try and avoid paying what I owe to a medical professional and I understand billing practices in the current era necessarily involve farming the receivables out for collection of said amount...

@Why Chat, thanks for your advice and I will ignore the other negative poster in this thread like you advise. To the other person negatively bashing me. I have had over 800+ credit rating before this experience for years. I pay my bills on time. So save your judgement.

@Why Chat so, I have had serious life issues (not credit related and I will save the details. But I have had a lot of personal trauma in my life that superseded this) that caused me to not deal with this and now I am ready to address it.

I re-read your guide. Is this still accurate today? I took the first step which is to opt out of pre-screen via that website.

Would the next step be now to send the "INITIAL HIPAA DISPUTE LETTER" to each CRA? It appears just print that out three times and send it to the three different CRAs (I believe there are three)? Is there a specific address I should send them too?

Also, I understand to print out that letter AND write in blue ink. The one thing I am confused about on the letter is what is the "Report #" and what is the "Account Number" for? Where do I find that information?

Sorry if these are stupid questions. I am trying to get my life back in order and just want to make sure I don't make more stupid decisions that lead to more issues.

I appreciate you taking the time to help on here.

Edited by jdjd023

15 hours ago, jdjd023 said:

@Why Chat, thanks for your advice and I will ignore the other negative poster in this thread like you advise. To the other person negatively bashing me. I have had over 800+ credit rating before this experience for years. I pay my bills on time. So save your judgement.

@Why Chat so, I have had serious life issues (not credit related and I will save the details. But I have had a lot of personal trauma in my life that superseded this) that caused me to not deal with this and now I am ready to address it.

I re-read your guide. Is this still accurate today? I took the first step which is to opt out of pre-screen via that website.

The initial guide asks you to opt out and delete old addresses IF you have moved since the date of the medical visits that are the subject of the derogatory account.Assuming,of course that you have obtained your  3 credit reports (preferably paper by mail) you need those for the initial disputehttps://whychat.me/GUIDEBOOK.html 

Would the next step be now to send the "INITIAL HIPAA DISPUTE LETTER" to each CRA? It appears just print that out three times and send it to the three different CRAs (I believe there are three)? Is there a specific address I should send them too? Not quite-- each letter to each CA  should refer to the accounts they are reporting to each CRA for example-if you have account #1,2&3 from 3 CAs reporting  to Ex  you would send Ex a letter referencing all 3 accounts in one letter with a copy of your Ex report and the accounts circled in red

Also, I understand to print out that letter AND write in blue ink. The one thing I am confused about on the letter is what is the "Report #" and what is the "Account Number" for? Where do I find that information? The report # will be on each REAL report you get from each CRA the account #will be on each account on your reports

Sorry if these are stupid questions. I am trying to get my life back in order and just want to make sure I don't make more stupid decisions that lead to more issues. The only "stupid" questions are those that do NOT get asked

I appreciate you taking the time to help on here.

Here is the initial dispute letter

https://whychat.me/hipaadisp.html

Here is the link to the multiple account dispute form;

https://whychat.me/Credit Report Dispute Form MULTIPLE.pdf

If you have a color printer you can print it as is and adjust the spacing and items as needed. You can write in BLUE ball point the information.

OR you can do the whole thing in word printed on blue paper in dark blue italic or handwriting font. 

The reason for the above instructions are to help prevent the CRAs from automating their response as their "reader programs" can't scan blue on blue easily and your letter would have to be sent to a live human being Stateside for processing.

The mailing instructions are to prevent the allowed sidetracking of any mail that must be signed for to a department that deals with NON CONSUMER disputes such as lawyers and CROs

@Why Chat , so I have a very confusing situation now after following step 1 of pulling credit report. I have a FICO Score available from my bank. It says I am at 730 and one reason is because of "Derogatory public record or collections filed". This drop from 800s to 700s happened around the time this whole thing that prompted this post (the medical debt). Yet, I pulled my records for 2 of the 3 creditors today (I have to mail in records for the third creditor) and I see nothing about a Collections against my account. 

To add more questions to this, the FICO Score my bank gets is based on Equifax data according to them. Well, I made sure to go over in detail that report from Equifax. It says in summary 0 Collections found in the beginning and also I see nothing about collections anywhere in the report.

So...now I am super confused. Granted, I pulled this report on 1/1/2020...and the score was updated on the banks site on 12/05/2019. I doubt the report was removed randomly this month, right?

Another thing I noticed is I haven't received any calls on this issue in a few months either. Overall, I'm just confused. Why is my credit score dinged and notes say it is related to "derogatory public record or collections filed", yet I see no collections on my credit report.

Can someone help me? I literally don't know how to challenge this report as I can't even find a collection on the report to challenge?

Posted (edited)

Check all your reports carefully for errors or discrepancies.Look at the INQUIRIES as well as the accounts. Check the data on your accounts against prior reports for late payments etc. It is not just collection accounts that could hurt your scores it could be a change in other data. What do your reports tell you about your scores?? They should indicate things like debt ratio. Also it is possible that one or more good accounts have aged off your reports.  

Is it possible that your new report reflects your dispute of the collection account and/or address deletions??

Edited by Why Chat

if you have an open FCRA dispute, ignore FICO scores as the tradeline(s) in dispute are suppressed from scoring during the dispute.