Sign in to follow this  
dolphindan1

Doctor bill from college, baseball injury, put on my sons credit report

My son in college, playing baseball was injured and sent for an MRI. They used my insurance information. I never received a bill. I was expecting the school to cover the bill since the baseball coach and AD sent him for the MRI. Anyway, we recently pulled his credit file and its showing as a collection on his reports. I disputed as "not mine" but it came back as confirmed.

How do I proceed????  contact the school 1st? Why Chat do I just follow your procedure?

What was the date of the medical service??

Is it on your son's reports or yours??

Check with your insurance and see if there is a record of them having been billed for this and if so what the EOMB (explanation of medical benefits) shows.

If it IS on his report and NOT on yours it means the OC MRI provider never received your insurance information.

Have your son follow the guides;

https://whychat.me/GUIDEBOOK.html

https://whychat.me/GUIDE HIPAA PROGRAM.html

Have him send the initial dispute letter to the CRAs

https://whychat.me/hipaadisp.html

Depending on the answers to the above questions and results of the actions actions we will be better able to give further advice

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Why Chat said:

What was the date of the medical service??

Is it on your son's reports or yours??

Check with your insurance and see if there is a record of them having been billed for this and if so what the EOMB (explanation of medical benefits) shows.

If it IS on his report and NOT on yours it means the OC MRI provider never received your insurance information.

Have your son follow the guides;

https://whychat.me/GUIDEBOOK.html

https://whychat.me/GUIDE HIPAA PROGRAM.html

Have him send the initial dispute letter to the CRAs

https://whychat.me/hipaadisp.html

Depending on the answers to the above questions and results of the actions actions we will be better able to give further advice

It was put on his credit report....date of 1st Delinquency is 2/2018...I remember it was before his JR season so that's about the time of service...I will have to research the EOB...I think I can log in and check...I do have an EOB for the date of service as 2/1/2019

Edited by dolphindan1

If you have an EOB for a date of service of 2/1/2019. Does it appear to be for the SAME service that is showing on his reports? It is POSSIBLE that there was a delayed billing to the insurance. 

5 hours ago, Why Chat said:

If you have an EOB for a date of service of 2/1/2019. Does it appear to be for the SAME service that is showing on his reports? It is POSSIBLE that there was a delayed billing to the insurance. 

yes it appears so

OK, now we are getting somewhere!! 

If the EOB is for the same service what does it show was billed, ? allowed? paid? and what if anything was left as patient responsibility.

Once you have a response from the CRAs to the initial dispute letter you can use THAT EOB in any necessary further reply to either the OC or the CA.  

The reference to disputing as 'not mine' suggests this was done as an online dispute.  NEVER attempt a dispute of a substantive matter using online checkbox forms just as no generic letter should ever be mailed out.

With the reference to college baseball, what conversations have been had with the Athletic Director for the school?  If this was an injury sustained in program-related activities, then the school absolutely should be in the mix here.  Now, this won't be applicable if this is a situation where he was in college and was just playing some manner of recreational ball as opposed to actually being ON the school team. 

Where WAS the bill sent?  If it went to son, then it will ALSO be a good time to discuss fiscal responsibilities with him as a bill should never be ignored.  Sadly, many college students don't take such matters seriously...until it is too late to have properly addressed something.

On 6/2/2019 at 6:48 PM, dolphindan1 said:

My son in college, playing baseball was injured and sent for an MRI. They used my insurance information. I never received a bill. I was expecting the school to cover the bill since the baseball coach and AD sent him for the MRI. Anyway, we recently pulled his credit file and its showing as a collection on his reports. I disputed as "not mine" but it came back as confirmed.

How do I proceed????  contact the school 1st? Why Chat do I just follow your procedure?

I don't understand why you expect the school to pay for your son's medical treatment.

6 hours ago, cv91915 said:

I don't understand why you expect the school to pay for your son's medical treatment.

This was actually why I was trying to get the OP to indicate whether this was a rec ball injury or whether the kid was on the college team...makes a world of difference.  Where a player FOR the school is injured, the program (and, hence, the school) carries some degree of responsibility for the medical care.  This is why the AD would be in the picture if the issue were properly managed...

"If you have an EOB for a date of service of 2/1/2019. Does it appear to be for the SAME service that is showing on his reports? It is POSSIBLE that there was a delayed billing to the insurance." 

"yes it appears so"

Does this EOB show what was billed, what was paid and how much was left as patient responsibility.
If you have an amount that appears to be the correct amount due and you have not received a response from your dispute ( or haven't even started the program) please let us know and we will tell you a quick way to resolve the problem.