Sign in to follow this  
hegemony

This 34-year-old just hit over 10 million credit card points. Here’s how he does it

To me, the article can be summed up with:

1) having the ability to spend tons of money

2) having rich friends who allow you to do their spending

3) having a business with a lot of expenses

13 hours ago, pronto said:

To me, the article can be summed up with:

1) having the ability to spend tons of money

2) having rich friends who allow you to do their spending

3) having a business with a lot of expenses

Except that it does not take tons of money or having rich friends to accomplish a large points accumulation.  There are MANY routine expenses that can be placed on credit cards and a points whore will absolutely be able to maximize that routine spending.  Admittedly, I read some of those articles and think about points I have left on the table through the years, but there are still a lot of points sitting in various accounts...

You don't even need to have a business to rack up the points. 

Points are a depreciating asset.  When is the last time you saw a points or miles program become more lucrative?  Now compare that to how many devaluations we have seen over the past 5-10 years.  Holding on to them past the point of where you can maximize the redemption makes no sense.  I would have bet he could've gotten at least 25% more value from those points had he been spending them more frequently rather than hording them.

Even without M$ it is easy to rack up points through everyday spending combined with a couple of good signup bonuses.  For example, I pretty much wiped out all my points/miles at the end of 2017 for my 2 week trip to Europe last year.  18 months later and I already have another ~400K URs (plus some cash back), and that is with almost no business related travel reimbursements (less than $1,000 total spend), etc. nor any signup bonuses, just maximizing my everyday spending as best possible.

Sign in to follow this  

About Us

Since 2003, creditboards.com has helped thousands of people repair their credit, force abusive collection agents to follow the law, ensure proper reporting by credit reporting agencies, and provided financial education to help avoid the pitfalls that can lead to negative tradelines.

Important Information

Guidelines