Sign in to follow this  
jmf8756

Incorrect Reporting

Our mortgage company is reporting a payment as being 30 days or more late but it wasn’t. It was late that month but nowhere near 30 days late. I’ve tried writing the mortgage company and disputing it with all three bureaus and they won’t fix it. What else can I do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

what means did you employ for the CRA disputes?

what was the due date? what was the grace period? what day did your payment post? was the next payment paid on time?

I disputed it online with the bureaus and sent an email to the customer service department at the mortgage company. It’s due the 1st and I paid the 28th. Completely forgot it because I was off from work after surgery. March, April and May have all been paid on time.

you paid on the 28th or it recorded as posted on the 28th? this may be a case where the servicer's computer is not adjusting for February's length. stranger things have happened.

What time on the 28th and was it a Friday? Many companies will communicate that any payments after xx time will be posted the next day.

Also how did you pay on the 28th?

I’m not sure what time but I paid online and it was an ACH. Even if it didn’t post until 3/1 on their end it’s still not 30 days late.

you paid on the 28th or it recorded as posted on the 28th? this may be a case where the servicer's computer is not adjusting for February's length. stranger things have happened.

So if it’s an error on them not accounting for the short month and if they didn’t process it until the next day shouldn’t they still remove it because 3/1 is still only 28 days late.

Yes. I have proof. They send a confirmation anytime you make an online payment and I have my bank statement. And the next months mortgage statement.

What date does the statement show it was applied?

If you pushed it from your bank it may have taken a day or two to get to the mortgage company depending on how they send the funds.

I am not saying you are wrong just need full picture.

Another consideration is whether there was a late fee,  If so, was THAT paid in a timely manner? 

In other words, if the payment was late and had a $30 late fee but the fee was never paid, then you never paid the next payment in full in time and the account is correctly reported as being past due.  It lends to a series of rolling lates even though it is just a few dollars.  

Additionally, as others noted, payments are not always posted the day you do an online entry.  If there is a push (or even a pull), it may not be instant.  Many people have tried to claim a payment being made on time because they went online on a Friday at 5:01PM despite the fact that a cutoff may have been 5:00PM.  In that instance, the bank being used likely never even processes the payment until the following Monday and it would likely be Tuesday before the entity to receive the funds would have received the funds (at the earliest). 

I paid it online at the mortgage company’s website on 2/28, including the late fee for not paying by the 15th. It looks like they applied it on 3/1. But that’s still not 30 days.

and what did the services day when you asked about the number of days?

and what did the services day when you asked about the number of days?

They haven’t responded to that inquiry yet.

I would call and talk to them. Despite what your OP says I think you already know you were playing on a razor sharp edge paying that late, and you were very close to 30 days late.

ETA: it may be because as if 3/1 you owed 2 payments(Feb and March). But I would call and talk to them.

at least some of us tried to help. OP, ignore the bully.

I thought this was where people could come to learn and ask for help. If we were all perfect there wouldn’t be a need for this board.

Perhaps I can shed some light on this topic.  This is for information only, and I am not going to argue the semantics on the actual number of days late the payment posted.

When you look at a data subscriber version of your credit file, the first column that shows lates has a heading (0-30) days, which is appropriate from the furnisher point of view.  I'm not making a judgment here, just providing some information that might be helpful.

Perhaps I can shed some light on this topic.  This is for information only, and I am not going to argue the semantics on the actual number of days late the payment posted.

When you look at a data subscriber version of your credit file, the first column that shows lates has a heading (0-30) days, which is appropriate from the furnisher point of view.  I'm not making a judgment here, just providing some information that might be helpful.

It’s reporting 30-59 days late. So I’m still confused.

This year the 28th was on a Friday, which may affect posting time.   What time of the day did you pay online?