hegemony

NEW FINTECH DEGREE PROGRAM!!!!!!

Nice.  Another useless degree that qualifies one for abject failure.  

I don't see it as useless. Finance is evolving and changing. That background in technology is more necessary as years go by. It's not just about debits and credits, yield curves and all the foundations that finance used to be. Bots and blockchain and here today, and will be more traditional in coming months/years. Even on the consumer side, robo-advising is becoming a more common, cheaper (and in some cases, better) alternative to traditional advising. Times are changing and it's good that degrees are staying with the times.

At least it'll prepare students for more than flipping burgers, which can't be said about most degrees in the humanities.

No question that more tech qualification is needed on the job.  The question is whether an undergraduate degree is the proper venue for it.  A strong finance degree will already teach the necessary underlying analytic skills.  

Much of the described added course content sounds like turf that should be managed by appropriate tech support in the workplace.  Not saying the exposure won’t have value, but I have concern about the coursework that’s been trimmed and left on the floor.

Just saying, as a retired finance professional, that a broad finance curriculum is likely to better serve a new grad than one that has been shorn to make room for some database courses.

But if you're retired, what connection do you have to the way finance is currently done? I currently work in finance at one of the biggest tech companies in the world. Sure, current financial degree programs are good enough to get in, but when we're dealing with the newest technologies like bots and blockchain, and they don't fully understand what that is, the learning curve tends to be bigger than it should be. If they're able to come in with all that knowledge already under their belt, that cuts down on training for us.

Ask your systems analysis director how many comp sci grads they have to teach system design skills to.  (And that’s not ancillary to the degree in question.)

Best combination of skills would be Finance, Statistics, and Coding. There is a great need to link the capabilities of coder nerds with the needs of the suits. Too many of the suits don't really understand what info coders can provide and few coders have a clue what's really important to the suits. Too often never the twain shall meet.

Then there's InfoSec. A whole other can of tech worms.

Almost a billion, unencrypted, mortgage documents were exposed on the internet. These include far more personal detail than mere credit reports.

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2019/05/first-american-financial-corp-leaked-hundreds-of-millions-of-title-insurance-records/

7 hours ago, hdporter said:

Much of the described added course content sounds like turf that should be managed by appropriate tech support in the workplace.  Not saying the exposure won’t have value, but I have concern about the coursework that’s been trimmed and left on the floor.

Mmmmmmmmm, trimmings...

25 minutes ago, Sidewinder said:

Mmmmmmmmm, trimmings...

In NOLA, I’ve heard them called “debris”  😋

2 hours ago, cashnocredit said:

Best combination of skills would be Finance, Statistics, and Coding.

coding is not something you need to learn in college. I taught myself Python and so can anyone else.

16 minutes ago, hegemony said:

coding is not something you need to learn in college. I taught myself Python and so can anyone else.

Hmmmmm ...

Hege.  Python.

Kat, is that true?

33 minutes ago, PotO said:

Hmmmmm ...

Hege.  Python.

Kat, is that true?

she wouldn;'t know as she;s too tied up in your second-hand RV

42 minutes ago, hegemony said:

she wouldn;'t know as she;s too tied up in your second-hand RV

Not second-hand.  Third-hand.  

And it's cozy.  😍

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, hegemony said:

I agree. Most coders I know didn't learn coding in college. But people that become professional coders, as opposed to those that program as an adjunct, tend to devolve into just doing coding. Python is quite easy to learn and can have great performance as well. Not so much from the basic language, but the wide availability of add ones written in high performance languages. It's rapidly becoming the language of choice for domain specific work.

Being reasonably adept at coding is a major accelerator when working in most fields these days.

Most of the coding I did was ancillary to embedded system design and signal analysis - simulation. But I also tracked down a problem in our accounting system that was resulting in 1M/month blowing out AP and inventory levels and was on the verge of breaking our AR LOC covenants.. Found it using Access and coding the VB database interface. Shortly after the IT director was looking for new opportunities.

It's good to know how to code and when to use it. For anyone in any field.

Edited by cashnocredit
AR s/b AP. Duh.

20 hours ago, PotO said:

Hmmmmm ...

Hege.  Python.

Kat, is that true?

Came.alot