Diane40

A question about reaging …

I have an account that first became delinquent in April 2012 and never was brought current and has displayed that date up until March 2019 when the DOFD was changed to August 2012 and then again in May 2019 it was changed to October 2012. Is this reaging as this account should have changed to a positive status as of April 2019. Am i wrong? 

Forgot to mention that i have the Equifax Monitoring Service and can check my CR .. this is where i discovered the changes.

do you have official HARD copies showing the prior data and official HARD copies showing the current data?

Yes hegemony i do .. old reports dating a few years back and i have requested a mailed copy from Equifax as well. 

Also this account was only reporting on Equifax and Innovis.  I received a hard copy from Innovis in 2014 showing the account going positive in 01/2019.  Just received a fresh copy in April 2019 and the account is no longer on the report.  Completely removed.

With the previously alluded to proper documentation by Heg, you are on the right track to fix this problem. Look at the "items as of date reported" date. If this last reported date updates to a newer date with the corresponding DOFD changes, the account holder is making changes to the trade line.

My recent experiences show EQ auto deleting 4 months prior to 7 years. If the DOFD stops moving, this may resolve itself in a few months. In regards to unintended consequences, I have seen limited data points which may indicate the auto delete gets disrupted when a dispute is recently done prior to the auto delete date. 

Thank you for the reply DigDeep.  The date reported is still the same .. has not changed.  Equifax has deleted a couple of my other negatives about 3 months prior to 7 years.  This one is strange .. it has never been brought current and the dofd was april 2012 .. all old cr's show this same date up until march 2019 when it changed to aug 2012 and then to oct in may 2019.  There has been no disputes on this account.  When disputing an account do you send the entire credit report or just the page the account is listed on?  Thank you so much.

Posted (edited)

If you provide EQ with their own actual mailed reports they sent to you which document the DOFD date changing, they would be hard pressed not to delete that account.

I would not send the original mailed copy because it is your evidence if you need to take this further. 

I would think mailing a copy of the whole report with a statement explaining the situation and requesting deletion would be best.

Edited by DigDeep

April 2012 to October 2012 is six months. The regulation gives them up to six months to charge off an account; it is provided for in the FCRA. Technically they have 7.5 years from the DOFD. The change sounds allowable.

5 hours ago, legaleagle2012 said:

April 2012 to October 2012 is six months. The regulation gives them up to six months to charge off an account; it is provided for in the FCRA. Technically they have 7.5 years from the DOFD. The change sounds allowable.

You are correct in the 7.5 years technical aspect. However, in practice this is seldom done. I can think of maybe a couple of threads, as long as I have been reading these boards, where a TL was deleted by the bureau at 7.5 years. The bureaus set the auto deletions to delete 1-4 months early.

The DOFD was changed THREE times, each time without a corresponding change of last reported date, It seems odd that a credit bureau would do something as inefficient as this.

This leads me to this question. Can a creditor make a change to a TL WITHOUT having the last reported date updated? If someone could definitively answer this question, it would be helpful to determine who is originating the change.

Thank you both so much for the reply.  I still do not understand even though they may continue to report for 7.5 years why the DOFD was changed first from original date of april then to august and now october .. it has remained the same ... april 2012 .. through these past few years until now when it is time to go postive.  Innovis has removed it completely and stated in 2014 that it would go postive in January 2019.  Confused ...

2 hours ago, DigDeep said:

This leads me to this question. Can a creditor make a change to a TL WITHOUT having the last reported date updated? If someone could definitively answer this question, it would be helpful to determine who is originating the change.

The answer to this is the next piece of the puzzle.

But not confused enough to know this is not right to change the DOFD to a later date to keep it on the credit report longer.  Creditor beware .. especially when one has all their ducks in a row.

This thread begs the question, “Who’s the creditor.”   Most reputable creditors don’t typically play such games.

Yes, under FCRA a charge-off can be reported until 7y 6m from DOFD.  But changing the DOFD to effect an additional 6-mo retention by the CRA is definitely not playing by the rules.

In any case, the retention to Oct 2019 is permissible (though unusual).  I suggest holding on action until a November mailed obsolescence dispute, if necessary.

Thank you hdporter for the reply.
I do not know if this matters or not but i noticed in the upper left column under .. Date of First delinquency .. that it is noted as .. N/A  The 81-Month Payment History is what shows when the dofd began which was April 2012 and has always been up until March / May 2019.  That is where i am seeing the dofd changing.

I hesitate to mention the Creditor's name as i don't know as of yet who is at fault .. the Creditor or Equifax. 

18 minutes ago, Diane40 said:

I hesitate to mention the Creditor's name as i don't know as of yet who is at fault .. the Creditor or Equifax. 

but you don't mind mentioning EQ? 🙄

It seems they exercised the option of starting their reporting at the charge off date. As long as they don't go beyond 7 years from that date I think they'll get away with it. Technically, the first DOFD they chose was incorrect, but nobody ever complains about getting an extra six months knocked off their reporting period. They couldn't do that for a lawsuit, but it seems to be legal for reporting because of the regulation.

Thank you legaleagle2012 for the reply.  The DOFD has always been April 2012 the whole 7 years up until March 2019 a month before it was due to go positive they changed it.  I have older Credit Reports to prove it and a Report from Innovis as well for backup.  It makes it look like DOFD began in October 2012  and this is all under the 81-month Payment History.  They have N/A at the top on the line Date Of First Delinquency.  I'm disputing it .. they changed it twice to august then to october .. and all at the end of 7 years.  They should have had it reporting as October 2012 from the beginning not at the end.  Reported date was 02/28/2014.

21 hours ago, hegemony said:

but you don't mind mentioning EQ? 🙄

Right because i know Equifax didn't do it ... they have always deleted early .. not that i had tons of negative debts but just the ones i did have they were great and removed them 3 months early.  I've got plenty of documentation to back me up .. Thanks for replying hegemony.  :) 

Besides that what would stop them from doing it again ... changing the dofd .. needs to be nipped in the bud now. 

On 5/22/2019 at 9:35 AM, DigDeep said:

You are correct in the 7.5 years technical aspect. However, in practice this is seldom done. I can think of maybe a couple of threads, as long as I have been reading these boards, where a TL was deleted by the bureau at 7.5 years. The bureaus set the auto deletions to delete 1-4 months early.

The DOFD was changed THREE times, each time without a corresponding change of last reported date, It seems odd that a credit bureau would do something as inefficient as this.

Can someone please answer the above ... i would like to know too .. please. :)

Date reported would be the last time the data furnisher sent an update to the bureau.

It sounds like every month your oldest "first negative" month on the TL is aging off, which moves the "first reporting negative" on the TL forward by one month, even though the data furnisher hasn't provided new data to the bureau.

I put the terms above in quotes because they are merely descriptive, and not defined by statute.  Your DOFD drives how long the TL itself can report negatively, and I don't see any evidence that it's changing.

7 hours ago, cv91915 said:

Date reported would be the last time the data furnisher sent an update to the bureau.

It sounds like every month your oldest "first negative" month on the TL is aging off, which moves the "first reporting negative" on the TL forward by one month, even though the data furnisher hasn't provided new data to the bureau.

I put the terms above in quotes because they are merely descriptive, and not defined by statute.  Your DOFD drives how long the TL itself can report negatively, and I don't see any evidence that it's changing.

Thank you cv91915 for the reply.  It makes sense what you said.  The DOFD above that section states .. N/A yet of course the payment history reflects or did the first missed payment but since it is moving it looks like October is the first. And why would Innovis have January 2019 as going positive .. they have the first missed payment of 30 days in April 2012 .. that was 2014 when i pulled their report of course as previously mentioned it was gone with a new report in April 2019.  Equifax has always removed early and this was a surprise when i saw it still under the negative section in May 2019 with April 2012 moved to October 2012. It looked like they moved it there to keep it on longer. Thanks again cv91915 as i am not a credit expert .. appreciate your taking the time to reply.  :)