Sign in to follow this  
cv91915

Barclays Aviator Silver EQD Devaluation: One Man's Gastronomic Response

With the EQD earning potential on the Aviator Silver MasterCard effectively gutted (the spending requirement for 3,000 EQDs has doubled, and you can now only earn a total of 3,000 instead of 6,000 EQDs no matter how much you spend on the card), I've been on the fence about renewing and paying the $195 annual fee.

I finally decided to renew, mainly so I could be the guy that causes Barclays to rethink this benefit.

dKqW6nP.png

I'm going to max this every time I get stuck in Economy.

For the next 12 months I'm going to answer the question, "Just how many Pringles can this guy eat?"

Aren't you EXP through the end of this year?  (free AA coach snacks)

Edited by hdporter

6 hours ago, hdporter said:

Aren't you EXP through the end of this year?  (free AA coach snacks)

Yes, but technically only the first snack is free.  And I can always buy Pringles for the whole row.

The only thing left for you is to vlog this "cardmember" year and post the YouTube link on the Barclays & American Airlines Twitter feeds (and of course in this thread).

Viva La Revolution!

8 hours ago, mec said:

The only thing left for you is to vlog this "cardmember" year and post the YouTube link on the Barclays & American Airlines Twitter feeds (and of course in this thread).

Viva La Revolution!

If I'm going to vlog it's going to be about Credit Gardening!!!

On 5/20/2019 at 4:45 PM, credit_help said:

AA has Pringles?

Yes, they do, among other snacks. 

adda62f663126a3ab3362aeab15fd117-full.pn

Edited by lightfxboy
Couldn't get link to work.

I have to say my gastronomic response to the AA card devaluations was quite different.

Had I been aboard an aircraft, it would have been rather unpleasant for the other passengers...

I've done a miserable job staying on top of this, but I finally got started today.

$0.49 OOP (after $25 credit):

5riRi7K.jpg

2 hours ago, cv91915 said:

I've done a miserable job staying on top of this, but I finally got started today.

5riRi7K.jpg

looks like a recipe to become a POS

3 hours ago, cv91915 said:

5riRi7K.jpg

Have you factored in the additional time required in a fitness center?

Four Pringles and a Power Bites Snack Box ($25.49 total) is definitely the sweet spot.

The flight attendant on my flight from MUD-LAX today tried to pull a fast one on me:  "I'll just charge you for two Pringles, and we'll call it even."

From my icy stare she knew that wasn't going to fly.  👀 

YoB13Cv.jpg

40 minutes ago, cv91915 said:

Four Pringles and a Power Bites Snack Box ($25.49 total) is definitely the sweet spot.

The flight attendant on my flight from MUD-LAX today tried to pull a fast one on me:  "I'll just charge you for two Pringles, and we'll call it even."

From my icy stare she knew that wasn't going to fly.  👀 

YoB13Cv.jpg

You may have left some cash on the table. How many pringles in a can?

I'm still looking for a downgrade worthy of my sock drawer. Slim pickings at Barclays.

14 minutes ago, Occam said:

You may have left some cash on the table. How many pringles in a can?

I'm still looking for a downgrade worthy of my sock drawer. Slim pickings at Barclays.

I don't know how many.  I don't eat Pringles.

I called this a long time ago, but Barclays is definitely subprime... and getting subprimer.

Speaking of EQDs, I'm seriously thinking about doing a weekend in Budapest in December.

This is First Class both ways on British Airways, with AA code share flight numbers.

If I don't do something drastic, I'm going to be ~6,000 EQDs short of requalifying for Executive Platinum, and this trip would take care of it all at once. 

I had my heart set on Prague, but depending on the dates in December it's pricing at either ~$4,000 or ~$10,000, neither of which work -- for very different reasons.

KwqKQct.png

3 hours ago, cv91915 said:

Speaking of EQDs, I'm seriously thinking about doing a weekend in Budapest in December.

This is First Class both ways on British Airways, with AA code share flight numbers.

If I don't do something drastic, I'm going to be ~6,000 EQDs short of requalifying for Executive Platinum, and this trip would take care of it all at once. 

I had my heart set on Prague, but depending on the dates in December it's pricing at either ~$4,000 or ~$10,000, neither of which work -- for very different reasons.

KwqKQct.png

is that the PHL-BUD flight on the 150 year old 767? complete waste of miles IMHO. One of the worse premium cabin experiences even.

sometimes things are on sale for a reason.

8 hours ago, hegemony said:

8 hours ago, hegemony said:

is that the PHL-BUD flight on the 150 year old 767? complete waste of miles IMHO. One of the worse premium cabin experiences even.

BA, SAN-LHR-BUD

The second $25.49 purchase posted before the statement closed, but the second $25.00 credit did not.

So my account balance is $0.98, but the minimum payment due is $25.98.  I guess I'll make the payment and then burn the $25.00 credit balance over the next

25 / 0.49 = 51 travel days

because I'm not putting any real spending on this card.

RwcuI66.png

13 minutes ago, cv91915 said:

The second $25.49 purchase posted before the statement closed, but the second $25.00 credit did not.

So my account balance is $0.98, but the minimum payment due is $25.98.  I guess I'll make the payment and then burn the $25.00 credit balance over the next

25 / 0.49 = 51 travel days

because I'm not putting any real spending on this card.

RwcuI66.png

That didn't go very well.

rs7hlaw.png

With a balance of less than a dollar, won't Barclays just zero it out?  Or are the one of the banks that actually wants every single penny? 

On 10/20/2019 at 4:25 PM, cv91915 said:

KwqKQct.png

I couldn't get excited about Budapest, so I decided to go to Prague after all.

I found a less desirable route on mixed AA and BA aircraft on the outbound portion for more money and more EQDs (which is the point of all this!).

I also just booked some domestic travel I already had planned for 2019 in First rather than Economy, and this will be enough to push me over 15,000 EQDs for 2019.

I'm essentially spending an extra ~$6,100 (PRG ticket plus two domestic one-ways in First instead of Coach) in exchange for four days in Prague, plus what Executive Platinum will get me in 2020:  4 system-wide upgrades, roughly 80% upgrade success rate on the 80 flights per year I'm averaging, access to OneWorld First Class lounges when traveling internationally, plus a handful of other stuff.

I'll earn almost 60,000 redeemable miles and get back $250 in cash (4.5% on Altitude Reserve) just for the Prague trip.

S7mDNrV.png

I'm already looking forward to seeing the Christmas market, and I guess now it's time to start planning the rest of the visit...

prague-christmas-market-2210x1452.jpg

Today, DFW-SAN.  

$25.49 - $25.00 = $0.49 OOP (again).

At some point I'll have to expand the kitchen to accommodate all of these Pringles. 

LLd7upz.jpg