frank92555

Finally off of AMEX Blacklist

I have been on the AMEX blacklist since the recession a decade ago. It was AMEX that began my downfall when they reduced my limits to a pittance and closed some of my other accounts. I know I still owe them for an unpaid judgement against me on one account from 10 years ago for about 4k, and a few other cards that they didn't sue me for. In fact every time I call the reps say that " Oh yes we see your old accounts here".

Every six months or so I pop on to their pre-qualified site to see if I get any offers (wishful thinking). This time I decided that since I have paid off some more recent collections from 3 years ago and I pay all my new charges in full every month, maybe this would help me and they would be nice enough to show some love. There were no pre-qualified offers for me this time either.

However, there was an odd message just afterwards that offered me 50k MR as a sign up bonus for an AMEX gold. I thought this was odd as they just shot me down and current offers were 35k points. So I decided to take the plunge and go through a formal application. I got to one point where it asked me to add additional cardholders and it automatically knew my wife once I typed her name. I added my daughter (18 next week) and it asked for her SSN and DOB, where it did not ask for my wife. Next it took a good minute or two and said I was flippin approved. 

Wow, I could not believe it. I know I owed them a bunch of money and they still let me back in. 

About 30 minutes after I applied I got an email saying "Welcome back" and listing the last digits of my new card number. If only I could be so lucky to get my original membership date back!!! I wonder if they recognized my behavior and payment patterns through the USAA AMEX that I use all the time?

Regardless, I don't know what it was, I am back in now! All that is left is to convince CITI to let me back in and to grow my limits.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, frank92555 said:

I wonder if they recognized my behavior and payment patterns through the USAA AMEX that I use all the time?

Congratulations!!!  :D

Correct! This is a good entrance for former members, they can get a good data point from your expertise after approved through the American Express co-branded card from various financial institutions. By using their payment network, American Express may know that they are former members and are eager to return.

Edited by MP80

3 hours ago, frank92555 said:

I have been on the AMEX blacklist since the recession a decade ago. It was AMEX that began my downfall when they reduced my limits to a pittance and closed some of my other accounts. I know I still owe them for an unpaid judgement against me on one account from 10 years ago for about 4k, and a few other cards that they didn't sue me for. In fact every time I call the reps say that " Oh yes we see your old accounts here".

Every six months or so I pop on to their pre-qualified site to see if I get any offers (wishful thinking). This time I decided that since I have paid off some more recent collections from 3 years ago and I pay all my new charges in full every month, maybe this would help me and they would be nice enough to show some love. There were no pre-qualified offers for me this time either.

However, there was an odd message just afterwards that offered me 50k MR as a sign up bonus for an AMEX gold. I thought this was odd as they just shot me down and current offers were 35k points. So I decided to take the plunge and go through a formal application. I got to one point where it asked me to add additional cardholders and it automatically knew my wife once I typed her name. I added my daughter (18 next week) and it asked for her SSN and DOB, where it did not ask for my wife. Next it took a good minute or two and said I was flippin approved. 

Wow, I could not believe it. I know I owed them a bunch of money and they still let me back in. 

About 30 minutes after I applied I got an email saying "Welcome back" and listing the last digits of my new card number. If only I could be so lucky to get my original membership date back!!! I wonder if they recognized my behavior and payment patterns through the USAA AMEX that I use all the time?

Regardless, I don't know what it was, I am back in now! All that is left is to convince CITI to let me back in and to grow my limits.

I don't think they data mine off of USAA, but I could be wrong.

You might just be lucky or perhaps they will keep you on a tight leash.  I have heard people formerly blacklisted who got approved for a charge card, but have never been allowed an AmEx credit product.  I read about a guy yesterday who similarly was approved for the AmEx Platinum Card, but has been under a $2,800 hard limit for a long, long time.  

Take it slow and hopefully they have truly de-blacklisted you.

Great news!!  

Your USAA Amex is a red herring, but enjoy the Gold card!

Posted (edited)

WOO HOOO! 

Just got my card in the mail and It is backdated to 2007.

I don't know how since I thought they were not backdating accounts anymore. But I don't care and I am a very happy camper.

Now I just need to see if anything will show on credit report. I know my old closed accounts in good standing still show.

Edited by frank92555

15 minutes ago, frank92555 said:

Bummer, I guess they often give you the old date on the card, just not on the credit report.

it is a bummer but congrats on getting back in :wave:

Congrats!!! :wave:

Sorry,  you're too late to join the happy reunion of *D. :(

Bummer, I guess they often give you the old date on the card, just not on the credit report.

Yes, it would have been sweet to see that appear on your credit reports, too, but the major accomplishment is becoming de-blacklisted.  That itself is cause for celebration!  👏🏻👏🏻

Nice going! After I got off the blacklist/BK list I was able to do a couple of the 3x CLI's and now have a decent limit on the AX revolver. They do grow with you nicely. Next time will be in July when I will try for the fabled 50K+ limit.

Congratulations.

I wonder if your good luck is an outlier of good fortune or is AMEX now forgiving low amounts owed from previous accounts.

13 hours ago, insolent1 said:

Congratulations.

I wonder if your good luck is an outlier of good fortune or is AMEX now forgiving low amounts owed from previous accounts.

I follow this topic pretty closely as I have a personal stake in doing so (hoping one day to be off it myself).  For the last few years they have loosened up the BL restrictions and letting people back in.  It still seems to be that $10k is the magic number, but again I am sure there are cases that fall outside that guideline.

Back in late 2012 / early 2013 there was a flurry of AmEx forgiveness with people owing far more than $10k finding themselves welcomed back with open arms.  A portion of those were obviously the result of AmEx getting clobbered over underhanded tactics in their settlement tactics with debtors, but not all.  

I wonder if AmEx hasn't found it somehow profitable to forgive at times.  Could they have an internal scoring mechanism that now overlooks certain past behavior if other factors look really good?

29 minutes ago, PotO said:

I wonder if AmEx hasn't found it somehow profitable to forgive at times.  Could they have an internal scoring mechanism that now overlooks certain past behavior if other factors look really good?

I have long suggested amex has some profit models that show the risk/reward of approving someone like me who burnt them.

27 minutes ago, PotO said:

Back in late 2012 / early 2013 there was a flurry of AmEx forgiveness with people owing far more than $10k finding themselves welcomed back with open arms.  A portion of those were obviously the result of AmEx getting clobbered over underhanded tactics in their settlement tactics with debtors, but not all.  

I am not sure. I do know that I used the charge cards heavily before the recession. The only other two factors that I could mention where I would be different than anyone else trying to get back in were the fact that I do have a USAA AMEX that I use heavily, and that I often did the pre-approval about every six months to see if there was any change. 

1 hour ago, hegemony said:

I have long suggested amex has some profit models that show the risk/reward of approving someone like me who burnt them.

They'd be crazy if they didn't.  

I am not sure. I do know that I used the charge cards heavily before the recession. The only other two factors that I could mention where I would be different than anyone else trying to get back in were the fact that I do have a USAA AMEX that I use heavily, and that I often did the pre-approval about every six months to see if there was any change. 

I think Hegemony is right.  

If you have a USAA credit card, your credit must be decent.  AmEx probably figures you will be profitable and no risk.  

The only pity is that you missed backdating.  You would have a credit card account on your reports older than dirt.