Sign in to follow this  
Krish

ACU (Alliant) fraud transaction - giving me run around

Posted (edited)

Fraud dept called me with a pending transaction, confirmed that I was not in Eastern state (still in AS), they re-issued a new card, which didnt show up after 7 days either. Now, the fraud transaction got posted and when I called, they said the transaction was never flagged as fraud.. hmmm.. why did they call me and re-issue a new card?

After calling them, they said it will take 2 weeks for the fraud dept to come back with investigation and then I am responsible for the charge, until the investigation is completed.. really? is that how visa/master card rules are? I thought the card holder is not responsible for any fraud transactions...

With an increase in AF, this car is worthless to me from next year. 

I learned my lesson and would never use my ACU after this year (paid the annual fee) ever again. Hopefully no more fraudulent transactions happen between now an then...

Edited by Krish

my ACU  card was hit twice last year and the fraud ppl were far from helpful over the phone but ultimately it worked out. compared to chase or amex it was amateur hour.

1 hour ago, Krish said:

Fraud dept called me with a pending transaction, confirmed that I was not in Eastern state (still in AS), they re-issued a new card, which didnt show up after 7 days either. Now, the fraud transaction got posted and when I called, they said the transaction was never flagged as fraud.. hmmm.. why did they call me and re-issue a new card?

After calling them, they said it will take 2 weeks for the fraud dept to come back with investigation and then I am responsible for the charge, until the investigation is completed.. really? is that how visa/master card rules are? I thought the card holder is not responsible for any fraud transactions...

With an increase in AF, this car is worthless to me from next year. 

I learned my lesson and would never use my ACU after this year (paid the annual fee) ever again. Hopefully no more fraudulent transactions happen between now an then...

No, that's not how it works. You are not responsible for fraudulent charges. But you do have certain obligations.

To protect your rights, you must dispute the card in writing. One should do so immediately on discovering the fraudulent charge. While it's also OK and good practice to call immediately you must follow up in writing.

While a charge is being investigated, you do not have to make payments on it.

They don't have to just take your word for it. A bank is allowed to make their own determination that a charge is legit or fraud. In cases like this it's clear, but sometimes it can be iffy. Like if a family member uses your card. Which is one of the reasons they ask if you ever let someone else use your card. Never do that! Then it's easy to say no and you haven't left any sort of trail that you let someone else use your card.

And this is why one should never use a debit card. Convert them to ATM only cards. Harder for thieves to steal and use.. And you are out the money while they investigate.

This is a credit card and them calling me about fraud and then not flagging the transaction as fraud is a no-no. Also, giving me 2 different numbers to call, one to report the fraud and one to re-order the card.. amateur hour for sure...

7 hours ago, mec said:

Which one is ACU?

I'm going to +1 this, even though the popularity of +1ing something seems to have faded.

So +1.

On 5/13/2019 at 7:34 PM, mec said:

Which one is ACU?

Maybe one of these:

ACU Credit Union
Advantage Credit Union
Alabama Credit Union
Allegiance Credit Union
Allegius Credit Union
Alliant Credit Union
America's Credit Union
Associated Credit Union (Atlanta)
Associated Credit Union (Texas)

There are probably more of them.

As soon as the name of this CU is confirmed this thread gets a spot in my "amateur" thread, however OP's experience could be expected from almost any CU, or from Discovery.

Well Alliant took away fraud transactions and some of them were never posted to the closed account. Account balance is in negative and hate to see that. Sent an email to fix that...