hegemony

When wives earn more than their husbands, their marriage is less likely to last

On 3/9/2019 at 7:16 PM, cv91915 said:

People suck.

I've been in two relationships where I've been out-earned by my "SO".  A fiance when I was in college, and now my wife, who's doubled her income in the 8 years since we moved to GA for her to take a job at an "attractive" salary (I'm now retired ... about 5-7 years to go for DW).

Fortunately, in either case it never occurred to either woman to leverage her income advantage as general leverage in our relationship.  (And I'm pretty sure that would have been a deal breaker, in either instance.)

It’s never okay for either sex to leverage their income.

Buts just sad that so many men can’t handle a woman making more than them. I have dated guys that make less than me. And while it wasn’t the cause of the breakup they were self conscious of the fact. And they didn’t know how much I make just knew based on my role.

1 hour ago, cv91915 said:

Am I the husband or the wife?

I was also wondering how that works :D

20 minutes ago, hegemony said:

Mrs. Hegemony made 12.4x Mr. Hegemony last year. Life is good :)

Are you the husband or the wife?

12 minutes ago, cv91915 said:

Are you the husband or the wife?

exactly.

I make a lot more employment income than TAD does, but from some of his distant relatives we recently inherited 1/16 of the proceeds of the sale of a small village in eastern Turkey in a transaction he assured me was "sketchy."  

And the gifts like this just keep on coming.

DW has made more than I every year since the beginning. She had the salary, but my (now former) job had the bennies. This year she will make a LOT more than me ... maybe we'll actually break even in April 2020 on wealth redistribution income taxes.

17 hours ago, hegemony said:

In fact, the risk of divorce is nearly 33% higher when a husband isn’t working full-time, according to “Money, Work, and Marital Stability: Assessing Change in the Gendered Determinants of Divorce,” a 2016 study of more than 6,300 couples by Alexandra Killewald, professor of sociology at Harvard University.

Pfft ... that ain't nuthin.  In China, the risk of divorce is 99.9999% if the wife earns more than the husband.  Or if the wife is taller than the husband.  Or has a higher educational level than the husband.  Or -- and this is for you, CV -- has a bigger Richard than the husband.  

20 hours ago, tiggerlgh said:

It’s never okay for either sex to leverage their income.

Buts just sad that so many men can’t handle a woman making more than them. I have dated guys that make less than me. And while it wasn’t the cause of the breakup they were self conscious of the fact. And they didn’t know how much I make just knew based on my role.

FWIW, this is not a sex-based issue.  The dynamic holds true even in the gay community.  I've had more than one instance where a six-figure difference in incomes created friction with women I was dating. 

16 hours ago, PotO said:

In fact, the risk of divorce is nearly 33% higher when a husband isn’t working full-time, according to “Money, Work, and Marital Stability: Assessing Change in the Gendered Determinants of Divorce,” a 2016 study of more than 6,300 couples by Alexandra Killewald, professor of sociology at Harvard University.

DW's X lost his job and was unemployed for almost three years when she divorced him. He wanted to just live off her salary, she finally told him to go do something even if it was going to Home Depot and putting on an orange apron. He refused, and the rest is history.