dotcalm

Spouse's Medical Collection on my Report?

I recently got an alert that a collection account was added to my credit report.  After pulling all 3 reports I now see that there are 3 items (with the same account number), each with a different amount, from a CA that was from an unpaid bill for my spouse's doctor's visits.  Should I still follow the HIPAA dispute process or is there a more simple way to request a validation since technically the validated information would not be mine? 

Welcome to Creditboards!

We hope that you find what you're looking for here.

Some helpful tips:

• Your post may not get a reply right away. Don't be discouraged, this is a very busy board. If it falls off of the first page, feel free to reply to your post yourself, with the word *bump* in the text. This will *bump* your post back up to the top of the board.
  • If you haven't yet, take a peek at out Newbies Section. Everything that you need to know is in that forum, for the most part. It's a lot of reading, we know, but this credit stuff can have a steep learning curve. In no time, you'll be posting like the pros!
  • If you find that someone is discourteous to you, use the REPORT button at the top right of every post - that will ensure that a moderator or admin looks at the post and decides if it is against the TOS.
  • Off -topic posts should go in the General Forum.

Again, welcome to the CreditBoards family!

CB Admin: LKH, Pam, radi8, :angel:breeze:angel: & MarvBear

If your spouse was covered under your insurance then any unpaid balances of co-pays or deductibles ARE your responsibility.

Follow the guides;

https://whychat.me/GUIDEBOOK.html

https://whychat.me/GUIDE HIPAA PROGRAM.html

Send the initial dispute letter to the CRAs

https://whychat.me/hipaadisp.html

Please note that this phrase is incorporated into the initial dispute letter;

Please advise me as to the name(s) and address(es) of the medical provider(s), the date(s) and type(s) of service,and to whom the service(s) was (were) provided, as any account(s) I might have had may be obsolete.

I assume the HIPAA regulations would prevent them from validating since its not my debt correct?  Should I dispute on my account then my spouse’s, or the opposite?  I have no problems paying, but we “live” on my credit score.

All states have something called the doctrine of necessaries, which states you are responsible for medical treatment for a spouse or child, so it is your debt.

The "doctrine of necessaries" deals with being sued;

Here are the State's laws;

https://www.bills.com/debt/debt-management/doctrine-of-necessaries

If your spouse is covered under your insurance then you are liable for co-pays and deductibles. If your spouse was NOT covered under your insurance then you have may have no legal liability depending on your State.

Send the initial dispute letters and come back here with the results.

(BTW--what was the date of medical service?? If it was more than 2 years ago it may be a JDB (junk debt buyer) trying to squeeze $$ from you especially if you have NOT opted out before and have recently applied for a mortgage)

Initial dispute letters are in the mail today! Will report back on my progress.

Update:  TransUnion initial letter was delivered on 05/11, I received an alert today from MyFico that a collection was removed from my account, and a second alert that the balance of all collections on my account is now $0!  Still waiting on Equifax, but will update from them as soon as I see some activity there as well!