Loan from school. Private loan?

Garnet

The last post in this topic was posted 1258 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

I’ve been receiving emails from a school I attended 10+ years ago. 

They are a large state public university and have recently started sending me emails and letters stating that I owe them for small loans given by the university themself. Of course these small loans (maybe two $500?) have now suddenly become thousands. 

I have no recollection of these (although they may be correct). I have consolidated Federal loans that I’ve been paying for years and am current on. 

Are these loans considered private loans? If so the SOL has long since run out. I haven’t replied to any of the emails or the statement I received via snail mail. 

Thanks for your advice!

The fact that you reference it as a State institution could be a complicating factor which impacts licensing.  A growing number of States have implemented legislative efforts that give an ability to suspend various licenses for non-payment of monies owed to the State.  This includes professional licenses in addition to vehicle registration and driver licenses...

Emails are not what I could consider a valid manner of communication in a matter such as this.  The snail mail communication you indicate that you received is something that you should provide a detailed reply to so that you have taken the constructive step of preserving your rights.  DO NOT play ostrich and stick your head in the sand, doing nothing! 

The last post in this topic was posted 1258 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.