Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Loan from school. Private loan?

I’ve been receiving emails from a school I attended 10+ years ago. 

They are a large state public university and have recently started sending me emails and letters stating that I owe them for small loans given by the university themself. Of course these small loans (maybe two $500?) have now suddenly become thousands. 

I have no recollection of these (although they may be correct). I have consolidated Federal loans that I’ve been paying for years and am current on. 

Are these loans considered private loans? If so the SOL has long since run out. I haven’t replied to any of the emails or the statement I received via snail mail. 

Thanks for your advice!

The fact that you reference it as a State institution could be a complicating factor which impacts licensing.  A growing number of States have implemented legislative efforts that give an ability to suspend various licenses for non-payment of monies owed to the State.  This includes professional licenses in addition to vehicle registration and driver licenses...

Emails are not what I could consider a valid manner of communication in a matter such as this.  The snail mail communication you indicate that you received is something that you should provide a detailed reply to so that you have taken the constructive step of preserving your rights.  DO NOT play ostrich and stick your head in the sand, doing nothing! 

I wasn’t aware of the restrictions on licenses, etc.

I’ll reply to the one statement I received. 

Thanks much!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Humbled82
      Hello Credit Board

I am newbie to this forum, but have been lurking for a while. I had recently pulled my credit report and I am having major issues with my student loans. Apparently I have loans that have been transferred \ sold and now are with a new company. The original loan was open back in the 2000's but they are still showing on my credit report. I am not sure how I can have these removed. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you in advance
    • By Ambrcat14
      Hi, I'm new here and got a notice from a credit agency on my private student loan.  It's been 3 years since I last paid as I was contesting the amount and got sick.  I signed for the loan in D.C. and the loan originated in OH.  I now live in OH.  I also stopped paying while I lived in NY (before I moved to OH).  I just got a letter from a CA based in NY state (don't know if the CA state location makes any difference).  My question is which SOL will apply?  OH, NY or the shorter DC SOL of 3 years?  OH has a number of SOLs, 6 years, 8 years so I'm not sure which SOL would even apply to the promissory note for the bank based in OH.  How could I look this up at a law library.  I'm not very familiar with the process if anyone could help with legal research ideas?  I'm also contesting the validity of the loan because the promissory note states that the repayment period is 240 months and I think I have passed this point.  Any help I can find would help a long way; very stressed out by this situation---there are so many ways this could go---if the CA goes through with a judgment and wage garnishment (I'm disabled and earn a very small part time income) can they revive the judgment every five years for 15 years (OH) even after the SOL expires on the private loan itself (3 yrs DC SOL, 6 yrs NY SOL, 6 or 8 yrs SOL OH)?  I don't know if I should just ignore the CA or write them to dispute this loan (and risk waking the sleeping giant) or wake the sleeping giant with a dispute letter and prepare myself to go to court (have no idea how I would defend myself but would like to dispute amount of the loan, SOL etc).  This all seems very risky.  Can this debt sold to a credit agency be invalid?
    • By mistermanager
      Hi everyone! Just joined the community after hearing great things on an number of personal finance forums. I'm trying to rebuild my credit so that I can get a good mortgage hopefully by the end of 2020. Specifically, I'd like to increase my score from 568 to above 700 -- I know that's ambitious.

Some positives. Several weeks ago, I paid off the remaining balance on my CC debt. I'm now in the middle of consolidating my student loan debt, which racks up to about $42K. I'll begin making monthly payments as soon as that process is complete. 

The not so good. The student loan debt mentioned above. I also have four collection / chargeoff accounts at Cap 1 (x2), Discover, Wells Fargo and Discover. 

I don't know where to start. I've recently tried applying online for a number of secured credit cards with Cap 1, Discover and Citi but have been denied due to my past issues. Are there any banks that will accept me? What are my other options? Any advice is welcome and I'm ready to do whatever it takes to reach or move closer towards my goal. For what it's worth, salary is between $100K and $120K and paying about $1.3K in rent every month.

• By cherylb18
      Hi, 

In 2010, while unemployed I decided to go back to school to get an MBA in Project Management at Jones International University. I was already working in the field so I thought that the MBA was going to give my career a boost. 

While in school I didn't feel I was learning much and I stopped studying for a while because I got a new job and had no time to commit to classes. While this was happening my loan was in forbearance.

At some point I decided to go back to school and I learned that he school was closing. I requested my credits/transcripts to see if I could transfer to another school and finish what I started but it's been 4 years and I still don't know where the transcripts are, and I now have a $55K student loan with Great Lakes. 

This debt is crushing my credit, and I don't know what to do to get rid of it. I obviously can't afford the IDR and to be honest, why should I pay for something that I don't have?!

If I try to delete this from my credit, I'll lose the payment history so my scores will tank (0 lates). I am not a public servant so that one is not an option for me. I seriously don't know what to do now.

Your advice is more than welcome!
    • By ch1c
      Hello all,

I filed bankruptcy last year and was discharged 7/20/17. Good news I guess - but my scores still suck, currently my TU and EQ scores are in the low 500s. My EX score was at 600 last time I checked. 

I have floated in and out of this forum and other websites looking on how to start the rebuilding process and just end up feeling overwhelmed. I aspire to have better credit, just don’t know where to start and feel kind of hopeless.

I thought perhaps I should start a thread for advice and to even maybe motivate me. I have done some online disputes here and there but, haven’t been very diligent about the whole process. Also, online disputes seem to be a miss for me unless I am having addresses removed (EX excluded). Since the discharge, I have been approved for a few store cards which I don’t use...but that doesn’t help my score at all.

So here is an overview of what’s left on my credit files:

1st off - I have two bk reporting on my reports. One was dismissed, which is from last year because my attorney had an issue getting the fee in on time (negligence on her end). The court had to open another case, which is the case that is discharged. 

2nd - All of the accounts included in bk are reporting correctly except for DCU and a CapOne acct - I disputed and the CRAs said these accounts are valid! I should add that I did it online, which was probably a big no no. Can I redispute by mail along with my discharge papers?

I should add that I burned CapOne, NFCU, Credit One, Chase, Penfed, and DCU. Not sure what options that leaves me with for the secured/bk friendly card route. Discover did approve me shortly after the discharge for a secured card but, I never gave the security deposit. I think I wasn’t really ready and didn’t want to get the card without knowing how to use it to benefit my scores.

3rd - I have some accounts that were not included in the bk that have lates, along with a student loan (Perkins loan being handled by ESCI )that has lates. These lates are a drag and I am trying to figure out how I can have them removed. I also have a paid charge off on my account. I tried consolidating the Perkins loan which is defaulted, the consolidation fell through. What else can I do?

4th - I have tons of inquiries on my reports, because I go on random app sprees hoping for a break that will never happen. Should I bother to have these removed?

I am starting from scratch now and have ordered my TU and EQ report by mail today. Trying to also order EX, they said I need to mail information to them when I called the auto system. 

I suppose my overall issue and question is - How can I increase my scores when I have two bankruptcies reporting and a bunch of lates, plus one paid charge off? Do I need to wait until these things fall off before even working on my reports? My credit files suck and I am stuck, any help is appreciated.

I wasn’t sure if I should put more detailed info on my accounts but, if I need to - I can (minus my personal info of course)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Mrplantato
About Us

Since 2003, creditboards.com has helped thousands of people repair their credit, force abusive collection agents to follow the law, ensure proper reporting by credit reporting agencies, and provided financial education to help avoid the pitfalls that can lead to negative tradelines.

Important Information

Guidelines