RobEvans

Refinance rate shopping, total utilization and 401k-loans

I'm thinking about refinancing if interest rates get down a bit lower. Currently I'm at 4.75% and hoping for 3.75%, so I'm trying to be ready for if/when that is possible.

My current Equifax FICO® Bankcard Score 8 is 765 according to my Citibank Costco card which provides this score. It says my "Proportion of balances to credit limits on bank/national revolving or other revolving accounts is too high " and "amount owed on revolving accounts too high." I have two cards running about $20k in balances on 0% balance transfers which is why it says this.

1. I could take a 401k loan and pay off all of these cards, and then I'd be paying interest to myself. If I did that, would it improve my credit score and get me a better interest rate? Would this likely mean I'd end up getting a better mortgage refinance rate? Do 401k loans count towards your credit card utilization? Would it even help me at all to have a higher credit score than 765?

2. I'd like to apply to three different places to see who can get me the best rate. I have maybe 25% equity. Where should I apply? I'm

thinking about Costco Home Finance and my local credit union. Any other places I should look?

are you sure refi costs justify all the work versus just paying additional principle to get it paid off?

I would never take out a 401k loan for this or any other reason.

you need to learn your mortgage scores (myfico.com sells them) before you take any action to "improve" your scores.

Look at Zillow Mortgage Rates and call the three places with the best offers.  You do not need to apply to discuss pricing.

https://www.zillow.com/mortgage-rates/

How many years do you need to pay off the house?  If you are refinancing consider a 15 or 20 year loan.

I'm a loan officer, and based off of current interest rates, YTD, as well as the fed announcing that they're not anticipating to hike rates for the remainder of the year, 3.875% in the near future doesn't look likely.

I copied & pasted the "back-end" lender rates below. This is called "raw pricing", before there are any margins added and passed on to the consumer. Based on today's rates, the "par" rate is 4.125%, and your target rate of 3.875% has a cost of $970 for every $100k borrowed just to get to par.

Fannie 30yr Fixed (04/19/19)

Rate            30-Day Lock

3.875%               .970

4.000%              .548

4.125%              (0.027)     

4.250%             (0.597)

4.375%             (1.102)

4.500%             (1.573)

4.625%             (1.897)

4.750%             (2.036) 

4.875%             (2.605)

5.000%             (2.877)