WUMBO

ER visit, in collections

Hi Everyone,

About a year ago, I visited the ER only a couple months after turning 18. I went expecting a cost, but not one at the magnitude of what actually came in the form of a bill.

Flash forward to now, the hospital has given the debt to “United Collection Bureau”, and I Received a letter from them with my name, address, the name of the hospital, the service date, and the $1800 total of the debt. The letter said if I pay the debts within 30 days, they would not report to the credit bureau. This letter was sent on March 8th, and it is now April 12th.

That being said, I am currently attending a University working a minimum wage job, and come from a broken family that is below the poverty line. Because of this, paying off this debt is not a reality anywhere in the near future for me. What steps should I take to possibly get this debt deleted, invalidated, or if it comes down to it, negotiating with the CA.

Welcome to Crediboards!

We hope that you find what you're looking for here.

Some helpful tips:

• Your post may not get a reply right away. Don't be discouraged, this is a very busy board. If it falls off of the first page, feel free to reply to your post yourself, with the word *bump* in the text. This will *bump* your post back up to the top of the board.
  • If you haven't yet, take a peek at out Newbies Section. Everything that you need to know is in that forum, for the most part. It's a lot of reading, we know, but this credit stuff can have a steep learning curve. In no time, you'll be posting like the pros!
  • If you find that someone is discourteous to you, use the REPORT button at the top right of every post - that will ensure that a moderator or admin looks at the post and decides if it is against the TOS.
  • Off -topic posts should go in the General Forum.

Again, welcome to the CreditBoards family!

CB Admin: LKH, Pam, radi8, :angel:breeze:angel: & MarvBear

When you visited the ER did you tell them you were uninsured?? Did they offer any financial assistance?? DID you have ANY insurance coverage?? Perhaps under your parent's insurance policy? If your family was under the poverty line they may have been covered under medicaid which would have included you until you are 26 while you are living at home or in school.

Meanwhile, follow this guide ( you don't need to delete old addresses)

https://whychat.me/GUIDEBOOK.html

Send the CA this:

https://whychat.me/ltrcavalhipaa.html

Now that I think of it, I did have insurance. But I had the bill processed through my insurance twice and both times it was rejected because I was not admitted. For some stupid reason I was under the impression that an ER visit would only be around 100-200

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now that I think of it, I did have insurance. But I had the bill processed through my insurance twice and both times it was rejected because I was not admitted

Also, I have moved since the time of service, so are you sure I don’t need to delete old address?

Contact your insurance Co. and get your EOMB ( explanation of medical benefits) . It is more than likely that the OC hospital did not correctly code your claim. OR it is also possible that your insurance DID pay and the CA dunning you is a JDB ( junk debt buyer). In any case, the medical DV letter to them will probably get rid of them, or provide you with better data about whether or not it was properly submitted to your insurance.

*BUMP*

I have not yet followed through with the HIPPA program because this debt is still not reporting on any of my credit reports. Its almost been 2 months since the CA got in contact with me regarding this debt. I have called the hospital, and the hospital did in fact send this bill to the CA. Is there any reason they are not reporting it yet? Should I continue waiting until the the debt actually shows up on my report?

Thanks

Follow the guide and opt out and delete old addresses. 

Get your EOMBs

You can wait if you want to but it is going to be easier if you are prepared.

Are you in Mass.??

Makes sense! Thank you! And no, I am in WA

On 4/24/2019 at 1:14 AM, WUMBO said:

*BUMP*

I have not yet followed through with the HIPPA program because this debt is still not reporting on any of my credit reports. Its almost been 2 months since the CA got in contact with me regarding this debt. I have called the hospital, and the hospital did in fact send this bill to the CA. Is there any reason they are not reporting it yet? Should I continue waiting until the the debt actually shows up on my report?

Thanks

Why would you wait until AFTER something reports to try and be responsible?  The BEST time to be doing something is BEFORE your report has been tarnished...

Weighing in on this thread because WUMBO appears to visit at least occasionally since last activity in this thread and likely could still use some constructive input ...

Ok, you received some strongly worded advice that you should follow through on this matter ASAP, and not wait for further damage.  Don't take it personally; just go with it.  So, yeah, you're advised to deal with this proactively in hopes that you can head off any reporting to your credit report.

You first need to understand exactly what was communicated to you by the insurance company and what benefits do and don't apply to the claim:

An explanation that you weren't eligible for benefits because you "weren't admitted" suggests that you may not have a good grasp of the situation.  If you were seen at intake, they took your personal information incl ins., gave you a wrist band and then had you wait to see an attendant, you were "admitted".  I presume all this occurred since they're billing you for services.

Because of the high cost of ER use, most insurance companies are specific that the ER is only to be used for critical care cases that can't wait for a standard physician's attention, or addressed via an urgent care outpatient clinic.   Non critical care visits to the ER may be subject to defined reductions in benefits.   Examples of care that might be deemed as non-emergency could involve modest to moderate symptoms involving fever, diarrhea, abdominal pain, sprains, or cuts that may require stitches but can be appropriately bandaged in the interim.

Such benefit reduction for non-emergency care could leave you with a larger out-of-pocket cost than anticipated.  In addition, a typical policy these days includes an annual deduction that reduces the benefits that are payable on a claim ($500 or $1000 are not unusual).  Between a penalty for non-emergency care at the ER and your applicable deductible, it could well be that the claim was indeed accepted but that your liability after application of benefits is still substantial.

Now, a bit of gentle "hindsight", simply for the sake of background.  Hospitals are very experienced at accommodating those who necessarily use their services but are financially challenged.  Had you called their billing unit after the claim had been processed, they potentially might have extended a partial credit and set up generous payment arrangements for the balance (sometimes as little as $25-$50/mo on a $2000+ balance).

Having said that, I advise you belatedly to get in contact with their billing unit and indicate that you're hoping to resolve the unpaid debt -- explain you regret having not initiated something before, but you're having difficulty balancing things in general.  (The excuse doesn't matter ... they've heard it all and all they care about is salvaging something.)  Make sure you get contact information for the person you speak to so that you're able to call them specifically with any follow up questions.

Don't volunteer more than I've just suggested ... let them pick up the ball and run with it.  They may tell you the matter's been referred to an outside collector and that they're contractually bound to work through them.  If so, reply that you're anxious to move forward but extremely uncomfortable working with a collector given a general reputation for hardball tactics in which you don't wish to engage.  Ask what they might be able to do so that you can work with the hospital directly.  Impress upon them your earnestness in arriving at an arrangement and adhering to it.

If I haven't been blowing smoke at a brick wall (i.e., you see this), respond and I and others will follow constructively.

DO NOT FOLLOW "HDPORTER"'S ADVICE.

Any contact with the hospital will interfere with the HIPAA letter program.

Although possibly well intentioned this poster (hdporter) seems intent on interfering with any of my instructions.

On 4/13/2019 at 11:24 AM, WUMBO said:

Now that I think of it, I did have insurance. But I had the bill processed through my insurance twice and both times it was rejected because I was not admitted

Contact your insurance Co and find out if there is a valid reason they did not/do not cover ER services. Did you have a hospital only policy?/