Sign in to follow this  
mdcrabber

Student loan taken out by father

My spouse received a 30 day notice from a collection agency representing the Department of Education for a loan that his father (same name as him) evidently took out for him several years ago.  My husband is currently paying each month on the two loans that he took out himself with no issue.  

His father currently has early onset alzheimer's and is not being helpful when we tried to question him about the loan today after receiving the letter.  For some reason, the collector knows my husband's address and it is addressed only to His First/Last name which is the same as his father without a Middle initial or name.

My husband has also been receiving Medicare and retirement advertisements to our home and we questioned him why he was getting mailers at our home.  

Based on my reading here in the past, I know not contact the collector by phone.  Should we contact the Dept of Education directly?  Should we contact an attorney?   He has never received a bill for this loan in the past and has just been made aware of this loan today. 

Thank you for any assistance

Forgot to add this loan never has appeared on his reports, just the two that he took out himself and has been paying on for four years.

The phone can indeed be a very useful tool in reconnaissance, especially where the account is related to fraud.  There is zero reason to be afraid of your telephone...