Sign in to follow this  
hegemony

Do I attract bad guys? Three husbands and one boyfriend tried to steal my money

My parents were each married 3 times (I was the product of the 2nd marriage).  To a large extent, their acrimonious 13 year marriage is likely what led me to live with my wife-to-be for 8 years before we wed.  (Doubts on my part were more focused on my suitability for a life-long commitment in terms of temperament and stability than any concerns about her.)

I may occasionally hang my head in shame over the duration of those 8 years, but I entered matrimony confident we were good for the long run (married 25 yrs so far).

My poor choices:

- Crash Test Dummy With Hair

- The Cuban Who Couldn't Cook

- That one night with my friend's roommate

I was married for 8.5 years, then divorced; single for the past 20+ years and perfectly happy.   I am financially secure however, so being with someone is truly a matter of WANTING to be, not having to be.

I'm in my mid 50's and my perception is, if a guy wants to move in with me, red flags should go up, and if he wants to get married, flags.. bells. all of it.

Most financially secure single men my age are no more interested in marriage, than I am.

It  is just easier to have friends with benefits and everyone goes home to their own home.

Does that sound sad/lonely? It's not.  I have a dog for companionship  😉  I feel sorry for women and men who just trip from one bad relationship to another...  they don't understand that it's actually easier and less stressful being on your own.

Whatever. I once had a semi-girlfriend who thought of me solely as an ATM. Long story, so I won't go into details but she told me she reached a point in life where she can only eat at the finest restaurants. This wasn't for special occasions, but several times a week. Guess who had to pay? Me, because she lacked the money (no job or jumping from one low paying job to another). I would be dumpster diving for food right now if this relationship continued.

7 hours ago, Cactus Flower said:

I was married for 8.5 years, then divorced; single for the past 20+ years and perfectly happy.   I am financially secure however, so being with someone is truly a matter of WANTING to be, not having to be.

I'm in my mid 50's and my perception is, if a guy wants to move in with me, red flags should go up, and if he wants to get married, flags.. bells. all of it.

Most financially secure single men my age are no more interested in marriage, than I am.

It is just easier to have friends with benefits and everyone goes home to their own home.

Does that sound sad/lonely? It's not.  I have a dog for companionship  😉  I feel sorry for women and men who just trip from one bad relationship to another...  they don't understand that it's actually easier and less stressful being on your own.

Amen!

Can anyone see that giant empty space above my post? Also, I can't edit. :beee:

8 hours ago, Kat58 said:

Can anyone see that giant empty space above my post? Also, I can't edit. :beee:

Yep. I thought it was in purpose. An empty space = an empty wallet. B):mellow:

On 4/10/2019 at 9:21 AM, Cactus Flower said:

It  is just easier to have friends with benefits and everyone goes home to their own home.

+1,000.

On 4/10/2019 at 10:01 AM, Burgerwars said:

Whatever. I once had a semi-girlfriend who thought of me solely as an ATM. Long story, so I won't go into details but she told me she reached a point in life where she can only eat at the finest restaurants. This wasn't for special occasions, but several times a week. Guess who had to pay? Me, because she lacked the money (no job or jumping from one low paying job to another). I would be dumpster diving for food right now if this relationship continued.

That sounds entirely too familiar.