Sign in to follow this  
hegemony

There is a rigorous application process, and participants must have a credit card with a limit of at least $50,000.

I can understand the appeal. Going to the theater has become an awful experience, and it's mainly due to the audience and their poor manners and cell phone addictions. But rather than shell out thousands of dollars for a "red carpet" viewing, I just wait until the movies I want to see are available on disc or streaming. I usually don't have to wait more than 3-4 months anymore.  There are still a couple of theaters in town that I like, where more serious people go to see movies. One of them is an art cinema that also shows some current hit movies. But if the movie I want to see isn't playing at one of those two theaters, I just wait it out and watch it at home. 

5 hours ago, Burdell said:

I can understand the appeal. Going to the theater has become an awful experience, and it's mainly due to the audience and their poor manners and cell phone addictions. But rather than shell out thousands of dollars for a "red carpet" viewing, I just wait until the movies I want to see are available on disc or streaming. I usually don't have to wait more than 3-4 months anymore.  There are still a couple of theaters in town that I like, where more serious people go to see movies. One of them is an art cinema that also shows some current hit movies. But if the movie I want to see isn't playing at one of those two theaters, I just wait it out and watch it at home. 

100%

People suck and that is a huge component to why I own a projector.  Movies at home means I don't have to deal with anyone obnoxious, get to enjoy whatever snacks and adult beverages I want and you can pause for bathroom breaks (the later being a blessing and a curse).

These guys seem to understand their niche.  If people will pay, why not.

For all the money they're asking for, no matter if I'm a zillionaire, I'll still go to the movie theater.  If you watch a new film, even the most popular, after a couple weeks the crowds thin out.  Then going to the first showing of the day, you'll should have pretty much an empty theater.  No obnoxious people left.  That's the ways things are in my part of the world (the West San Fernando Valley).

I wonder how this company even knows you have a credit card with a $50,000+ limit.  Do they run an authorization for that amount through, even though that's way beyond what they're going to bill you?  Even if they did that, that's not your credit limit but what's left of your limit.  A $50,000 authorization out-of-the-blue would probably be a red flag at the credit card company.  Unless you provide proof, like a credit card statement, they probably wouldn't know.

Anyway, a $50,000 limit doesn't prove anything.  Many filthy-rich people can't get approved for that amount, while the not-filthy-rich (that's me :( ), managed to get that limit by combining two pre-approved offers from PenFed over a decade ago.